No Media Files in Folder After Firmware update

The names are different in WD its called WorkGroup and at my machine BELLsomething

From my PC I can see WD box and I am able to view it web  page where we can set the WDbox name

I dont have a 2nd computer now to test  if it is accessible from there. But it was accessible from WD box before the firmware upgrade. 

The names need to be the same – that’s the problem, I bet.

You either need to edit the workgroup name on the WD, or change the one on your computer (my preference is to use WORKGROUP as the name, as some media servers insist on ths.  But it’s not a requirement of the Live).  When you did a reset the default name on the Live (WORKGROUP) was placed there and that’s why it stopped working.

Nope 

I have renamed the WD network and restarted it.

it makes no difference same problem.

It will be case sensitive – but I’m sure you’ve checked that already, correct?  (It’s actually better to name the PC “WORKGROUP”).  And when you say “restarted it” do you mean you cleared any auto login to net shares (which you need to do as well)?

You really need to put another computer on that net to see if it can see the shares, as I suspect it won’t be able to.  Perhaps you can borrow someone’s laptop.

This release ■■■■■!

Could not access network shares that worked fine before the upgrade. Changed workgroup name etc. Master reset etc.

THEN… downgraded, and STILL could not access my shares that worked fine before!!

So i upgraded again and downgraded again, master reset, faffed around with loads of settings, and it started working again.

I’ll give this release a miss thanks.

Well, I’m not convinced it’s the firmware.  I upgraded as well and have no problems.

But…  any upgrade should preserve the former settings.  As you point out, even downgrading didn’t help, until you fooled around a lot (and, I strongly suspect, you could have done all those things WITH the upgrade and gotten the shares to work as well).  The real issue here is not so much this particular firmware upgrade, but the general upgrade process in particular.

The Live shouldn’t require a reset or, if it does, it should at least be able to reload settings that were working previously.  If this isn’t already entered as a suggestion in the Idea lab I will make sure that it is.  Believe me, I share your frustration at these issues, even if I don’t have them myself (I just want everyone to be as happy with it as I am)…

Hey 

I have figured it out 

basically the upgrade was not keeping my previous settings to access my Windows 7.

Before the upgrade it had a username and password but after upgrade it did reset it all to default.

And the error message “no media files in folder” is toataly wrong and confusing

So there basically 2 bugs

1)It Does not save the settings from before upgrade

2)Wrong error message when it cant overcome the login

All I did i disabled all the pwd requirements on my server to prevent this issue in the future

Thank you very much for you help , you kind of motivated me to investigate more  

Regards,Ilya

Glad you got it working, Ilya.

Yes, the Live should be able to preserve settings after a firmware upgrade.  You should go to the Ideas section and, after searching to be sure it isn’t already suggested, make that suggestion.

OK, I’ve been following this thread and basically I have a very similar issue but the tips here won’t work.

I have a ReadyNAS DUO.  It works as both a DNLA or UnPNP media share, as well as your average run of the mill network share.

After performing the most recent firmware upgrade, I could no longer access either my protected shares (username/password required) NOR my “media share” (the “media” folder on my NAS…anyone can get to that).  The reason being is that the firmware upgrade whacked the username/password from the saved settings.  I don’t recall it doing that in the past during upgrades, but it did this time.  So I re-enter the username/password, which isn’t normally needed for the plain DNLA/UnPNP media share access from the NAS, but it is required to access my protected shares.

I can now get to the “Media” folder just fine.  Prior to doing that, even without a username/pass, I would get the “Folder contains no media files” error message.  So that part is working now.

But I _STILL_ can’t get to my protected shares.  I can reach them from several other computers, as well as from my Seagate Theater Plus I’ve got set up on another television set.  I could always access them from the WDTV Live prior to this firmware upgrade.

I’ve reset to factory defaults, I’ve retyped the password settings on the WDTV-L twice now, I even reset the password on my NAS to something different and tried again on the WDTV-Live.  It can no longer access my protected shares AT ALL. 

Any ideas?

Um, downgrade to the previous version?

I had this same problem using a WD MybookWorld II NAS Drive and i had to enable Everyone Read only Permission on my share, even after rechecking users, passwords and network name.

Had no problem with Windows 7 x64 shares.

I’ll downgrade.  There’s no way I’m turning private shares into public shares, even at read-only.

Better yet, maybe its time I just ditch this device in favor of a second Seagate.  When the reviews first came out, everyone felt the WDTV-Live was the better product.  I’ve not had a single issue with the Seagate yet after 3 firmware upgrades AND it plays my ISO’s with menu’s and all.

So why in heck didn’t you buy another Seagate in the first place?

I’d definiltely abandon the Live if I were you – it’s not for everyone (and pretty obviously not for you).

I bought the WDTV-L because at the time the reviews were positive on it.  When I first bought it, the reviews were warranted…it worked pretty well. 

And you are right, its not for everyone.  Apparently, its only for those who don’t give a ■■■■ about owning a quality product and have inferior tastes.  I think you pretty much fit that bill.

ReallyBigFeet wrote:

I bought the WDTV-L because at the time the reviews were positive on it.  When I first bought it, the reviews were warranted…it worked pretty well. 

And you are right, its not for everyone.  Apparently, its only for those who don’t give a ■■■■ about owning a quality product and have inferior tastes.  I think you pretty much fit that bill.

Good to see everybody getting on so well.

Rich,

Are you saying he doesn’t like me? 

(Ah, we’re much better off without him).

Yeah, ignorance is truly bliss.

It amazes me how some consumers settle.

Aren’t you gone yet?

Up graded mine last night after watching a movie off a network share and lost all access to the shares and media servers. I truly hope this helps. Although I thought I had reset the username and password while working with it after the upgrade. Ill give it a shot when I get home.

On another note,

My experience in IT is that competing products take turns being on top. So go buy what ever you feel is the best today and tomorrow something else will be better and you will feel duped. Its the way it works in a competative market, the other option is no competition, in which case you get a product that will take 20+ times as long to fix problems and add new features.