Reset Factory Defaults 100 Times

Seriously its getting old

First it wont play any files, “this media is not suported” but magically works after a factory reset…

Then its my password is invalid for network share when  I dont even have one… then magically works after a factory reset.

Ive had to reset the dang thing atleast 100 times, about 3-4 times a week… any suggestions?  Also I got the newest firmware from the beta test.

Ok now its asking for username and password and I have never set one… and it keeps saying invalid when I use anonymous…

Here is a screenshot of my setting…

What am I doing wrong now… I havent touched anything and its been working for months.  All my folders are set to share on for everyone.

If it was working in the past but doesn’t now it may well be that Windows Live Assistant has gotten installed on your system (since MS does that behind the scenes if you’re not careful).  Check your computer to see (look in “Uninstall Programs”).

If it’s there that’s your problem – but the solution isn’t always easy (since uninstalling it doesn’t always completely remove it).

…you also need to make sure that the folders and files are accessible to “EVERYONE” in the sharing settings for that folder.

I ddi recently install it, let me uninstall all that ■■■■. Ill see what happens

It worked, I dont get it, what does Windows Live Essentials have to do with anything though?  What would the username and password be if I did have it installed?

Microsoft’s new LIVE architecture REMOVES the capability for “Legacy” samba devices to authenticate, even if valid credentials are provided.

Secondly, Microsoft attached “Tokens” to the Client Security Policy Negotation packets that (though legal) caused errors with the SAMBA libraries used by almost every Samba implementation out there in Linux-land.  It’s not just WDTV that had issues; quite a number of other devices that used Samba were hit with this change.

In order for this to be corrected, the “appliance” vendors will need to compile in the VERY LATEST version of Samba code; code which was only patched and made available a month or two ago.

Ohh, Ok.  Dang I am really out of date on all the microsoft stuff.

Well thank you again, hopefully wd releases a big public update with tons of fixes to this and mkvmerge 4.1 stuff and then everyone should be happy.