Pre-release 1.03.22 and WDElements 1.5TB

Well, I was just wondering if the pre-release firmware 1.03.22 takes care of fixing the connectivity problem I’m having with my new WDElements 1.5TB external desktop drive. I currently have firmware 1.02.21 and my drive is not seen from the WD TV Live. I plug it in and it’s not there. Does this pre-release fix this?

Any takers?

No, it hasn’t been addressed in this pre-release.  I did some checking on this for you, though, and the prevailing recommendation is to reformat the drive.  If that doesn’t work, then there is no fix for it.

Unfortunally it hasn’t been fixed in the new firmware v1.03.22 (beta).

This hard disc is not recognized from v1.02.21.

The only thing you can do is:

• Downgrade to v1.01.24 and WDTV Live will recognize it.

Thanks for the reply, Bill. How should I reformat the drive (NTFS, FAT32, or FAT)? Downgrading to 1.0.24 might solve my problem in the short term, but in the long run I would still like to be able to attach my WDElements to a DVD menu compatible firmware (such as this pre-release). I don’t think I’ll do it now though. I’m weary when it comes to flashing hardware with beta software. I’ll wait. In the meantime, I have a drive that WD built that I can’t use with WD’s own WD TV Live box because of a broken firmware. I just can’t understand…if it was working before, why can’t WD get it to work again? Where’s QA in this?

Am I missing something?

Are WD recommending a WD external hard drive to use with WDTV live in full knowledge that it actually doesn’t work with the latest release, and no efforts have been made to fix this compatibility issue between two WD products that were clearly intended to used together?

Surely I can’t have this right.

I am looking to buy a 1tb or 1.5tb external drive, very nearly ordered the WD elements last week.

I have just fixed the problem in my WD Elements 1.5TB

I think there must be a incompatibility in the partition table on the hard disk (disk is NTFS pre-formatted when you buy it).

I used a partition manager software, like EASEUS Partition Master (it’s free) and I created a new partition and now it works. WDTV Live reads it perfectly because the partition table was updated (fixed).

But I didn’t want 2 partitions so I merged both in one (using the same software).

Now I have 1 partition in my WD Elements 1.5TB working on WDTV Live v1.03.22 beta.

By the way, DVD menus… I love them.

I’ll try the software out sometime this weekend and report back here with the results.

Hello;

I have the same problem with my WD 1 tb external USB Hd.

I am a user of Wd TV live HD for a month.

After upgrading 1.02.21 firmware. My media player doesn’t work with 1 tb WD USB harddisk.

I have tried the new beta upgrade 1.03.22 , but nothing is changed.

My player is working with my 16 Gb flashdisk.

What should i do?

Should i try to install the older firmware? Where can i find it? It is not in the upgrade session.

And i think it wont be a good solution. because i started to use new ınternet features with the new upgrade.

I am looking for your good sloutions. Please help…

i have downgraded my firmware to 1.01.24.

it is working now with my WD 1 Tb.

but i think it is not a good solution for me .

i want the new upgrade and my 1 tb Wd to play together.

Thanks…

I have the WD Elements 1.5TB drive and the WD TV Live.  These have both worked fine together out of the box.  The drive is recognised with all three firmware updates I’ve tried, even the newest pre-release.  I did not need to format the drive (and have not still) before using it. 

This means that either:

a) There are different hardware revisions and certain combinations are having trouble, or

b) There is an issue with certain formating, or

c) bad sectors/corrupt MFT.

If I were you, I’d start with a full drive scan to see if there are any physically damaged sectors.  If not, delete all partitions, rebuild, and full format (if not low-level) the drive.  Make sure the partitions are visible in Windows by right-clicking “My Computer/Computer” and clicking “manage” ->“Storage”->“Disk Management”.  If everything is fine there, you know the drive is working correctly, and at that point I’d start checking hardware revision numbers.

Okay, so I had some time this morning to finally try this out.  I plugged the WDElements 1.5TB drive into my computer (Windows XP SP3), used EASEUS Partition Master 5.8.1 Home Edition (free app) to delete the logical partition that was there, created a new primary partition to ensure I didn’t have any unallocated space on the drive, copied over my favorite sitcom onto the drive, safely removed the drive, plugged it into the WD TV Live (firmware 1.02.21) and…it worked.  The Live picked up the drive right away, I was able to browse through my episodes and I was able to watch a bit of the video without a problem.

So, apparently, the way the WDElements is formatted out of the factory is not compatible with the current firmware on the WD TV Live.  I was only able to have the Live recognize the drive only after I partitioned it myself with a third-party app.

I don’t know, I would have thought that all I had to do was plug the drive in the Live and it would have been recognized right away, but this isn’t the case.  Again, I can only wonder how WD performs its Quality Assurance.  Anyway, I solved my problem, albeit with non-WD software, but it’s solved now and that’s what was important to me.

Jackster wrote:

Okay, so I had some time this morning to finally try this out.  I plugged the WDElements 1.5TB drive into my computer (Windows XP SP3), used EASEUS Partition Master 5.8.1 Home Edition (free app) to delete the logical partition that was there, created a new primary partition to ensure I didn’t have any unallocated space on the drive, copied over my favorite sitcom onto the drive, safely removed the drive, plugged it into the WD TV Live (firmware 1.02.21) and…it worked.  The Live picked up the drive right away, I was able to browse through my episodes and I was able to watch a bit of the video without a problem.

So, apparently, the way the WDElements is formatted out of the factory is not compatible with the current firmware on the WD TV Live.  I was only able to have the Live recognize the drive only after I partitioned it myself with a third-party app.

I don’t know, I would have thought that all I had to do was plug the drive in the Live and it would have been recognized right away, but this isn’t the case.  Again, I can only wonder how WD performs its Quality Assurance.  Anyway, I solved my problem, albeit with non-WD software, but it’s solved now and that’s what was important to me.

Did you try just re-formatting the drive? The whole point I believe in using the partition manger approach in the solved post was that you would not lose your data by deleting partitions or re-formatting. By deleting the partition you lost your data.

If you want to do all this you don’t need 3rd party stuff, its all there in windows and WD tell you how to do it on their knowledge base site.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3865&p_created=1258601352&p_sid=FOi6ZV2k&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTQzLDE0MyZwX3Byb2RzPTIyOCwyMTksMjg5JnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcHY9My4yODkmcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9mbmwmcF9wYWdlPTE!&p_li=&p_topview=1

Hello

I’m new user from Spain.

I´ve just buy a WD Elements 2TB  and I have the same problem with the last oficial firmware.

I have downgraded my firmware to 1.01.24 and my WD 2 Tb runs perfectly.

The WD service customer  indicate me to reformat HD to FAT or NTFS, but the WD HD has many files and it`´s a problem to refomat it. I think it will be necesary the next firmware resolve this problem.

Thanks

What with this latest firmware I have a problem that I had not noticed.

It turns out that I connected the HDD 2.5 "to western digital and does not read. Hdd Led the lights, but the western digital does not recognize it live as if there was nothing connected.
In contrast with 1GB pen d I work with the firmware if that recognizes it.

Somebody wants to last?

The HDD is a WD passport

I have been doing checks, and I saw that, having the 1gb usb connected, if I detect the HDD WD Passport, and I read everything in it. Unplug the pen, and stop to read my HDD.

That is, with the pen online: I read the HDD, without the attached pen, do not read.

Any reason?

Only happens to me with the latest firmware, it may be some bug?

You all do realize that 1.03.22 is not the latest firmware, right?

I tried the latest firmware, 1.03.38 and don’t detects USB my passport.

I repeat, we, Western digital customers, because we do not have to format anything as it has been a failure of them, and therefore must solve.

1.01.24  If the firmware if it detects the HDD, and with the new firmare not detected is that they have changed something, put it back as it was before and will return to detect the USB.

But I as a customer because I have no fix one thing they have sold and have been damaged. Not is my fault, I don’t have to be turning to find a solution because it does not work for them

BTW, I also fixed this problem with a simple reformatting of my drive.

Hello Jackster.

When you reformated your drive using EASEUS Partition , did you have any files  in the drive?

It is necesary to copy the files in other hard disk before reformating the drive?

My drive has many files and  i dont want to lose it

Thanks

I don’t mean to answer for Jakster, but yes you will lose the data you have on the drive.  However, you should never have your data in just one location, anyway, whether on your computer or on an external drive. So, now may be a good time to get the data backed up in another location, and then keep it backed up there after you format your drive.