WD TV Live Firmware Update - Version 1.02.21

Someone said their WDTV Live updated automatically. I hope mine doesn’t. I like it the way it is.

Seems like WD has labored and brought forth a mouse with this firmware. There are much bigger problems to tackle than folder jpg’s, IMHO.

If the firmware bricked your unit, contact WD and tell them, and ask for a return shipment authorization. There are contact links on WD’s main web site.

Someone else said their unit works better than it used to. Glad to hear it. I wonder why they don’t all behave the same way, though.

And someone else said the support for this unit is better than for the original WDTV! Wow, that previous unit must have been a REAL P.I.T.A.

This support forum reminds me of the forum I used to visit to complain about my DirecTV R-15 DVR. What a pain that was, too. Most of the problems I experienced with that DVR were resolved after about two years of complaining, and it still is quirky. I don’t foresee keeping my WDTV Live that long. There are too many options coming out, like BluRay players that will connect to the internet and play Netflix videos on demand. WD has made noises about including Netflix someday, but that’s probably marketing talk intended to keep us from abandoning ship. We’ll see as time goes on.

I did the update last night and I immediately noticed a playback problem on some xvid files. Video did not play smoothly as it should. I have not tried my mkvs with DTS sound yet. I will do a reset and factory defaults reset, if that does not work I will have to downgrade.

I have a problem playing .mp4 files after updating to the new firmware. This issue needs resolving asap. I cannot believe wdtv programmers aren’t more careful with updates after the last furore.

I have the exact same issue. Since upgrading I no longer have any artwork in Album mode . It only displays when I get to the individual songs, wheras it used to work fine

have the same problem

Slow playback after 5-10 min.

After firmware updated I resetted the box with side button, removed power. reset default.

Seemed to be working for half a day and now the problem is back

With previous firmwares I had problems connecting to share folders, but  at least I could watch the movies.

Now the connections are much better, but  I CANNOT ENJOY ANY MOVIE with this new bug.

Plus all my folders wont display thumbnails anymore.

I have allways defended the WDTV Live but now I’m really fed up.

How come It gets worst every update !?

How is it possble that for one corrected problem more bugs comes out ?!

Bad Product and even worst support ! Booo ;(

If film I ovecome it during a playback the FF(Fast Forward) button afterwards the NEXT button, rides slowly the video!
Super!

Thanks!

I did the factory reset/unplug. It appears it is fixed, for now.  Time will tell. I was able to play about 50% through a DTS MKV last night before the audio started dropping out completely.> I’ll report back. Thanks> * * *
richUK wrote:

RobDeep wrote:

Same here. Seems like DTS mkvs are totally hosed. I get audio for a bit, then it cuts out until I power cycle my a/v receiver. Other mkvs with DTS don’t play audio at all.

Really disappointing firmware… wtf. Going back to the previous version

Have you tried resetting to factory defaults using the internal menu and recycling the power (leave it off for a few minutes). Sometimes this is needed when upgrading the firmware. I have had problems when upgrading but it always has been sorted by this means.

Sigh… audio started dropping out after about 2 hours of play. This time DTS mkvs and DD5.1 - So much for this firmware. 

Well. Up until now I saw my freenas with pictures and movies, I could stream from Win 7 machines. Not anymore. There is no media in the current folder that is all I get. Any help would be appreciated. I redid my user names and password still no media.

Thank You

PlayOn  seems to have stopped working after the upgrade.

In this FW the users/passwords for the network shares are not retained.  It works fine if you have only 1 network share.  However, if you have more than one shares (multiple Network Attached Storages), it always reset to anonymous.  This is really annoying.  Does anyone has a work around for this? 

- NETWORK SHARES PROBLEM  PARTIALLY SOLVED ! ! ! ! !

The problem is with jumbo frames that your router and/or NAS has.

Disable Jumbo Frames and then all network shares should be available without problems again.

regards to all

ps Hey guys there at WD: YOU SHOULD TEST your firmwares…

Its not very nice to make your users nerves spaggeti…

I experiencing sometimes a slow/choppy playback, usally after 30-45 min of play. When I pause the video and after few seconds I play it again i becomes smooth.

Also, I tried some .mov trailers downloaded from Apple and they are all choppy, always.

This happens with the current firmware, but also with all previous verison i tried.

I have a Synology 207+ with 500gb drive, a 1tb usb plugged into port 1 fat32, a 500gb usb plugged into port 2 formatted fat32 and 2 pc’s with windows 7 that I share on the network. My router is a DLink DIR-655. Everything is hard wired using 4 pair so that I get the benefit of GB lan on the adaptors capable of that. I have the newest firmware on my WD TV Live.

Apart from having to remove my login info from the WD TV Live after upgrading and reconnecting to my shares I have had none of the issues everyone here is encountering. Everything connects quickly with no stuttering. I’ve had no issues with desynced audio. DTS in the MKV files I have seems fine. We watched for about 6 hours yesterday.

I too am having problems with accessing network shares with this latest firmware release.  I’ve tried everything suggested here, soft reset, hard reset, powering down for an extended period, reset router, rebooting everything, etc., but with no success.  About the only thing I haven’t tried is lighting incense and chanting during power-up!  :slight_smile:  I’ve reverted back to the previous firmware version and everything works fine. 

UNSUPPORTED AUDIO SIGNAL. (on MKV files)

previous firmware no such problem, after updating to 1.02.21 UNSUPPORTED AUDIO SIGNAL appeared.  WD please fix this, don’t tell me it my settings or set up.

THERE IS NO MEDIA IN THE CURRENT FOLDER

Shares on my Windows 7 (64bit) PC are not accessible anymore. Shares on my laptop (Windows XP) CAN be accessed from WDTV Live. I can access the Win 7 shares from XP.

Rolling back the firmware to 1.01.24 gave the Win 7 shares again.

Seems the problem is that the firmware is using the login name “anonymous” regardless of what is entered in the Username field.  A Wireshark capture on the network port of my Media Server PC shows this username being used as a login name.  Don’t know if creating such a user on my Windows 7 machine would actually help.

Thank you sir! This fixes it perfectly!

Grr… Made the mistake of updating without seeing what others had wrote.

Have noticed MP4’s I can now FWD and RWD so happy with that!

However, Network share died, but easily resolved by resting the settings and putting in User Name and Password, then clicking on the ‘Remember Password’ under Network Settings.

However, REALLY ticked off that my THUMBNAILS no longer come up! Only JPG files that are names ‘folder.jpg’!!! I took all that time renaming JPG’s to reflect the name of the file in the folder…

Hope WD resolve this issue!! I really dont want to have to rename everything all over again! Why don’t you just Hide .JPG extension while in ‘Video Mode’. This would resolve the issue of having to see both the .JPG and .Movie file. Then again that was the issue WHEN the thumbnails were actually working, BEFORE I Updated!

I appreciate that WD are bringing out better Firmware updates, however, starting to fear future Firmware updates!