New Release - Firmware Version 1.06.16_B for WD TV Live Plus (8/2/11)

I too had to rollback from the 1.06 update to 1.05.

Problems with 1.06

* Pandora streaming was unusable. Songs would stop unfinished and move ahead in queue. Or, songs would stop at end and takes minutes to load next song.

* Netflix menu took much longer to load initially (on the order of 60-120sec instead of almost instant). When trying to load content, Netflix would work up to ~25% complete and then fail most of the time.

* Games content is insufferable. I don’t really want it taking up firmware space, but I tried it anyways. It took ages to load (3-5 minutes) the game menu and then another 5min+ to load a game (Bejeweled knockoff) before I gave up and exited out.

* Lack of Amazon VoD. This isn’t specific to 1.06, but we all know the WDTV needs Amazon VoD to remain competitive. And to be more awesome in the future.

Rolled back to 1.05 and the issues went away instantly. I’ve streamed hundreds of hours of content through Pandora and Netflix on the WDTV without issue until 1.06.

Even though I didn’t keep 1.06, there were some (stated) benefits that I noticed.

* Menus were snappier.

* Alignment issue with audio track fixed.

hulu plus ignores 4:3 aspect ratio

The Netflix problems you are seeing may not be caused by the WD firmware. There have been numerous Netflix outages and other logging in issues that were Netflix problems. The problems are intermittent and do not affect all Netflix users, but Netflix has acknowleged it. I have 1.06.16_B installed and Netflix has been working without any problems.

After upgrading the firmware, my player no longer plays .VOB files.  Instead it will start playing the files but only display a blank screen.  I tested this for multiple folders/VOB files and it displays a black screen for all of them.

This seems to have cleared now after a second reboot.  Not sure if it will appear again or not.

I think wd release a firmware first for the plus because there are less customers than the live.Now they make them beta testers to see the problems of this firmware and fix it for the live because there are more customers here.

I had the same problem. I just finished the upgrade and now there is no option for the USB drive. I’ve tried resetting the unit  and the WD external drive and still nothing… guess I’ll be rolling back as well

:manindifferent:

Zorbak wrote:

My Yamaha HTR-3063 receiver is less than 6 months old and allows all audio formats…

then TonyPh12345  wrote:   No, it doesn’t…   It doesn’t support AAC…

Then kindly tell me why I’ve been playing aac audio on mediafly through my receiver for the last 6 months until this firmware update?

I don’t think it’s your receiver… I have a Sony and still, the only way i can get AAC audio is by having the receiver set as pass-trough and use my tv speakers :frowning:

then TonyPh12345  wrote:   No, it doesn’t…   It doesn’t support AAC…

Then kindly tell me why I’ve been playing aac audio on mediafly through my receiver for the last 6 months until this firmware update?

Dunno.  Doesn’t matter… Your receiver doesn’t support AAC. 

Upgraded well, resume is fixed I’m happy with that, but got frezze when play ISO file. Need to unplug pwer to restart… too bad. I’m roll back to previous version

Would not recognize my 3TB HDD either.  Rolled back and it worked.  Anybody have any luck with 3TB?

Update has made two of my WDTV Live Plus a brick basiclly.  They power on.  But Wireless USB doesnt work 100%.  And when it does work MKV’s streaming over the network dont work and its a massive static screen.  Fix This Now…

It realy look like these so call FIRMWARE UPDATE  are a joke!

1 Like

my firmware will download but when it goes to install it wont finish and says wrong version.  any ideas?  it happened the last version also and i never fixed it.

bkid1400 wrote:

my firmware will download but when it goes to install it wont finish and says wrong version.  any ideas?  it happened the last version also and i never fixed it.

This is something you need to start your own thread for, please.

Since I installed the new release I no longer have sound on Youtube.  Everything else seems to work.

Just downloaded Release 1.06.16 (8/2/2011).

After the download, it shifted to a new screen:

Updating firmware

Your HD Media Player is being upgraded.  Please DO

NOT disconnect power or the attached storage.

(=============)

0%

AND it’s been like that for the past 2 hours!  Does it really take that longer than that??!

Against the above advice, I turned it off, tried rebooting, took out all the USB devices connected, tried rebooting again, downloaded the upgrade on my computer, unzipped, put into a thumb drive at the root directory, plugged it in, rebooted again… I still end up with the above screen.

Is my 3 month old device permanently bricked at this point?!

Any help would be appreciated!

There have been a number of posts on various internet sites regarding flash ram not flashing correctly. In the event of flash ram not flashing correctly, the flash ram manufacturers recommend re-flashing the flash ram twice with the same program. If re-flashing does not work downgrade to the previously installed flash. If re-flashing does not correct the issue return the box for a warranty refund or repair.

“Upgraded” to this recently. Sure feels like a downgrade. There is now an unacceptable lag between pressing the buttons & the menu moving. Under previous firmware versions, this was near instant.

The deal-breaker for me is the unit is unresponsive. After the long load time to see the drive, I get the spinning circle when I browse through movies… and it then becomes unresponsive.

I’m downgrading. The last one worked fine. This is ridiculous. I don’t think I’m going to do any more firmware upgrades.

emptyfree wrote:

“Upgraded” to this recently. Sure feels like a downgrade. There is now an unacceptable lag between pressing the buttons & the menu moving. Under previous firmware versions, this was near instant.

The deal-breaker for me is the unit is unresponsive. After the long load time to see the drive, I get the spinning circle when I browse through movies… and it then becomes unresponsive.

I’m downgrading. The last one worked fine. This is ridiculous. I don’t think I’m going to do any more firmware upgrades.

OK so I am not the only one with major delays before an action is executed after pressing a button.