New Release - WDTV Live Plus Firmware Version 1.06.34_B (9/24/12)

When I went to reload the previous firmware off a USB flashdrive the WDTV Live unit booted, gave me a message about not being able to autoload, then went to the normal main menu at “video”.  When I removed the flash drive and rebooted, the hanging problem returns.  So, it looks like it is the “autoplay” issue, which is easy enough to fix now I can get to all the controls simply by having a flash drive (empty or with just the firmware files) inserted.  Once the o/s is properly up, everything works fine. So it looks like I won’t have to downgrade the firmware after all.

I kept pressing the reset button continuous & multiple times, finally it went in reset mode and when it came back up, everything was back to normal i.e. no more spinning wheel of fortune :0)

Thanks,

Zee.

Thanks! Did a rollback via http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800 .

I’m now back to my old firmware and everything works like a charm again! Yay!

1 Like

after updating to 1.06.34 …I lost my network share capabilies also in network settings it does not display the ssid or the signal strength.

I did a rollback  via 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800

thanks to deltablast,silphium and this forum community

the rollback worked so far so good, the ssid and signal strength has not returned in network settings?

but are visable in system info

1 Like

How do I disable autoplay while I have the ever spinning indicator?

sdavmor wrote:

I d/l the firmware update a few hours ago.  It installed, and the unit rebooted, Unit then went into noddy-land.  Sitting at the rotating blue image that comes up after the o/s “loading” message.  It hits the main menu and display the “video” option for a split-second that reverts back to the rotating blue image.  If I press the “home” or "“back” keys on the remote it repeats the short attempt to display the “video” option on the main menu, then continues with the rotating blue image.  Powering off and then on makes no difference, the process repeats as it did after the unit auto-rebooted.  I have two other WDTV live units but I am not going to upgrade them at this time.  Now I have to see about rolling this unit back to the previous firmware release. *** very disappointed ***

I had the same problem.

I found that if your machine has AutoPlay ON, this happens right after upgrade.  You need to reset via the hole which clears it (if you intend to keep this version of the firmware.

Rick

kilimar wrote:

DO NOT UPGRADE

DITTO – after the reboot:

1) Displays the logo

2) Flashes something with “Loading”

1. Displays spinning wheel

and goes no further.  . . .  (so on)

The Auto Play - you have to make sure it is OFF before upgrade.  I downgraded, factory reset, and redid the upgrade and it works (kind of)   Even after upgrade, once you turn on Auto Play, the Blue Circle of Eternity returns.

I am rolling back…

Apart from the AutoPlay issue already discussed…  (option of death - you get the spinning Blue Circle of Eternity)

The Option-Subtitle menu seem to be fixed.  Now when I press Option-Subtitle, the language ID (1. English…) now appears just below the Option Choice (instead of occasionally on the far left and occasionally gone off screen.)    But along with the AutoPlay issue, there is another significant bug…

As I play different ISO-DVD, it got slower and slower to start.  My first started within seconds, then the wait grew to 30 seconds (with nothing but a blank screen), then it got to multiple MINUTES before the DVD starts.  (This was not from fresh boot, I played NetFlix in-between testing various DVD’s).

Overall, if the two deadly bugs are fixed (autoplay, growing delays), this firmware is not bad - I like it over the 1.04.31B which I have been sticking with.  BUT, without the two deadly bugs fixed, this firmware is not useable.

Updated to latest firmware and it has killed my system. Just downloaded 1.06.34_B and now my media player freezes on netflix, freezes on youtube, and revolts when I try to play .VOBs. it plays .AVIs and music files. I’ve tried resetting to factory defaults and it doesn’t roll back the firmware. I’d like to know how to fix this. It seems to be a common problem. Please address this quickly.

II wish I could compliment you on the upgrade, however, it doesent work.

I finally got the upgrade installed and nothing works well. I tried to reinstall the older software and it will not let it happen.

Just my observationsb but several companies are upgrading their software to allow 4G etc…, it  appears t me that your losing site of us who are using a slower connection (1.2) U=tube will come up but doesnt work. Evrything is very slow and takes forever and  is just slow. A picture takes about 5 to 10 seconds to display.

Help

Never ending spinning circle. Total failure!  Will try the reset option though as posted in previous threads.

Ok, after 12 hours of spinning blue circle and the prior posts, I hit the reset button a few times and it rebooted fine with the new firmware in place.

Really really poor quality assurance testing there Western Digital, really really ordinary.

MAL MAL MAL !!! NO LO ACTUALICEN, Los videos en MKV tarda como 1 minuto en cargarse, los DVD’s otro tanto, no entiendo todavia como pudieron hacer una actualizacion tan mala, intentare poner la vieja version

-*-*-*-*-* NO ACTUALICEN EL FIRMWARE*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* 

BAD BAD BAD FIRMWARE

Well I am guessing only those with problems are posting.  I almost didn’t do the upgrade based on the posts, but the lure of VEVO was too great!:heart:

Long story short, mine works great after the update.  Tested Hulu, Netflix, local and network connections work fine.  Tried mp4, mkv and a few avi files (I dont have VOBs) all work fine.  My only complaint would be no Amazon On Demand wasn’t included!  :smiley:

After reading about some people having problems here, I decided to take the plunge anyway and give the new firmware a try. No spinning circle **bleep**, and the update itself seems to have installed okay.

A couple initial gripes about the new firmware:

1. Network shares are broken. I had them briefly at one point, but they went away (never to return again).

2. The new YouTube ui (LeanBack) is slow & laggy to the point of being basically unuseable.

Hopefully WD will address these issues (and others) in a timely fashion.

johnnyzero wrote:

After reading about some people having problems here, I decided to take the plunge anyway and give the new firmware a try. No spinning circle **bleep**, and the update itself seems to have installed okay.

A couple initial gripes about the new firmware:

1. Network shares are broken. I had them briefly at one point, but they went away (never to return again).

1. The new YouTube ui (LeanBack) is slow & laggy to the point of being basically unuseable.

Hopefully WD will address these issues (and others) in a timely fashion.

Why do people keep on assuming WD will fix anything? And how can ‘network shares broken’ be an ‘ok install’? WD has stepped into this forum once since launch, and it was to note that an Android app that they claimed was released, wasn’t. It’s finished, there will be no more updates, WD is a joke and I can only ask for everyone to ensure that this debacle is noted on various review sites / shopping sites, to prevent as many people as possible from purchasing WD hardware.

BargainHunter wrote:

Well I am guessing only those with problems are posting.  I almost didn’t do the upgrade based on the posts, but the lure of VEVO was too great!:heart:

Long story short, mine works great after the update.  Tested Hulu, Netflix, local and network connections work fine.  Tried mp4, mkv and a few avi files (I dont have VOBs) all work fine.  My only complaint would be no Amazon On Demand wasn’t included!  :smiley:

Do you stream your mkv files from a network share or locally connected hard drive?  It makes a big difference.  What are the file sizes.  What model are you using - Live or Live+?

I’m in New York with a WDABX0000NBK-00 using Live Plus. Played a  4.7GB MKV connected locally.  I had problems streaming MKVs way before the update so I haven’t done that in a while.  Will try it later. 

Youtube Leanback is a bit slow but it was also laggy before the update.  I didn’t expect Deezer to be gone, I listened to the top 10 charts every now and again.

apnea,

Obviously, the inability to access network shares is a very serious bug. When I said that “the install itself went okay”, I was merely referring to the fact that I didn’t  experience the Spinning Circle of Death that others have reported.

I’m as cynical as the next guy, but I have to respectfully disagree with you about the prospects of WD addressing the issues with this firmware. Given the seriousness of the bugs, I suspect that they’ll probably issue a maintanance update. I’ll bet you a dollar they do… :wink:

Same problem here with MKV and pretty much any video files (via SMB network share). Did a rollback to the previous version and everything works as expected again. Hopefully WD will fix this issue soon and bring out a new fixed firmware with the WDTV remote app capabilities, using the iphone app as a remote is really great.