New Release - Firmware Version 1.04.31_V for WD TV Live (4/6/11)

I bought my WD TV Live yesterday and upgraded from 1.02.21 to this firmware…

The problems I noticed immediately are:

When browsing the screen goes from washed out light to a rich dark everytime you scroll through each video file and the same happens when you play a movie at the beginning for a few seconds.

When you scroll through the menus it occasionally jumps down past the Network option.

Can we know when the new firmware will be in public?

And we need the 96khz-192khz fix for the flac files.

Same problem for me.

I bought 2 WDTV and 2 TP-Link Wireless N USB adapter TL-WN821N  V3.1.  I expected it work in next firmware.

One problem with last firmware. Jump itens when I press a arrow (like if I pressed a twice or more times) with remote control. If I roolback to previous firmware stop the problem. Please WD support team try to fix this problem too.

In this firmware release, no DVD ISO will play; trying to play one results in a, “Unable to play selected file.  Please refer to the user manual.” error message.  These ISOs have worked fine right up until this firmware release, at which point all five hundred and eighteen of them mysteriously ceased to be viewable or show in the preview window.

The unit has been reset both by the reset button and the reset-to-factory item in the setup menu.  Repeatedly, as it happens, on both counts.  The FreeNAS-0.7.2 installation hosting them is working properly, and the permissions and ownership on the ISOs is correct.  The ISOs play just fine in other software-based media players, and I get the same results if I copy one to a USB thumb drive (respecting the 4Gb filesize limitation of the FAT filesystem) and try to play it from there.

It’s reassuring to know that it appears as though WD is maintaining their standards when it comes to firmware updates, though it is hard to see how they could really slip any further.

I have decided to only upgrade when the upgrade is supposed to specifically address  specific issues I’m facing.

The ISO problem sounds serious.

Have you tried extracting the Video_TS folder from the ISO and attempt to play it?

This version still doesn’t work for me.

I have exact copies of the DVD on my hard drive and VOB files still stutter and lose the sound when playing over my local LAN. My unit is connected via a Gig switch! They have had plenty of time to fix this. I think it’s disgraceful and I am feeling ripped off!

I have had to go back to 1.02.21 firmware to get it working WTF WD!

You are the only one that complains about stuttering on DVD. Mine are working ok.

My WDTV Live will work flawlesly till my Win7 decides to do some “maintenance work” in the background - indxing the HDD, scanning for viruses, updating the software, defragmenting or what else decides to do. If I was you, I  would shut down all the unecessary automated tasks before starting to complain.

SoNic wrote:

…till my Win7 decides to do some “maintenance work” in the background…   I  would shut down all the unecessary automated tasks before starting to complain.

I’m sure this is your problem, Atrophy.  Take a look at your processor usage.  If your stream to the WDTV stutters when you see spikes up in you processor activity, I guarantee the stream from your files is getting hammered.  Other factors might be throughput from the drive (drive health, run chkdsk), or antivirus background activity.  Gig LAN won’t help this, the WDTV is only a 100 meg device.  I speak from experience on throughput, as I had same issues with a DVD drive running through AnyDVD.  When I increased the throttle limit on AnyDVD for the drive a bit, all video stalls were gone.  By the way, the latest version of firmware has much better network speeds fixing some Vista/XP together on LAN issues I had.

Yes, this is a problem with this version of the firmware.  Mine works for a few hours or days, and then gives the same error message.  So far, unpluging it  and waiting about 30 seconds before plugging it back in makes everything work again.   Can’t really expect software from hardware guys, they ship as soon as it wiggles 8-).

mhuth1776 wrote:

Yes, this is a problem with this version of the firmware.

What specifically is a problem?

Mine works for a few hours or days, and then gives the same error message.

What error message?  Mine’s never given an error – it’s been working since the moment the FW was released.

Atrophy wrote:

This version still doesn’t work for me.

I have exact copies of the DVD on my hard drive and VOB files still stutter and lose the sound when playing over my local LAN. My unit is connected via a Gig switch! They have had plenty of time to fix this. I think it’s disgraceful and I am feeling ripped off!

I have had to go back to 1.02.21 firmware to get it working WTF WD!

• *> As others have replied, this is likely local: your network or your server.> I ran it off an XP (sp1a, 2gb slow DDR 2700 ram 3.6ghz P4) and I can support 2 WD Live Plus without stutter.  I also use an old dual cpu (not dual core) running server2003 (4gb running other stuff as well) and I can support all 3 WD net-sharing the ISO without stutter.  Both my PC and Server are not particularly fast and I run 100mb to my WiFi access point.> I suspect your network/server may not be as clean as you think.> Trying file-copying from your server to your PC (by server, I mean the machine serving the file to WD, even if it is a laptop running Xp, that is your server.)  Copying a 7-8 gig ISO over the network would be a good test.  To give you a gauge, I can copy a 7-8 gig ISO in about 3-4 minute over my hardwired GB Lan.  Let see if your system can copy to/from the server at about the same time.  That may give you a clue.> Try that copy, give us some numbers (how many GB/Second when copying from Server to PC.)> Good luck…  Rick

Hello, i have the same problem. Any solution ?

Sorry, I though I’d replied to another messge about the player suddenly being unable to play anything.

Still no sign of a new version release ? so much wrong with current build.

Must ask you guys, does your player get realy hot when using it for a couple of hours?

Mine was VERY hot and the picture went plain black with the sound still playing…

Anyone else?

I wish.  I had to revert immediately after I installed due to the fact that my color space settings were wrong and had to be reset after each poweron.  Now I have to contend with “New firmware found” each time.  Why can’t I shut this off?  I suppose I could block it at the router, but a setting to turn off update notifications would be nice.

AdamSmith wrote:

I wish.  I had to revert immediately after I installed due to the fact that my color space settings were wrong and had to be reset after each poweron.  Now I have to contend with “New firmware found” each time.  Why can’t I shut this off?  I suppose I could block it at the router, but a setting to turn off update notifications would be nice.

I have to agree with you.  There should be a check box (like my AntiVirus) “Don’t remind me until next update”.

If your router support the url block, block http://www.support.wdc.com and you will not receive the firmware upgrade notification. I am on 1.02.21 and am very happy with it as it does almost everything I bought this player for and never receive the annoying upgrade notification. I will certainly upgrade to a new firmware once I found that it is finally stable and there are no major problem with it.

Must ask, if and when there’s a new update MUST i first apply this latest one to get a message about the newer one or does it tell me even if i have an older version?

ANY NEWER firmware update will be automatically detected regardless of what CURRENT firmware you’re using.