New Release - Firmware Version 1.06.15_V for the WD TV Live (8/9/11)

Hi All.

First, sorry for not reading all 46 pages but tried the searching but no relevant hits.

I just updated my WD TV Live to 1.06.15_V and already at first movie I say the first bug.

When changing subtitles it doesn’t show the language or even that it changes.

I remember the previous did.

Christian

Hi
when you say " The ORIGINAL Live was called the “WDTV Live Media Player.”   It is no longer being made, and will ultimately be unsupported soon.", does it mean that the WD team is not going to make at least a last and proper firmware ?

Well if WD do stop supporting the TV live without issuing a firmware upgrade with at least gapless audio and 24/96 support I’ll be ebaying the TV live and replacing it.  Not with a WD product though.  Their support for the live has been abominable and incompetent…

chris110761 wrote:

Well if WD do stop supporting the TV live without issuing a firmware upgrade with at least gapless audio and 24/96 support I’ll be ebaying the TV live and replacing it.  Not with a WD product though.  Their support for the live has been abominable and incompetent…

I guess there’s gonna be a flood of WDTV Live’s on ebay… I’m about to sell mine too. And my next player will surely NOT be a WD.

VMat

any news of a new firmware or have we yet again been brushed under the carpet with the “NEW MACHINE” lame

excuse i ask?

if WD stop supporting this device I will also sell it as there are too many unsolved issues.

not without getting in as many forums i can and expressing my discontent with the device and with WD in general, so that no more users suffer problems we are. also facebook and twitter to let the world know. (with such a LINKED social networks, opinions spread very easily)

It takes a lot of work (and money) to make a good brand name, reputation, etc, but unhappy users can raise their voice and ruin all this, stopping lot of potencial buyers, imagine going into every “comment” section of every review of the new WD device and express our opinion…

Gixxer wrote:

if WD stop supporting this device I will also sell it as there are too many unsolved issues.

not without getting in as many forums i can and expressing my discontent with the device and with WD in general, so that no more users suffer problems we are. also facebook and twitter to let the world know. (with such a LINKED social networks, opinions spread very easily)

It takes a lot of work (and money) to make a good brand name, reputation, etc, but unhappy users can raise their voice and ruin all this, stopping lot of potencial buyers, imagine going into every “comment” section of every review of the new WD device and express our opinion…

I think that a number of people have already done that and WD are still selling loads of drives and media players.

Interesting effect I’ve just noticed.  I tried to leave a negative review of the tv live on ebuyer three times, warning potential buyers to check these forums before they buy.  Lo and behold, when I go to check my review afterwards it has disappeared.  I know this has been common practice on some sites with some manufacturers, like a condition of supply.  Anyone else noticed this?

Cancel that, I think theres a delay on them coming up, although the first was placed a week ago

chris110761 wrote:

Interesting effect I’ve just noticed.  I tried to leave a negative review of the tv live on ebuyer three times, warning potential buyers to check these forums before they buy.  Lo and behold, when I go to check my review afterwards it has disappeared.  I know this has been common practice on some sites with some manufacturers, like a condition of supply.  Anyone else noticed this?

And thus start the conspiracy theories…  

richUK i am aware that its not possible to destroy WD like this, nor i want to do that.

But if I safe someone from buying this device and suffering the bugs we are suffering, then I am happy.

Hello everyone. Like I said, I found a partial solution for the problems with this firmware. For now, it looks like it has nothing to do with the Live itself. In my country, my ISP provided the router, a Hitron BVW3653 Board v2. Yesterday, I checked a portuguese website and it stated that if we unplugged the ethernet cable the device worked well, without, e. g., the device stop responding to the remote. And they were right. I don’t know what kind of router the rest of the world has, but try to do the same. This hasn’t helped though, because playing my media using shared folders is one of the main reasons why I use this little ■■■■■■… Cheers. 

richUK wrote:

Gixxer wrote:

I think that a number of people have already done that and WD are still selling loads of drives and media players.

I’d like to be fair: I do like their drives. No more than other big brands in that market, but no less either. By the way, I have one of their 2TB external HD connected to the WDTV. After 6 months, no complaints.

Their media player, however, is far from great - and so is their support for the player. I’m going to look for better alternatives.

VMat

Hi Miguel,

I don’t suppose we can blame the router by any problem the Live can have, anyway did you succeed to make the Live work (without hanging and so on, after you stop it) with latest firmware when it’s disconnect, I am still using 1.02.21.

Thanks

Hello Renatus, I’m not sure if you were asking a question. I used the latest firmware to test this theory; the remote control was fully operational after unplugging the ethernet cable and I could stop a video without the sound in the background. I plugged it in and all the sh*$% came back. I didn’t make more tests and reversed immediatly to the only fw that works for me, 1.02.21. Are you from Portugal? If so, do you have Zon? Right now, I don’t know what to do but at least I’m glad I found out.

Hi Miguel,

Yes I am from Portugal and also with Zon, this is very interesting, don’t know if it’s just a coincidence.

It looks like we have the same problems, when we stop the video the sound continue and next videos will not play.

I have two boxes, both have the same problem, the only fw that works is the 1.02.21. My question was if you could make it work with the latest firmware and the network disconnected. I read somewhere that after the hanging of the wdtv we must disconnect from power and connect again, there is an internal service that crashes and to make it start again, it is the only way. I can make that test, but I wondered if you did it yourself.

regards

Renato

For those from Portugal and maybe this will help other (maybe WD team):

I’m from Portugal also and the problem for those issues to happen is because of a firmware zonhub upgrade.

Since the last upgrade of the firmware for the ISP zon hub, WDTV freezes after play first movie. After this and after trying to stop the movie, the image will desappear but sound will remain and there is no way to start a new one unless we reboot the WDTV.

The only solution to workaround this, for now, is to elevate the zon hub firewall to max protection.

You can read more about thison this link (portuguese):  http://foruns.zon.pt/forum/index.php?showtopic=23864&st=0

I think this is a problem with the zon hub firmware but also a problem with the WDTV firmware. That’s why the only firmware version that works is 1.02.21.

ZON is aware of the problem and they say they did pass this problem to technical departement. Maybe WD has something to say about this also.

The problem is somehow related with IGMP.

Hopo this helps.

Hello Renato, I’m glad you’re a tuga too. I’ll keep writing in english to help foreign users in case they need. I upgraded my live to 1.06.15 and pulled the ethernet cable off the Live. It played videos very well and made them stop without the background sound. Right after that I plugged the ethernet cable back into the Live and the problems came back. The Zon Hub is the problem, not the 1.06.15 fw. I read at forumzwame.pt that Zon made an update to the Hub firmware and that caused all this, wich makes total sense because the previous fw versions of the Live worked well with it. And now, as you too have found out, only the fossile 1.02.21 works. How do your Lives connect with the Hub?Wired or wireless? It’s because I’d like to know if this problem happens only with the ethernet cable or if it happens too with usb wireless pens. Hope to hear from you soon.

Hello outra vez Renato, I’ve just read the post that Cusco left. I think you’ll find it interesting… I’m starting to really hate Zon…

Hi Miguel and Cusco, yes, it’s better to continue in English so others can take advantage of this information as well.
The information that Cusco gave is very important, clarifies what’s happening, thank you as well to Miguel and to the description of your experience. Some minutes ago I re-upgraded my daughters wdtv to the latest version, I did it in her room because normally it’s disconnected from the network. The result was that everything worked normally as before, no more problems playing the videos and no more hanging of the box so I suppose the problem is identified.
Just two things, I suppose there is an incompatibility between the box and zon hub, that does not necessarily mean the problem came from the hub, it could be from the box, it’s not clear, when this kind of problems appear “a priori” we cannot know for sure the origin.
Two workarounds are possible for the moment: disconnect the box from the network or return to a previous version of the firmware (seems that the oldest that works is the 1.02.21), this is not a definitive solution of course, but better then nothing, at least we more or less understand what’s going on.
I should add I am connected by cable to the Hub.
regards
Renato