New Release - Firmware Version 1.04.22_V for WD TV Live (3/8/11)

Yes, the UI is working fast IF you select HDMI>>Auto>>Auto>>Yes( auto frame rate)

Try to select 1080p 24Hz it is working again slowly.

Anyway as I wrote in my previous post the auto detection is not working with some .MKV files. It doesn’t detect them as 24 fps as they are. I tried to convert them to m2ts and then the WD detected their actual frame rate - 24p. So maybe the problem exists only with some .MKV files. 

IFK120 wrote:

For those who have trouble with diaplaying movie icons over network share. Just read the manual!!!. Icon must be named folder.jpg  

This works for me and over USB and over network. Its no necessary to name it as a movie file. 

Hi IFK120 … this solution depending how you’ve organized your library … I have, for instance, all children’s cartoon in one folder, so the folder.jpg will be a generic image to show for toon folder, and the .jpg named like .avi to show the single image for every movie. For me work fine both local and NW shares. I guess that you have one folder for every movie, so put this folder.jpg  in every folder surely will work …

regards

Hi board,

for who is interesting, the media server app TVersity will work fine.

regards

Pulled the trigger and upgraded the firmware over the weekend, and no problems. DLNA streaming of FLAC files, photos, and video clips is still functioning as expected. Bonus: a couple of the DVD .iso files that had previously not worked correctly are now functioning perfectly, so thanks for the improvement in that area! Also thank you for fixing the ‘progress bar not disappearing’ bug.

Hi guys…I currently am using a usb hub and have a wireless usb key and a keyboard plugged into it and both are working. I am worried if I upgrade to the latest firmware I will lose my keyboard functionality.(I believe I read this somewhere). Is this the case? Thanks in advance. Mike

I tried the new factory firmware, but which is anomalous in several films in the center-channel speakers and the sound faded away not to return only if you start afresh movie. Oh yeah, and do not list what type of language in the audio only, and even if you become too vague and not well illustrated.

Bug: set  Setting>Video>Subtitles to ON. This is not persistent. It appears that the device turns this off, either because a video plays in preview or the device has been turned off.

Fix to implement: If a user explicitly navigates to tthe setting menu to turn subtitles on then leave them on unless the user retruns to the same menu to turn them off. This setting must be persistent after reboots and nothing should change this setting as it does at the moment.

This is the single most irritating bug with WdTV Live, Everytime I fire up the device I have to go to settings>Video and check if the subtitles are on. They have often been turned off. Please fix this, if you go to the trouble of navigating to the subtitles system setting to turn it on then why would the device decide to turn them off afterwards. I registered on this forum with the sole intention of asking for this bug to be fixed.

I"m too scared to upgrade my WDTV Live Plus unit.  I tried last time and screwed up my unit so I had to go back to the old factory firmware. Will just stay where I am.  I don’t think the WDTV tech guys are reading our postings.  Hmm.

GOOD JOB!! I love these two new features below: Resolved problem where high sample rate audio was being downsampled to 48KHz. Supports Tune-In radio application. Also the Fix below is excellent! Resolved video playback where audio takes 5 seconds to catch up after fast-forward or re-wind. Since I need larger menu font and FTP feature. So I’m going to wait for B-RAD’s updated firmware. Thank for your effort!!

I also like the update, because I always use an USB Keyboard :wink:

But I still have the problem of distorted sound, if the audio track level isnt very low. That concerns some movies, but also nearly every radio station. The music is generally totally distorted. I suppose that the firmware has a low limit for dynamics. Is there any solution for that?

Regarding 96khz downsampling to 48khz.

I have had this reply from WD

"Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.
After having your case being reviewed by our seniors.
Please be informed that, the issue you are experiencing is not a hardware restriction, just a firmware bug.
Our firmware development department is currently working on new firmware releases and hopefully this will be covered on one of the new firmware updates.
But unfortunately, we are unable to confirm nor guarantee when or if it will be fixed, as we do not have this information available.
If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further. "

So keep your fingers crossed

“But unfortunately, we are unable to confirm nor guarantee when or if it will be fixed”

Ok that is ridiculous. In other words WD say we know there is a problem with our product, it could be fixed but we don’t know if we gonna do that? This sounds to me as ‘we actually do not really care if our customers are not satisfied’.

1 Like

sounds like standard corporate CYA legalese to me. When car commercials on television include text that says “do not attempt; professional driver on a closed course” when all those cars are doing is driving along sedately, you really have to take boilerplate sorts of replies with a handful of salt.

style34 wrote:

“But unfortunately, we are unable to confirm nor guarantee when or if it will be fixed”

Ok that is ridiculous. In other words WD say we know there is a problem with our product, it could be fixed but we don’t know if we gonna do that? This sounds to me as ‘we actually do not really care if our customers are not satisfied’.

This is the standard reply from WD. It never gives out timelines.

1 Like

Yeah, ok i agree with you guys but it would be better if the standard answer is something like We’ll do our best to improve our product. And we don’t even talk about improving of something here but about a  BUG with the product.

Anyway I mean WD and everyone other manufacturer should care about customer’s satisfaction. 

1 Like

style34 wrote:

Yeah, ok i agree with you guys but it would be better if the standard answer is something like We’ll do our best to improve our product. And we don’t even talk about improving of something here but about a  BUG with the product.

Anyway I mean WD and everyone other manufacturer should care about customer’s satisfaction. 

You would think so but it appears that their corporate policy is in conflict with customer satisfaction.

1 Like

Hi there. Since i updated my device to 1.04.22 the network shares from my windows 7 ultimate laptop (via ethernet cable) have disappeared. the box simply does not recognize the laptop anymore (at network shares section but displays it at the mediaserver section. that is pretty annoying and never happened to me anytime before - any workaround until this gets fixed? i already rebooted box and laptop. win xp prof and dm800HD network shares get recognized normaly :frowning:

style34 wrote:

Please read my post here for what I believe is the actual explanation for WD’s inability to provide Canadian Netflix access at this time along with why they can’t even confirm IF they will ever do so:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/Netflix-Canada/m-p/153938#M10117

Has the Vorbis audio at mkv been fixed? Are the screeches gone?

Also having a few problems with this new release. WD TV Live (UK based)

As in the graphic earlier that said PREV / NEXT skips chapters… this doesn’t work for either mkv’s (with chapters that are accessible in the chapters menu) OR VIDEO_TS vob rips. In a vob rip it just seems to restart the movie.

Another bug with regards to the chapters menu, when on say chapter 18, I do not need to be shown from chapter 1 and have to move all the way up to get to chapter 20 again, it should know i’m on chapter 18 already (wouldn’t be needed if functionality actually matched that advertised).

A chapter number in the info bar would be appreciated.

Chapters menu not available for VIDEO_TS folders :confused:

The Auto framerate is flawed and DOES change the resolution.

UK with tv capable of 60/50/24Hz, info button shows res/framerate.

Set as specified in release notes.

Supports Auto-framerate (Audio Video settings/video output/HDMI/auto/auto/Match video framerate)

*Above does not allow you to set a resolution!

Tested with the below sequence:

Power on, Menu = 1280x720/60Hz

Play blue ray mkv rip = 1920x1080/24Hz

Stop playback, Menu = 1280x720/60Hz

Playback PAL dvd rip, select VIDEO_TS folder, press play = 1280x720/60Hz (Wrong!) (Need to hit play here to allow it to playback as a dvd rather than seperate vobs.)

Enter VIDEO_TS folder, press play on vob1 = 1280x720/50Hz (correct rate)

Also on this and previous firmware, if selecting a 24p mkv to watch via component on projector which will accept 50/60 Hz only, then juddering is more obvious than expected… meaning you NEED a display that would accept 24p.

Subtitles no longer working for MKV files. Work fine in other clients and in previous firmware. This is for both HDD access and via dlna server (TVersity and Serviio tested)

Now just gotta figure out how to downgrade to previous version, if someone has a link that would be great.

Edit: Note, also get ‘unsupported mode’ sometimes come up when the WD TV Live is deciding which res/rate is needed.