Request Official WD Response

Now that the new WDTV Live “3” has been announced, owners of the WDTV Live and WD TV Live Plus want to know the fate of our devices.  Will there be any further firmware updates?

1 Like

There was new firmware for the hub. If we don’t see anything available in the next couple of days, we can assume our platform is dead.

it would be sad as the live/live+ still have useful life out of it.

My wife uses spofity quite heavily, and integration with our live+ device would be fantastic.

Time will tell

Sad, but looks like they decide even do not fix bugs with auto frame rate and drive detect introduced in 1.06.15 firmware.

Story repeate like in case of wdtv gen 2 :( 

I would hope they would release one last firmware update to get their legacy products as stable as possible. These things will sell on the secondary market for a long time. If not, that is a bit disappointing to leave older customers in the cold to gain newer ones. Hopefully they realize older customers can become repeat customers if they see the value in the product.

On a side note, what is Nesvic doing in the Plus forum? Changing every single status to New?

mu51c10rd wrote:

On a side note, what is Nesvic doing in the Plus forum? Changing every single status to New?

This is only a guess:

They’re re-structuring the IDEAS LAB, and starting fresh, but not deleting all the posts.   My guess would imply that the status won’t remain “New” for long.

We’ll see…  

This is the end, my firiends…

Long live to brad and others who suports  this project…until when?

There will be at least 1 more firmware release according to WD.  If there aren’t anymore after that Bill_S will let us know.  Don’t worry so much about it yet.

1 Like

As I understand it, there will be at least one more firmware update for the Live and Live Plus.  After that, I don’t know.   However, if it we stop supporting either one of those, I will surely let you know. 

3 Likes

Oh, and concerning the Ideas Exchanges, we are doing some restructuring for internal purposes.  We were using blank statuses on the newly posted ideas, and that made them unsearchable.  Adding the New was to only make the blank ideas status searchable. 

1 Like

Bill_S wrote:

As I understand it, there will be at least one more firmware update for the Live and Live Plus.  After that, I don’t know.   However, if it we stop supporting either one of those, I will surely let you know. 

This may be a dumb question/comment, but WD did continue to release FW updates for the Live even after the Plus came out.  Why would the latest Live product release result in anything different?

Guys, if they have not managed to fix our WDTV’s by now expect nothing more from them.

This was the last WD product i will buy, they can make how many media players they want i will not buy a single one.

My eyes are on something else called AC Ryan something… one of their models… and if you check the forums there are not so many dissapointed users like here.

Thanks and for your effort WD … :\

1 Like

It is sad to see Western treats its customers like that. I can totally understand not developping new features for a legacy product, I really have no problem with that. But not fixing the bugs really disapoints me. I was expecting more from a company like Western. I feel cheated by paying for a product that doesn’t live to its promises.

1 Like

ToddeSwe wrote:

Guys, if they have not managed to fix our WDTV’s by now expect nothing more from them.

This was the last WD product i will buy, they can make how many media players they want i will not buy a single one.

My eyes are on something else called AC Ryan something… one of their models… and if you check the forums there are not so many dissapointed users like here.

If you look at ac ryan website. it doesn’t offer half the features that the wd does. Granted it does have features the wd lacks. Also about 2x time the price. So not really in the same market segment. You are really comparing apples to oranges. It’s also not fair to WD to assume that your individual problem can be applied to every player. We truly don’t know how many of these players WD has sold. There are probably a few hundred posters on the forum, vs a few thousand if not more who have bought these devices. WD has been a pretty decent provider of support for a device that is over 2+ years old. Not many electronics manufacture even support your product for a year much less 2.  They have fixed many of the bugs, but each firmware produces more potential for bugs, it’s a constantly moving target.
I know they don’t have a perfect player out there, however I have yet to see one. (i’m looking at you roku, boxee, apple tv).

I wish the best of luck with your new media player!! I know my wife would greatly miss hulu+ and netflix if we moved players. Beside i’d have to teach her a brand new UI.

Nathan7545 wrote:

ToddeSwe wrote:

If you look at ac ryan website. it doesn’t offer half the features that the wd does. Granted it does have features the wd lacks. Also about 2x time the price. So not really in the same market segment. You are really comparing apples to oranges. It’s also not fair to WD to assume that your individual problem can be applied to every player. We truly don’t know how many of these players WD has sold. There are probably a few hundred posters on the forum, vs a few thousand if not more who have bought these devices. WD has been a pretty decent provider of support for a device that is over 2+ years old. Not many electronics manufacture even support your product for a year much less 2.  They have fixed many of the bugs, but each firmware produces more potential for bugs, it’s a constantly moving target.
I know they don’t have a perfect player out there, however I have yet to see one. (i’m looking at you roku, boxee, apple tv).

I wish the best of luck with your new media player!! I know my wife would greatly miss hulu+ and netflix if we moved players. Beside i’d have to teach her a brand new UI.

I only wish that they could fix bugs before adding new features. And AC Ryan HD model was on sale here in Sweden at the same price i bought my WD Live for. :slight_smile: So for me it’s in the same segment for me. :slight_smile: I’ll keep my fingers crossed for the next firmware as allways :slight_smile: Before i stop using my WD.

tjkaz wrote:

Bill_S wrote:

This may be a dumb question/comment, but WD did continue to release FW updates for the Live even after the Plus came out.  Why would the latest Live product release result in anything different?

I don’t know that it will, but if it does, I’ll let you know.

1 Like

My guess is revisions for the old Live and Live Plus will taper off (maybe one more if we are lucky) since it seems clear WD’s strategy is to have the same code base for both the New Live and the Hub.

So, it’s the end of the line for ours Live.  Now we have two options - buy the new Live or the new Asus.

If they think they can get away and not care, we can always pull a ‘Netflix’ on them, because losing a million customers won’t be cool!

Pfffft… the WDTV Live “upgrades” were a HUGE joke towards the end. WD’s strategy is to make money selling huge volumes of  cheaply manufactured, sub-$100 disposable players. You get what you pay for folks! Best way to make your point to WD is to just stop buying their crappy players.

2 Likes

guys i had the new model of wdtv live steamer, and like other WD products, crappy firmware, right now for example thumbnails and backgrounds are being corrupted, the unit overheats and wireless remains poor.

Ive plugged back in my WDTV Live unit with WDLXTV , honestly im getting refund on the new unit and i will never buy another WD product.

The firmware support is shocking.

2 Likes