New Release - Firmware Version 1.06.16_B for WD TV Live Plus (8/2/11)

we were told more than likely in Feb… now its almost April and poor Bill is running out of stall tactics.

This lack of  service seems to be the norm for WD now, I do not see how they expect to retain customers with such a disregard for them.The Live and the Live Plus never  worked as advertised and IMO WD did a poor job of supporting and troubling shooting both.If you read though these forums the same situation applies to the first two generations of WDTV and many of their other products as well.

It is not enough to get the consumer to buy the product, the goal should be to keep them for life.This concept seems to be lost on WD.

At this point WDTV is a low end alternative in the media player market and as a someone in the industry I steer people away for WD products whenever possible because of their poor level of support on all products.

videoveteran wrote:

now its almost April and poor Bill is running out of stall tactics.

Or not since he’s got no influence whatsoever on when/if the firmware will be released.

Folks, don’t throw Bill_S under the bus.

People here beg (nay, demand) information, and crucity the mods for not supplying it.

Or

Mods supply what limitted information or news they have, in order to provide some transparency, and then get vilified when it’s not accurate.

That puts the mods into a no-win situation.   There’s no wondering, then, why they would then prefer to remain silent.

This is really a yes or no question. The leading on is what is creating the fury of frenzy.  No dates needed, just will there be another firmware - yes -or- no?

Yes.

[edit]

Thanks Tony and Techflaws.  But I’ve become impervious to bus tires…

Iceman wrote:

This is really a yes or no question. The leading on is what is creating the fury of frenzy.  No dates needed, just will there be another firmware - yes -or- no?

And it’s been “yessed” at least a half dozen times.

Techflaws wrote:

Or not since he’s got no influence whatsoever on when/if the firmware will be released.

• *> Oh stop it.  First I didnt throw him under the bus.  I just said he was running out of stall tactics.  Im sure its just as frustrating for him.  I in no way implied this was his fault.  Bill is more the lamb WD lead to the slaughter.

That being said, Bill shouldnt have dropped the month of rls (or even potential)  if it wasnt close to being accurate. He set himself up for backlash from customers.

As a paying customer myself, who hasnt gotten anything close to what they should, this is poor management on WD as a whole.  While Bill may have no control, those that do have dropped the ball BIG TIME.  There is no excuse for the insane buggy FW weve last been left with and there certainly isnt any excuse for a fix and/or update to have gone this long.

I will be doing my research before buying a new unit.  I have had faith in WD long enough.  The fact they cant even answer questions properly (again WD in general), have one of the worst customer service experiences ive ever dealt with, and just flat out doesnt seem to care about keeping their paying customers happy.

Actually, there have been no balls dropped.  There are legitimate reasons why it’s taking this long.  And, no, don’t pm me for the details, cause I can’t say.   And, no, I wasn’t stalling.  The fact is, the release kept getting moved back.  That’s not my fault.  I can only give you what I can give you.  This is why we don’t like saying anything.   But we don’t like leaving you in the dark either, so we try to give you something.  All I can say is that we’re sorry, it’s taking this long.  But you can always look on the bright side, we’re still supporting a device that normally may have been eol’d by now.

1 Like

I don’t recall any month given by Bill, only people nagging him to do so despite this being totally out of his control.

As a paying customer myself, who hasnt gotten anything close to what they should,

Is that so? What are those numerous advertized features that are not present in the device?

“having” the advertised feature present, and the feature actually working properly are two different things.  Read this forum if you want to know the issues.

I am one that feels truly let down by WD and it’s lack of decent firmware support.  I’m still running V1.04 something because it’ll at least stream video off my Synology NAS properly.  Knowing my TV Live Plus is now abandoned I haven’t even bothered to mess with album art, and anything else to make it look “pretty” on the screen.  I hate every time I start the thing up I’m presented with “New Firmware Available” - no way I’m going to install anything newer than what I have, since (after reading this forum) I know it’ll [edited] something up that works. Is there a way to banish that message btw?

WD got too enamored with adding **bleep** like letting the two users in the world that might want their MEDIA STREAMER to be able to tweet or facebook  or play stupid games using a 10 button remote instead of actually improving the MEDIA STREAMING performance.

I’m doing my research now…if the Apple TV streamed from a NAS without jailbreaking, I’d already have one.  Unfortunately, reading reveiws of most of the other big name streamers, they all seem to have issues.  

@Techflaws

Again you are wrong.  It was mentioned several times.  Read this topic a little closer and see the responses i reference.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Firmware/Request-Official-WD-Response/td-p/270556

12-20-2011 01:48 PM “Beginning of the year.”

01-31-2012 10:01 AM “No, it will probably be more like February sometime.”

However, in reading a few of your responses I see you do more attacking lately than actually helping.  If you have no helpful info to provide to my questions, then please keep your childish antics and pokes to yourself.

@ Bill_S

While you have been patient with a lot of us.  I find it in bad taste to tell the customer they are wrong when they claim WD dropped the ball.  This is just icing on the “poor customer service” cake.  If I the paying customer feel the ball has been dropped by WD, I hate to tell you, but it should count for more than just a [edited] comment/dismissal as youve just done.

videoveteran wrote:

@Techflaws

However, in reading a few of your responses I see you do more attacking lately than actually helping.  If you have no helpful info to provide to my questions, then please keep your childish antics and pokes to yourself.

As regards to ‘helping’, you have made 5 posts and have not been  ‘helpful’ in any of them. This is a user to user forum and sometimes we get a little bit fed up with the ‘moaners’ who add nothing.

I want to first apologize to the readers of this topic that dont feel the need to call out others pointlessly.  This will be my last response to those of you that have.

This is a WD forum.  This is where WD posts FW updates.  This is not a “user” based FW.  I mentioned a “user” FW that needs the 3TB kernal and that does offer help and that was ignored (understandably).  As a WD run forum and WD run FW, this is not only “user to user”.  If you have another forum WD runs for customers to voice issues and complaints, im more than happy to take my comments elsewhere.

I aksed very specific questions to Bill related to confusing answers given by WD appointed admins.  At which point another user felt the need to add unhelpful commentary, ironically just like youve done. 

If you dont like the “moaning” igonre the post.  Just because your sick of the moaning doesnt mean there isnt valid reason for it.  Nor does it mean you need to police those that do.  Moaning about moaners is counterproductive and humorously ironic.  Im not a pro at the WDLive and so I have little to offer.  I am however, very skilled at customer service and how to handle frustrated members.  I do not feel like ive asked for a lot either.

@ Bill_S

While you have been patient with a lot of us.  I find it in bad taste to tell the customer they are wrong when they claim WD dropped the ball.  This is just icing on the “poor customer service” cake.  If I the paying customer feel the ball has been dropped by WD, I hate to tell you, but it should count for more than just a [edited] comment/dismissal as youve just done.

When someone says that you “dropped the ball” on something, that means that you failed to accomplish what you could have done.  All I was saying is that we didn’t fail to do anything we could have done.  That doesn’t excuse us for the issues that still need to be fixed.  It’s just me saying that we didn’t miss anything that we could have fixed in the latest firmware.  

Now, I do understand how frustrated you are, and personally I’m okay with you venting your frustrations - as long as you keep it within the usage guidelines.  However, you do need to keep in mind that this is a user to user community.  WD is only here to the degree that we, moderators, are here.  And, yes, we do work for WD.  And though you don’t see us posting a lot, we do help a lot of users.  And, yes, there are other staff members that do post here from time to time just to help out - though they’re not required to.  But, unless you want me to take you off line and escalate your complaint, which I’d be more than willing to do, you will not find much engagement with WD here.  So, that is why other users are encouraging you the way they are. 

If you’d like any further help, don’t hesitate to private message me.   I’d be more than willing to talk to you more about this.

1 Like

fhall1 wrote:

I’m doing my research now…if the Apple TV streamed from a NAS without jailbreaking, I’d already have one.  Unfortunately, reading reveiws of most of the other big name streamers, they all seem to have issues.  

I agree 100%.  If ATV streamed from my NAS and had a Pandora app I would jump ship in a second.  But, even with all its flaws the WDTV players are the best of this poor class of devices.  But, I’m with you, if WD simply realized that it could differentiate itself by being the premium NAS streamer device with a few “Core” apps at a $99 or less price point it would sell like crazy.  CORE APPS: Pandora, Netflix, YouTube.  That’s it.  You want more apps, buy a Roku or ATV.  But, if you want na awesome streamer buy WD…that should be how they position themselves.

It’s common sense, WDs core business is hard drives!  I love their new MyBook Live NASs.  Why they don’t focus their Media player to be a bare bones yet best in class DLNA NAS streamer is crazy. Clearly, that could be their differentiator.  Stop trying to go toe to toe with Roku and ATV on apps.  Win in the space that is complementary to your core business…streaming from NASs.  The other players don’t do it or don’t do it well.

Oh and by the way, part of being a best in class streaming device is making sure that the stream acts exactly like a DVD, meaning menu support must work flawlessly.

videoveteran wrote:

I want to first apologize to the readers of this topic that dont feel the need to call out others pointlessly.  This will be my last response to those of you that have.

This is a WD forum.  This is where WD posts FW updates.  This is not a “user” based FW.  I mentioned a “user” FW that needs the 3TB kernal and that does offer help and that was ignored (understandably).  As a WD run forum and WD run FW, this is not only “user to user”.  If you have another forum WD runs for customers to voice issues and complaints, im more than happy to take my comments elsewhere.

I aksed very specific questions to Bill related to confusing answers given by WD appointed admins.  At which point another user felt the need to add unhelpful commentary, ironically just like youve done. 

If you dont like the “moaning” igonre the post.  Just because your sick of the moaning doesnt mean there isnt valid reason for it.  Nor does it mean you need to police those that do.  Moaning about moaners is counterproductive and humorously ironic.  Im not a pro at the WDLive and so I have little to offer.  I am however, very skilled at customer service and how to handle frustrated members.  I do not feel like ive asked for a lot either.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/New-to-WD-Community/WD-Community-Usage-Guidelines/td-p/6

Welcome to the WD Community! Western Digital (“WD”) provides the WD Community as a service to its users and customers, to help them exchange ideas, tips, information, and techniques related to our products.

Remember, this is user-generated content.

---------------------------------------

If you want a more constructive answer then I would advise that you take up your problem with WD support.

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?wdc_lang=en

“I am however, very skilled at customer service and how to handle frustrated members” ----- Really? It does not come across like that. Perhaps you are better face to face.

I was using WDTVLivePlus happily to view Netflix - I upgraded Firmware (automatic) to 1.06.16_B and aside from screen resolution issues, everything seems to work EXCEPT NetFlix login.  I get error message “We’re unable to connect you to Netflix.  Please try again or visit wwwlnetflix.com/tvhelp for guidance.” with a “Try Agian” and “Exit” buttons. 

Netflix ESN is visible in ABOUT menu.

Called Netflix and went through manual access to a manual netflix reset.   It asks if I want to deactivate - pressing “deactivate” I get assured I am deactivated - but nothitng has changed - even after a reboot.

The error code is :

Network / 6 / SSL handshake failed /

https://uiboot.netflix.com/apps/htmltvui/upgrade_policy?v=2.0&e=WDBABX0000-315D-C69D-68E4-C29F&device_type=WDBABX0000&certification_version=0

Software Version OEM Device version 1.0

Certification Version 0

Netflix Version: Netflix SDK nrd-3.0.2-591521 - Built 12:21 20101216 by huds

There HAS to be a way to deactivate the now failed registration so that Netflix can re-serve the authentication!!

Help!!

After upgrading I find this .bmk files after playing DVD ISO files:

3360ba0e94ee019a6a1dfb4e4b76c5f3.bmk
e1836462cd31e4716a102d5134383132.bmk

all of them 1024 bytes long with only the archive attribute on.

Is this a replacement of the .wd_tv resume folder? 

Due to new release, this thread is now closed.