Occasional Advisor
edbrenner

Re: Request Official WD Response

I'm beginning to wonder myself about an update.

First it was January, now maybe February.

I guess I'll stop holding out ... and just buy a second Apple TV2 unit and dump WD.

Regular Advisor
80sGuy

For some reasons, they're only updating the 'LIVE STREAMING' and '1TB HUB'...but this Live Plus is left in the cold.

Honored Contributor
Techflaws

Well, to update the LIVE is a must since PGS subs still don't work which can be annyoing with forced subs.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better

Philips DVP3260/5990 FAQ
Regular Advisor
George19855

@Techflaws

You have right.In KRaLiMaRKo releases they have force pgs subtitles from blu-ray and the wd live cant play these subs.Completely annoying.

And for a conclusion i think WD will prepare something big.A firmware that will change the WD live to a way better and more stable player.I believe it will be the last firmware for this player.They cant leave this good player with the **bleep**ty 1.06.15 firmware.

So if Bill_S say that there will be a firmware in Late February i believe him and we can just wait.The things only can get better with a new 7 months firmware.

Advisor
kyosti

I'm quite pessimistic about the approach that WD seems to be taking now: Doing major changes, and only releasing it once and finally. Their track record of releasing major changes is quite bad after all.

So I'm afraid we'll get a buggy version as a testament for WDTV live.

Advisor
schnoid

I feel pretty crappy about recommending the WDTV Live to so many of my friends and family. I've probably sold at least 5 of these boxes and when people ask me about updates, all I can say is... "uh, I dunno what the heck's going on at WD". I mainly bought the WDTV Live for the awesome ability to stream HD movies over my network. I was hoping to get that and some additional features, but everything else just fell to the waste side and each firmware revision seemed to take away functionality that I liked. I've been tempted to upgrade to the WDTV Live Streaming but after all the **bleep** I've gone through with my WDTV Live, I feel like I'm just giving my money to a company that doesn't care about it's customers.  :smileysad:   No update since August... man, kinda crazy.

Honored Contributor
richUK

schnoid wrote:

I feel pretty crappy about recommending the WDTV Live to so many of my friends and family. I've probably sold at least 5 of these boxes and when people ask me about updates, all I can say is... "uh, I dunno what the heck's going on at WD". I mainly bought the WDTV Live for the awesome ability to stream HD movies over my network. I was hoping to get that and some additional features, but everything else just fell to the waste side and each firmware revision seemed to take away functionality that I liked. I've been tempted to upgrade to the WDTV Live Streaming but after all the **bleep** I've gone through with my WDTV Live, I feel like I'm just giving my money to a company that doesn't care about it's customers.  :smileysad:   No update since August... man, kinda crazy.

When you purchased this player did it say anywhere that it would come with regular (or any) updates. Never assume anything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WDTV Live Streaming; WDTV Live; WD Live Hub; My Book Live. Running Windows XP on a PC / Laptop.
Respected Contributor
Wayne

And if you'd have read the thread, you might have tripped over this...

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Firmware/Request-Official-WD-Response/m-p/343661#M14792

Advisor
schnoid

yes, I realize you can never assume anything, but I hate to say it, but regular software updates for a new device are pretty much an expectation these days, especially when updates come quite frequently at the beginning and continuously break things. I have never experienced so many significant software screwups on any device I've owned. Yes, I like the streaming capability of my WDTV Live, but that's not going to get me to continue to recommend the device to friends and family. A couple years ago I was recommending it to everyone, but with such a bad update experience, I generally tell people to get another device.

In response to an update expected in February, I'm quite skeptical about that. Haven't had an update since August and every update since 3 years ago has consistently broken something.

Occasional Advisor
edbrenner

Well I just got an email from Blockbuster dot com that says at the end of March they will no longer be supporting my WDTV Live Plus.

I guess that tells me where WD stands on providing and update to the firmware.

Time to move forward I guess and replace my Live Plus units with Apple TV.

So sad that WD can't provide us with some feedback. Seems they could careless as they got my money so what does it matter to them.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD