Request Official WD Response

@ Techflaws

You have right.In KRaLiMaRKo releases they have force pgs subtitles from blu-ray and the wd live cant play these subs.Completely annoying.

And for a conclusion i think WD will prepare something big.A firmware that will change the WD live to a way better and more stable player.I believe it will be the last firmware for this player.They cant leave this good player with the **bleep**ty 1.06.15 firmware.

So if Bill_S say that there will be a firmware in Late February i believe him and we can just wait.The things only can get better with a new 7 months firmware.

I’m quite pessimistic about the approach that WD seems to be taking now: Doing major changes, and only releasing it once and finally. Their track record of releasing major changes is quite bad after all.

So I’m afraid we’ll get a buggy version as a testament for WDTV live.

I feel pretty crappy about recommending the WDTV Live to so many of my friends and family. I’ve probably sold at least 5 of these boxes and when people ask me about updates, all I can say is… “uh, I dunno what the heck’s going on at WD”. I mainly bought the WDTV Live for the awesome ability to stream HD movies over my network. I was hoping to get that and some additional features, but everything else just fell to the waste side and each firmware revision seemed to take away functionality that I liked. I’ve been tempted to upgrade to the WDTV Live Streaming but after all the **bleep** I’ve gone through with my WDTV Live, I feel like I’m just giving my money to a company that doesn’t care about it’s customers.  :(   No update since August… man, kinda crazy.

schnoid wrote:

I feel pretty crappy about recommending the WDTV Live to so many of my friends and family. I’ve probably sold at least 5 of these boxes and when people ask me about updates, all I can say is… “uh, I dunno what the heck’s going on at WD”. I mainly bought the WDTV Live for the awesome ability to stream HD movies over my network. I was hoping to get that and some additional features, but everything else just fell to the waste side and each firmware revision seemed to take away functionality that I liked. I’ve been tempted to upgrade to the WDTV Live Streaming but after all the **bleep** I’ve gone through with my WDTV Live, I feel like I’m just giving my money to a company that doesn’t care about it’s customers.  :(   No update since August… man, kinda crazy.

When you purchased this player did it say anywhere that it would come with regular (or any) updates. Never assume anything.

And if you’d have read the thread, you might have tripped over this…

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Firmware/Request-Official-WD-Response/m-p/343661#M14792

yes, I realize you can never assume anything, but I hate to say it, but regular software updates for a new device are pretty much an expectation these days, especially when updates come quite frequently at the beginning and continuously break things. I have never experienced so many significant software screwups on any device I’ve owned. Yes, I like the streaming capability of my WDTV Live, but that’s not going to get me to continue to recommend the device to friends and family. A couple years ago I was recommending it to everyone, but with such a bad update experience, I generally tell people to get another device.

In response to an update expected in February, I’m quite skeptical about that. Haven’t had an update since August and every update since 3 years ago has consistently broken something.

Well I just got an email from Blockbuster dot com that says at the end of March they will no longer be supporting my WDTV Live Plus.

I guess that tells me where WD stands on providing and update to the firmware.

Time to move forward I guess and replace my Live Plus units with Apple TV.

So sad that WD can’t provide us with some feedback. Seems they could careless as they got my money so what does it matter to them.

This has nothing to do with us.  This is a Blockbuster issue and decision.  And a firmware update is not going to fix it.

Call WD and explain the issue and have them ‘upgrade’ you either the 1TB HUB or newest LIVE Streaming. The only thing is that the units are refurbished but looked new, which is still better than the sh!tty LIVE PLUS. That’s what I did and this is how I’m enjoying my HUB these days.

So what was the specifics of the issues you provided to be able to upgrade to the hub, and was there any cost to you?

Please be specific in how you obtained an upgrade.  Thanks…Scott

i’m guessing they wouldn’t replace my original WDTV Live for the new Live Streaming? You’d probably have to be within the warranty period to get the Live Streaming.

I’m not sure if they’ll do anything post-warranty. I’ve only had the LIVE PLUS for less than 3 months when I spoke to them. I’m also a long time WD customer and have owned (and registered) many of their products so maybe that helps too. The reason for my calls were NOT about repairs nor warranty-related. I called them regarding my major complaint for their lack of firmware support to the LIVE PLUS. I told them I didn’t like the fact that the latest firmware had screwed up my media subtitles and handicapped other features/functions which rendered my unit almost impossible to use. I also compared the numerous (firmware) supports to the HUB and LIVE STREAMING and they finally gave me three choices:

1. Exchange for another of the same model (LIVE PLUS) but will receive refurbished unit. I said no way!
  2. Exchange for a different model (1TB HUB or newest LIVE STREAMING) also refurbished.
  3. or Full refund. (but they were trying to steer me clear of this)

I decided to give WD another try and went with option #2 (1TB HUB) and told them I’d like to try out both. Two weeks later, I was curious to see how the LIVE STREAMING ‘Wifi’ work and called them and they sent me the unit, to my surprise, the latter came Brand New in a sealed box. I hooked it up (used wifi, then hardwired) and wasn’t impress because of buffering issues. I compared the two and concluded that the HUB worked flawlessly w/o any lag and buffering isses. Since then it has worked well to this day.

Yes, for some unknown reasons, WD is not updating the LIVE PLUS and that’s the bad part and still remains a mystery to this day, but in all they are a good company and are willing to work with you if you give them a call and relate your complaints to them nicely. My bet is you’ll never gonna hear of another ‘update’ for this deadbeat model again. Move on.

Bill_S

Is there any news about any updates in february or maybe release date moved to another month? 

I know they’re still planning a release.  Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later. 

1 Like

Hi, i am trable with my wd internal 3TB hdd in GPT mode, because my wd tv live can not recognize it?

My question is that the WD planning to release a new firmware, which can handle the larger than 2TB hdd in GPT (guid partition mode)

netgen wrote:

Hi, i am trable with my wd internal 3TB hdd in GPT mode, because my wd tv live can not recognize it?

My question is that the WD planning to release a new firmware, which can handle the larger than 2TB hdd in GPT (guid partition mode)

That was fixed in version 1.05.04, and still works in the later versions.

http://support.wdc.com/download/notes/WDTV_Live_Release_Notes_1.06.15_V.pdf

Sorry for my incomprehension, but i just read the following in 1.06.15_v resolved issue:

“resolved issue with 2TB hard drive not mounting”

but is it not meaning that the WD media player can recognize the GPT HDD(entire 3TB in a partition), the Wd can recognize just MBR (master boot record)+ntfs. But my hdd In GPT+ntfs. So wd can not use it.

You said that if i make a huge 3TB partition in GPT, can WD live recognize it?

If it says we fixed the issue of not reading larger than 2 TB drives, then it has to be able to read GPT.   So, yes, the media player will recognize a GPT drive.

[edit]

By the way, what OS did you format the drive on?

win 7 64bit

Wait a minute, in one of your previous posts, you’re saying that the WD TV can’t recognize a 3TB “internal” drive.  How is the drive connected to the WD TV?  Also, what WD TV device are you using?  What’s it’s model number?  And what format is the drive in?  NTFS, etc.?