New Release - Firmware Version 1.04.17_V for WD TV Live (12/30/10)

No issues with the update here. Accessing samba shares on a NAS box, wired. Again, did not have to reset or do anything with the network logins. Just took the update, let it reboot. It kills me when I read all the nay-sayers.

^ Lucky you.

My network shares on my DNS323 will no longer open. All it says is “Can’t access this share”. Tried everything, rebooting, restore defaults, clear login info, still won’t go. Surprisingly Windows Shares are working better now, but the SMB share is what I need.

1.04.10V roll back here I come!

If you add an Icon to the Mediaplayer dashboard with a mcode there is no way to remove it again.

1 Like

Since Version 1.04.10 and 1.04.17 I have very bad perfomance over network (mostly with mkv). Somtimes I can’t get access at all, somtime it takes a very long time and somtimes I have no sound after 4 - 5 seconds or I have slow motion pictures with or without sound.

Other things work fine so far, except that I hate it to reboot the WD as I mostly lose my hdmi settings and I miss the 1080p23,9xx framerate settings since beta 1.03.3x.

Edit: Certainly I always load the factory settings after a firmware update

Edit2: I have made a rollback to 1.03.49. Now I have the same perfomance problems over wired network. Perhaps I have an internal network problem that cause the bad performance (I use two fritzbox dsl-router. The second fritzbox seem to have a speed problem at the moment. As soon as I find the time I will reflash the fritzbox).

._________

2 x WD TV LIve

TVs: Sony KDL-W5500E and LG47LD450

Installed v1.04.17 today using the automatic update process. Very straightforward without any need to reset the WDTVLIVE so far. My unit is connected wirelessly and so far hasn’t skipped a beat.  This firmware has certainly fixed the USB keyboard lag issue (I use a Logitech Wii wireless keyboard via a USB hub which is shared with the wireless 11n network dongle) and in my experience overall menu responsiveness - which noticably lagged on the previous firmware - is also much improved.  I realise it is still early days for this installation and will certainly update this post if I encounter any bugs.

MikeTNT wrote:

You should do it before as well to set the player to a defined state.

1 Like

MikeTNT wrote:

Since Version 1.04.10 and 1.04.17 I have very bad perfomance over network (mostly with mkv). Somtimes I can’t get access at all, somtime it takes a very long time and somtimes I have no sound after 4 - 5 seconds or I have slow motion pictures with or without sound.

Other things work fine so far, accept that I hate it to reboot the WD as I mostly lose my hdmi settings and I miss the 1080p23,9xx framerate settings since beta 1.03.3x.

My MKVs are playing fine from a NAS running Windowx XP. However, it takes ages to start the MKV playback (about 10 seconds). Previous versions took less time that, and my other players (Xtreamer and TViX N1) start the MKV playback almost instantaneously (less than 3 seconds after I press “Play”).

However, the worse thing with WDTV Live, that got even worse with firmwaer 1.04.x is the playback of MTS files from my HD camcorder (Canon HF200), also stored on my NAS running windows XP. In firmwares 1.03.x/1.02.x, the playback of MTS files took ages to start as well, and since the camcorder saves each scene in a separate MTS file, it is simply impossible to watch my home movies on WDTV Live. To make things worse, the firmware 1.04.x is even WORSE. The MTS playback seems to start a little faster than the previous versions, but it plays back the first 5 seconds with NO SOUND. After this, the video stops, the audio playback starts, and the image keeps still until the audio reaches the point where the video was, and then the playback continues normally.

Well, I can say I am an experienced multimedia player user, since I have a WDTV Live, a TViX N1, and a Xtreamer. I also had in the past a TViX 6500A (which I replaced by the Xtreamer).

WDTV Live is the best player for online *internet* contents (it has the best YouTube support of all players I mentioned). However,for playing back contents stored in my NAS, I have to say that WDTV Live is the worse player of all the ones I have today. It is impressive how a huge company as WD can deliver a so half-backed product…

I was really expecting that WD would release new firmwares that would improve WDTV Live, but this is not what I am seeing. Each new firmware is more a regression than an evolution. Currently I am not recommending WDTV Live to any of my friends that are on the market for a media player…

Sorry for venting it here, but that’s my impression.

Cheers,

dsouza

Although its not listed. The problems introduced in 1.04.10 with the File manager seems to have been fixed.

It highlights the options and all actions complete properly.

I still find the File Manager functionally too weak than it should be.

You can’t make folders, it doesn’t show disk space used/remaining etc.

I’m very happy otherwise with the version so far. (I used a wired internet connection)

Maybe the next media player WD introduces should also have built-in wireless.  That will eliminate a lot of the

problems experienced and would surely make firmware development much easier on their part.

It would also mean freeing up a USB port  for other uses.

Installed Release 1.04.17 yesterday and while playing a vob movie, paused it for 3 minutes, came back resumed and it started playing without sound, attempted to rewind, stop and resume and system rebooted. 

Was able to reproduce this serverl times.  Also when pausing and restarting, status bar at bottom will not go away unless you rewind a few seconds after the pause and then restart.

Turned on my WD TV Live HD this morning, saw the new update, stuck it on.

Whoops.

First, the system seems to have a problem with Samba - after startup, the first time it tries to access *any* share, it reports a failure.  The second time, it works fine.  Annoying, but bearable (and it also happens with the previous firmware version).  The network is running a mix of Windows XP, Vista and Win7 machines - there’s also a virtualised Linux machine, but it doesn’t have any network shares.

The second and bigger problem is that it’s no longer able to play media files properly (e.g. divx-encoded AVI files): if you navigate to one and press the “ok” button, the screen goes black and you get the circular “loading” display, bu the file doesn’t actually load.  However, the preview screen loads fine and if you maximise the preview to make it full-screen, it continues to play smoothly.  But if you then fast-forward the video, the player takes 10-15 seconds to recover after you press play to restore 1x playback.

Is the box now doing some sort of odd pre-parse on the files?  My wireless-N network is running at around 2mb a second, so there’s plenty of bandwidth for the SD-resolution stuff I’m streaming.

In any case, I think I’ll be downgrading the firmware this afternoon…

I am having a similar problem with m2ts files.

The video starts without sound, then after some seconds (seems to vary) it will freeze and the sound will start. When the sound has caughtup to the video it will start again.

Upgraded to V1.04.17 and now I can’t access my network shares (Windows Server 2008). The WDTV box keeps saying “There is no media in the current folder”. I have tried to reenter credentials and rebooted the WDTV a number of times but nothing helps…

Everything worked perfectly with the 1.04.10 firmware… :cry:

1 Like

I am having the same problem with the m2ts files shot with a Canon Camcorder - vixia hfs10. Downgrading.

1 Like

j00ce wrote:

Turned on my WD TV Live HD this morning, saw the new update, stuck it on.

Whoops.

First, the system seems to have a problem with Samba - after startup, the first time it tries to access *any* share, it reports a failure.  The second time, it works fine.  Annoying, but bearable (and it also happens with the previous firmware version).  The network is running a mix of Windows XP, Vista and Win7 machines - there’s also a virtualised Linux machine, but it doesn’t have any network shares.

The second and bigger problem is that it’s no longer able to play media files properly (e.g. divx-encoded AVI files): if you navigate to one and press the “ok” button, the screen goes black and you get the circular “loading” display, bu the file doesn’t actually load.  However, the preview screen loads fine and if you maximise the preview to make it full-screen, it continues to play smoothly.  But if you then fast-forward the video, the player takes 10-15 seconds to recover after you press play to restore 1x playback.

Is the box now doing some sort of odd pre-parse on the files?  My wireless-N network is running at around 2mb a second, so there’s plenty of bandwidth for the SD-resolution stuff I’m streaming.

In any case, I think I’ll be downgrading the firmware this afternoon…

Disconnect the power cable from the device, wait a few seconds and plug it in again. This will fix what you describe and hopefully it won’t happen again.

1 Like

For the record - my 3TB drive worked just fine with partitions until this update. Have had to roll back. Bit not good.

BIG PROBLEM…

I use an external 3Tb drive to store all my media, and this update rendered it useless since the firmware only supports 2Tb dives…

Tech said they had problems with the hub corrupting larger drives.

HURRY up with the next firmware update so I can use my 3Tb drive again!

I cant use my 3tb external disk too.Is any way for the next firmware to passthrough dts-ma?Because the true-hd passthrough succesfully.I think most of the people need dts-ma.

Just upgraded my two WDTV Lives: one connected wired, the other wireless. I play my media from a QNAP NAS which is music, photos and movies/videos mostly divx, mp4 and mkv’s. Upgrade went well, without a hitch. The wired one could not connect to the QNAP after the upgrade. I turned auto connect off, and it then connected; then I turned the auto connect back on and it works just as before now. I was the most worried about the wireless since I had read lots of complaints here, but the wireless had absolutetly no issues connecting to my QNAP after the upgrade.  Nice job WD!  Al

I upgraded to the current firmware.  Everything went accordingly, but I lost audio for all my mkv files.  AVI files and music files have no audio issues only mkv’s.  Guys got any advice?

Ugraded yesterday before watching a movie with the missus…

Had been about 6 months since I upgaraded… and thought… eh… what the heck… Installed, dId a factory reset and all… wrong move… not a happy wifey!

My problems:

• No or intermittent audio over HDMI. I have tried all 3 audio settings… tried 3 different HDMI cables… played MP3, played movies over SAMBA… nothing… as I am writing this, every 30-50 seconds I hear about 0.5-1 second of audio blast through my theatre speakers… then nothing…
  • Tried playing a movie over samba… stutter stutter stutter… over a wired network… tried again his morning to diagnose… this time played OK… but no sound.
  • I can not stream from my iSedora (MAC) DLNA Server… I can navigate and select a movie… then the screen goes blank… then nothing… have to ‘return’ to get it back… Then I plug my Panasonic Blu-Ray and play form the same DLNA server with no problems…

I have a HDMI switch the that my various HDMI connections go to to break out the audio to a TOSLink (Projector and amp for sound), and if I look at the end of the optical cable when I have the WD Live HD connected no ‘red light’ is coming out of the TOS cable… when I select any of my other devices ther is ‘red light’ coming form the end of teh TOS canle, indicating that there is HDMI audo data…

What the heck is going on at WD? every firmware seems to be getting worse and worse!

G./