Request Official WD Response

Bill_S wrote:

As I understand it, there will be at least one more firmware update for the Live and Live Plus.  After that, I don’t know.   However, if it we stop supporting either one of those, I will surely let you know. 

This may be a dumb question/comment, but WD did continue to release FW updates for the Live even after the Plus came out.  Why would the latest Live product release result in anything different?

Guys, if they have not managed to fix our WDTV’s by now expect nothing more from them.

This was the last WD product i will buy, they can make how many media players they want i will not buy a single one.

My eyes are on something else called AC Ryan something… one of their models… and if you check the forums there are not so many dissapointed users like here.

Thanks and for your effort WD … :\

1 Like

It is sad to see Western treats its customers like that. I can totally understand not developping new features for a legacy product, I really have no problem with that. But not fixing the bugs really disapoints me. I was expecting more from a company like Western. I feel cheated by paying for a product that doesn’t live to its promises.

1 Like

ToddeSwe wrote:

Guys, if they have not managed to fix our WDTV’s by now expect nothing more from them.

This was the last WD product i will buy, they can make how many media players they want i will not buy a single one.

My eyes are on something else called AC Ryan something… one of their models… and if you check the forums there are not so many dissapointed users like here.

If you look at ac ryan website. it doesn’t offer half the features that the wd does. Granted it does have features the wd lacks. Also about 2x time the price. So not really in the same market segment. You are really comparing apples to oranges. It’s also not fair to WD to assume that your individual problem can be applied to every player. We truly don’t know how many of these players WD has sold. There are probably a few hundred posters on the forum, vs a few thousand if not more who have bought these devices. WD has been a pretty decent provider of support for a device that is over 2+ years old. Not many electronics manufacture even support your product for a year much less 2.  They have fixed many of the bugs, but each firmware produces more potential for bugs, it’s a constantly moving target.
I know they don’t have a perfect player out there, however I have yet to see one. (i’m looking at you roku, boxee, apple tv).

I wish the best of luck with your new media player!! I know my wife would greatly miss hulu+ and netflix if we moved players. Beside i’d have to teach her a brand new UI.

Nathan7545 wrote:

ToddeSwe wrote:

If you look at ac ryan website. it doesn’t offer half the features that the wd does. Granted it does have features the wd lacks. Also about 2x time the price. So not really in the same market segment. You are really comparing apples to oranges. It’s also not fair to WD to assume that your individual problem can be applied to every player. We truly don’t know how many of these players WD has sold. There are probably a few hundred posters on the forum, vs a few thousand if not more who have bought these devices. WD has been a pretty decent provider of support for a device that is over 2+ years old. Not many electronics manufacture even support your product for a year much less 2.  They have fixed many of the bugs, but each firmware produces more potential for bugs, it’s a constantly moving target.
I know they don’t have a perfect player out there, however I have yet to see one. (i’m looking at you roku, boxee, apple tv).

I wish the best of luck with your new media player!! I know my wife would greatly miss hulu+ and netflix if we moved players. Beside i’d have to teach her a brand new UI.

I only wish that they could fix bugs before adding new features. And AC Ryan HD model was on sale here in Sweden at the same price i bought my WD Live for. :slight_smile: So for me it’s in the same segment for me. :slight_smile: I’ll keep my fingers crossed for the next firmware as allways :slight_smile: Before i stop using my WD.

tjkaz wrote:

Bill_S wrote:

As I understand it, there will be at least one more firmware update for the Live and Live Plus.  After that, I don’t know.   However, if it we stop supporting either one of those, I will surely let you know. 

This may be a dumb question/comment, but WD did continue to release FW updates for the Live even after the Plus came out.  Why would the latest Live product release result in anything different?

I don’t know that it will, but if it does, I’ll let you know.

1 Like

My guess is revisions for the old Live and Live Plus will taper off (maybe one more if we are lucky) since it seems clear WD’s strategy is to have the same code base for both the New Live and the Hub.

So, it’s the end of the line for ours Live.  Now we have two options - buy the new Live or the new Asus.

If they think they can get away and not care, we can always pull a ‘Netflix’ on them, because losing a million customers won’t be cool!

Pfffft… the WDTV Live “upgrades” were a HUGE joke towards the end. WD’s strategy is to make money selling huge volumes of  cheaply manufactured, sub-$100 disposable players. You get what you pay for folks! Best way to make your point to WD is to just stop buying their crappy players.

2 Likes

guys i had the new model of wdtv live steamer, and like other WD products, crappy firmware, right now for example thumbnails and backgrounds are being corrupted, the unit overheats and wireless remains poor.

Ive plugged back in my WDTV Live unit with WDLXTV , honestly im getting refund on the new unit and i will never buy another WD product.

The firmware support is shocking.

2 Likes

Nothing but clowns working at WD, seriously, quality control ain’t really that hard…unless the company hires nothing but dumb people, which I think is the case otherwise each new firmware couldn’t be worst than the previous one.

I just want to know where will be available the next firmware update.

Thanks a lot.

Cusco wrote:

Thanks a lot.

Western Digital, like most other companies, does not release any information about when (or if) there will be a firmware upgrade.

Consider that there’s been 2 firmware updates with the hub, and the new wd live.

we can consider the live/live+ a dead platform. I expect no more firmware updates. it’s sad wd choose to not provide bug fixes, but it is what it is.

Scandy wrote:

Cusco wrote:

Thanks a lot.

Western Digital, like most other companies, does not release any information about when (or if) there will be a firmware upgrade.

The reason for WD to not publish any information about their release schedules, is not that WD doesn’t want to  . The reason is that they just don’t know when they’re ready  with the next release, because they don’t have the required skills and capability. Like most HW companies. If they knew, they would of course serve the customers and users better and provided this information.

Most modern SW companies are able to do continuous deployment (e.g. twitter, facebook, spotify and google in some products) and release new increments many times per day. This is what most HW  companies are really trying to learn, but it is really hard to transform and takes a lot of time. Unfortunately. This is also the reason why many SW companies are now beating HW companies (e.g. in the mobile phone industry).

^^If they recently can released two NEW Firmwares for the 1TB HUB (on Nov, 18, 2011) and for the Live Streaming (WiFi) then there shouldn’t be a problem releasing an update for our LIVE PLUS, maybe they will or maybe they won’t. The question is would the new firmware (if there is one coming) addresses the issues or will there be newer problems?

I feel so violated and cheated. I’ve been using my wdtvlive+ for over a year now, solid, like every single day. I knew exactly what I was purchasing and what it’s capabilities were, but the online updates to firmware is what sold me. I assumed naively that they were going to really push updates hard and fast to try and keep up with other devices. **bleep** just 6 months after buying the **bleep** thing I saw blu-ray players with more features built into them. I can’t believe how I let myself get duped so badly, I figured the whole purpose of a standalone device was to be able to update it continuously and for many years to come, until they finally squeezed every last cpu cycle out of the **bleep** thing… I expected soooo much more out of this device, i’m not saying it’s bad, I’ve enjoyed using it. I just didn’t expect it to fade into mediocrity like it has. I suppose I’ll go buy one of them new tv’s with probably more features than this **bleep** thing ever had.

Hang in there eylusion…Bill_S (the forum community manager) has said a couple of times in this thread that he thinks there will be at least one more firmware release. Hopefully, WD will fix some of the major issues before abandoning firmware support.

Well I’m not really mad about the quality of the product, I mean yes it was alittle touch and go with the netflix (app?) for awhile  and the youtube searches could at least for the love of god filter out the non-watchable due to being a media device. But I understand that’s not really WD’s fault (being as those like SDK’s or whatever are provided by their respective companies and in a lot of situations WD’s hands are tied, and with things like paying royalty’s on codecs and the like, in some situations yes WD had kinda bent over backwards for us. I use the device every day, love the pandora, and it’s nice to watch some youtube vids on my big tv than on alittle laptop or whatever. I FREAKING dig the optical out, I’ll never go back to anything else but optical, whoever invented optical audio should seriously get a pat on the back.

I’m just soooo hurt, cuz like I did some research back probably say halloween of 2010, I saw what the Roku was doing, I saw the google tv, the apple tv had been on the market for a short time i think but they were still working out a few bugs here and there. But I was like, okay so it doesn’t have amazon video on demand (which i like when it’s got something netflix doesn’t)  but I thought to myself, with these firmware updates **bleep** it’ll probably be a couple weeks and walah i’ll wake up one day update my device, and there will be the vudu, and the amazon and the hulu [Deleted] and all the other things everyone else has. Here I am over a year later and I’ve seen firmware updates that fix language support, add keyboard support, fix subtitle thingy majigs… but I mean come on, where are the features!

I love my little WD plus box, use the **bleep** out of it, i’d recomment it to anyone who wants a great device, codec and hd support and the like.

But adding a games section with those retarded games? [Deleted], I’d like to think WD thinks alittle higher of their customer base than trying to placate us with ■■■■ like that. It’s kinda like saying, sorry we aren’t gonna add a really cool feature like watching amazon videos, so here play these [Deleted] games and watch 30 second webcasts by people that absolutely no one gives a flaming ■■■■ about.

I might as well just hook windows media center up to my tv and watch old reruns of star trek enterprise…

It just blows my mind they didn’t bring forth more with their updates…