Request Official WD Response

richUK wrote:

And how many updates will Microsoft issue after the release to cure bugs etc. Bill has already stated that WD are going to release an update. How do you know that 15-20 people on this forum don’t already have beta firmware for testing, the answer is that you don’t.

eeehhmmm… This is just an example to compare the time spent for the update… Of course you cannot compare a full OS to an embeded OS that only has to play media files… This thread was started July 2011… nearly 8 months ago… and during this period the “update is coming” (much like “Winter is coming”).

I don’t know if people from this  forum  have a beta version of the firmware… I cannot follow the whole forum. It is clear enough that i wrote about this  thread , and there is no mention in here that a quite open beta testing is going on… If it is mentioned somewhere, my apologies. Case is that  I can contribute, and I guess a number of other users would do that as well…

From my experience as a programmer, if you only have one shot (which seems to be the case), then spend any resources available for testing (preferably on a wider testing base). This way, you might be able to catch more bugs and thus offer a more stable release…

Simple as that and no need to argue with each other (and please do not try to support WD! As a customer, as well, I am aware of the whole situation).

user9 wrote:

richUK wrote:

And how many updates will Microsoft issue after the release to cure bugs etc. Bill has already stated that WD are going to release an update. How do you know that 15-20 people on this forum don’t already have beta firmware for testing, the answer is that you don’t.

eeehhmmm… This is just an example to compare the time spent for the update… Of course you cannot compare a full OS to an embeded OS that only has to play media files… This thread was started July 2011… nearly 8 months ago… and during this period the “update is coming” (much like “Winter is coming”).

I don’t know if people from this  forum  have a beta version of the firmware… I cannot follow the whole forum. It is clear enough that i wrote about this  thread , and there is no mention in here that a quite open beta testing is going on… If it is mentioned somewhere, my apologies. Case is that  I can contribute, and I guess a number of other users would do that as well…

From my experience as a programmer, if you only have one shot (which seems to be the case), then spend any resources available for testing (preferably on a wider testing base). This way, you might be able to catch more bugs and thus offer a more stable release…

Simple as that and no need to argue with each other (and please do not try to support WD! As a customer, as well, I am aware of the whole situation).

I am not ‘supporting’ WD or ‘arguing’ just putting my opinion on a user to user forum. WD don’t normally advertise any firmware updates so when they actually confirm that they are working on it, then I for one are minded to believe them. Unfortunately WD do not operate in a ‘common sense’ way and thats probably why they always put out buggy firmware.

user9 wrote:

I don’t know if people from this  forum  have a beta version of the firmware…

Now you do and it’s a closed beta, btw.

While I appreciate your response.  I fear you have misunderstood what im after.  I want to use more than 2 external drives AND be able to use 3TB HDDs (ie: 5 3TB HDDs hooked up at once.  4 on a USB HUB and one more on the second WDTV+ port)

Right now, the official WD firmware allows 3TB HDDs, but does NOT allow a simple 4 port USB HUB to extend library capacity.  Its my understanding that this was a feature at one time that for w/e reason was taken away (I may be mistaken).  There is also an unofficial firmware that has the ability to to run a USB HUB, but can not run 3TB HDDs.  I know theres the whole “updated kernel” drama preventing them from adding the 3TB support.  Regardless, I would expect and prefer this simple feature to be provided officially.

WD, a leader in the HDD industry of all people shouldnt have a limit of 2 drives.  If im a HDD manufacturer,  I want to sell more HDDs.  Why wouldnt I give people a good reason to buy more product?  This just seems like such a no brainer.  Why in the world would you even THINK about limiting the HDD to only 2?  I simply am baffled that this request has been floating around these boards for as long as it has.  So rather than inform the users or provide an option that clearly seems possible in the units weve purchased, we are offered to buy a new unit that does everything we want.  Even on your feature requests one shows its being worked on while another shows its not being considered.  How are we the end user supposed to have any faith or optimism in what to expect when the people here to help dont seem to know whats going on?

Maybe releasing this “updated kernel” to the un-official group isnt a bad idea.  At least it would keep me with WD.  If im going to be forced into buying a new unit, as my patients wear thin, im going to think twice about giving more money to WD.  I dont need all the bells and whistles that some do.  Multiple HDDs (more than 2) and media center are all I need.  Insane that this would be too much to ask from a company as big as WD.

Im new to posting here, but have read through a good bit of the forums here.  I sorry  to tell you but im already starting to feel like one of  the Sneetches on the beaches and WD is Sylvester McMonkey McBean (Dr Seuss)

““My friends”, he announced in a voice clear and clean,
“My name is Sylvester McMonkey McBean.
And I’ve heard of Your troubles. I’ve heard you’re unhappy.
But I can fix that, I’m the Fix-It-Up Chappie.
I’ve come here to help you.
I have what you need.
And my prices are low. And I work with great speed.
And my work is one hundred per cent guaranteed!”
Then, quickly, Sylvester McMonkey McBean
Put together a very peculiar machine.”

1 Like

Bill, I for one appreciate all you do, but this seems a bit ridicuous at this stage.

This dates all the way back to October 2011.

Dec 15th is was down to “a couple issues to iron out”.

Dec 20th “beginning of the year”.

Jan 31 it was going to be February.

February 16, and I know Blockbuster’s decision has to do with the way they do things not WD, but come on Bill so I’m supposed to sit here with a WD unit that shows Blockbuster but can’t use it.?.

Feb 22nd, Planning a release.

And then … to no one’s suprise they need more time with testing and such.

And here we still sit wondering … will we ever see an update?

1 Like

If WD simply realized that it could differentiate itself by being the premium NAS streamer device with a few “Core” apps at a $99 or less price point it would sell like crazy.  CORE APPS: Pandora, Netflix, YouTube.  That’s it.  You want more apps, buy a Roku or ATV.  But, if you want na awesome streamer buy WD…that should be how they position themselves.

It’s common sense, WDs core business is hard drives!  I love their new MyBook Live NASs.  Why they don’t focus their Media player to be a bare bones yet best in class DLNA NAS streamer is crazy. Clearly, that could be their differentiator.  Stop trying to go toe to toe with Roku and ATV on apps.  Win in the space that is complementary to your core business…streaming from NASs.  The other players don’t do it or don’t do it well.

Oh and by the way, part of being a best in class streaming device is making sure that the stream acts exactly like a DVD, meaning menu support must work flawlessly.

Any updates on new firmwares? I’m sick of the microstuttering in VC-1 and some Xvid Files :frowning: ( On Local and Lan )

Bill?  WD?  Anyone?  hello…echo…echo…echo.

I guess we can close the book on this streamer.  That last firmware update is a myth I guess.

Or not.

As far as I know, it’s still for real.  I’ll check into it to see if there’s any updates on time.

1 Like

Hey Bill, is there an update on the time it’s going to take you to find out the update timeframe on the (mythical) wd tv live firmware? LOL 

I’m still looking into this.  I’ll post any news as soon as I can.

1 Like

I know it’s Monday, but I still haven’t heard anything that I can post.  I do know they’re still working on it, though. 

1 Like

do you know what problems they’re having? Any idea what they’re working on? Is there more than one person working on this firmware? Just curious… I know u probably won’t answer any of these questions, but it’s always good to hear that you haven’t abanded us even if u don’t have any answers.

I have lost almost all faith in western digital with their mediocre support of the wdtv live. The fact that their firmwares are so full of bugs has really turned me off from purchasing any more of your products. And the extreme lack of updates is plain killing me. Bill I hope your team knows how many frustrated customers you have made by selling a product with such poor support.

Bill , us wd tv live owners feel as if WD has abandoned support for this unit altogether since there hasn’t been any word on when this (mythical firmware) will be released and i see them release new firmware for live smp and hub. It would be nice to hear the truth instead of being strung along…

The truth is that we are waiting on something that we can’t move forward with the releases until we have.  That’s all I can say.  But we have invested the time in preparing for this release.  So, it’s going to happen.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update Bill.

1 Like

You are welcome. 

Thanks Bill, nice to know your on top of things (no Joke intended) lol. I don’t know how much you can say , but i would like to know if the firmware has been tested and is a go …pending this particular app you’re waiting on? might it be a podcast app?