WD TV Live Firmware Pre-release Update

go download!!!

The 1.02.14 file that I just downloaded has the header in the ver file as

VERSION=‘1.02.15’

LOCATION=‘wdtvlive.bin’

PKG_LOCATION=‘wdtvlive.pkg’

VERSION=‘1.02.15’

which I believe is the go back file to .24

Can I advise that you treat this file as dubious as it may be just the .24 file.

downloading via Bill’s original web link. very slow download. Size is only about 2mb

OOps 28 MB

I would suggest that you download again as another version has just been added which has the correct ver code and the file size is 31.9Mb. You have to love WD don’t you. In The UK we have a saying about ‘**** ups in a brewery’.

1 Like

http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/wdtvlive_1_02_14.zip - This is the correct firmware file. Sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

[text deleted] , I tried upldating from the previous link and it didn’t update and gave stupid response , now I’ll try the new link

richUK wrote:

I would suggest that you download again as another version has just been added which has the correct ver code and the file size is 31.9Mb. You have to love WD don’t you. In The UK we have a saying about ‘**** ups in a brewery’.

Hopefully people read this first as it’s true; the original 1.02.14 file was really a rollback file / 0.24.

Downloading again gets the real 1.02.14 prerelease.

Installing now…  and done!

The rebooting spinner will be there a LONG time, be patient.

–Feedback–

M4V support is nice, multiple audio / sub streams seems to be working now, along with FF/RW.  Still a bit glitchy in terms of how fast the movie resumes playing following FF/RW.  File will pause for a few seconds following FF/RW and up to 10 seconds sometimes following changing audio stream.  Seems to affect MP4 files too, so I guess M4V and MP4 support is the same now.  :)

Files are taking longer to open… or at least MKV files seem to.  Tried a few smaller files and it took a full 80 seconds for anything to show onscreen, which is terrible.  Tried with a full length movie MKV and same issue, delay in excess of 1 minute before film plays.  :(

Tried power cycling, made no difference.

Ironically, network access / display or network share folders seems faster than ever! 

1 Like

Hi,

So my box cannot see the update. Do I need to do anything specifically to reference the USB port ??

Thanks,

tried mine, won’t play mkv files at all. Waited over a minute nothing, just the cycling wheel. Looks like I am going to downgrade.

macdonm2 wrote:

Hi,

So my box cannot see the update. Do I need to do anything specifically to reference the USB port ??

Thanks,

You unzip the archive first and place the 3 files in the root.

Comment:

Well, now you have a nice spread of font sizes :slight_smile:

That works well - of course they are still too high up on the screen, would be nice with some vertical adjustment, but I understand that is likely to come in the future :slight_smile:

I left an MKV file “loading” for a few minutes and it did eventually play but we’re taking a lot of minutes (I forgot about it tbh and just heard it start now!).

Will play around to check out the other features but I can see myself downgrading also; solid MKV support is absolutely critical to me.  They MUST fix this before the final release.

Yes I did that. PC can see the files no probs.

Thanks.

First Impressions.

You must do a factory default reset once the update is through. Reason for this is that when I started I could play my films fine via the media server but when I switched to network share I could not play anything, no movies, no music, no photos, no Youtube . A software reset corrected this.

Films  - play fine. Seems a little quicker but probably placebo effect. Some seem slightly more vibrant.

Photos  -Here is the big plus. A few days a go I posted that some of my jpegs modified in photoshop would not show. RichUK thought this was due to the encoding being prgreessive. Well they display fine now.

Music  -not tested yet but I don’t play music thorugh this anyway.

Interface  -no change.

Thumbnails - sighhhhhhh

Video listing defaults to preview mode. Works well except I wish there was some way in which the preview wouild start in the middle of the film. Instead it starts from teh beginnin gwhich means you get the Fox logo or similar credits.

Youtube - seems fine. Hate Youtube for denying HD content to us. Come on WD add other services asap or allow us a way of manually adding them.

Question for those of you saying your MKVs are loading slowly: Are you all playing them through a network share, or is anyone having problems with MKVs through USB or media servers?

wolfmanii wrote:

tried mine, won’t play mkv files at all. Waited over a minute nothing, just the cycling wheel. Looks like I am going to downgrade.

You MUSt factory reset to solve this. I had the same problem.

Guy_K wrote:

Question for those of you saying your MKVs are loading slowly: Are you all playing them through a network share, or is anyone having problems with MKVs through USB or media servers?

Guy,

See my comment above. As soon as I switched to network share something went wrong. But onced I factory reset I can no-longer replicate this problem. It is as if the settings I had interfered with the new firmware. Other than that it looks good and seems stable to me.

Try doing a factory reset on your unit (after updating) if you are having problems playing files etc. - This solved a lot of issues for me in the last update that simply power cycling it didn’t

I was trying mkv’s through network share