New Firmware Release - Firmware Version 1.04.10_V for WD TV Live (11/22/10)

good help me, this is the first time WD does something stupid. before adding feature fix the alredy added one. actually the best firmware is 1.02.21 and it isn’t working good, bad work, you are missing customers.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I don’t disagree with wanting a device that plays one’s media.  But I DO disagree with someone who speaks with hyperbole.

For me, my WDTV is performing quite well.   Not one of my calibration / test / or personal files has failed yet, and I’ve been using it every evening since upgrade.  That is, of course, except for the files that are EXPECTED to fail due to bandwidth demand.    I have a package with about 40 files in every flavor imaginable (except MP4s) with almost every audio format known to man (DTS, DTS-HD, Tru-HD, DTS ES, DTS 96/24, DD 5.1, Vorbis, PCM, etc) in a mix of different containers (M2TS, VOB, MKV, MOV, etc.)    Every single one of them performed as expected.    Only one failed due to lack of audio (the DTS-HD track, which isn’t surprising, since this box doesn’t support that.)

So, you’re working yourself into a logical fallacy.   If your MG35 performs so well, why’d you buy a different one?   I can only guess it’s because it lacked a feature you wanted.  But “never bothered to update firmware” means you never wanted additional features.   So, it’s a bit of a catch-22.   

The other issue with your argument is that you infer that since it doesn’t work for YOU, it must not work for ANYONE.  Well, that’s just not true at all…  The majority of people are having no issues at all.

It’s not the features that were lacking in MG-35 but it’s abilities. Media simply outgrew it (as it will WDTV eventually).

Good for you that WDTV is working for you quite well. It worked for me other than proper DVD (VOB) playback, which came with 1.03.49 just recently and than 1.04.10 broke it. My problem is with spending time and resources in introducing new features to it that have nothing to do with it’s primary function and screwing up that primary function in the process. And please don’t tell me that there is no room for improvement in media playback on WDTV live.

I completly agree. A Media Player must play media properly. What have they done in all beta versions till 1.03.49? break things and not fixing the few bugs found in 1.02.21. Now in 1.04.10, ok, there are new features that have nothing to do with playing media and we still have several bugs related to media that we had not before.

why? who knows… maybe we should ask WD… but in the way, they are losing customers.

My next device won’t be a WD, I can tell you for sure. So much time wasted in finding the way to make it work properly with no results. I would be happy with just de 1.02.21 but now I’m “forced” to upgrade it everytime I switch it on.

mrkeeling wrote:

…And please don’t tell me that there is no room for improvement in media playback on WDTV live.

You raise some good points!  And no, I would never say that.  :)    Before I bought a media player, I looked to see which one out there give me the most bang for the buck.    Then I spent a good chunk of time converting my DVD and BD library to a format I KNEW worked on a WDTV Live.    I had such good luck with it, I went out and got a Live +, and later, a HUB.   They all work, too, because my media is rock-solid.

I’ve yet to be disappointed…  and none of the feature improvements broke anything for me, except PLAYON, and I expect that to be fixed quickly.

WD (and really, ANY media player maker) is stuck in a classic Kobayashi Maru (are you a Star Trek Fan?)    They get beaten about the head and shoulders because new features are NOT added.   Then they go and add new features (like DVD navigation and NetFlix) and it turns out the API that was required by Sigma (the SoC manufacturer) to do those introduced HDMI bugs.   WD spent almost 5 months working with Sigma’s engineers to work out those bugs.   Meanwhile, there’s a huge crowd of people who were NOT invited to participate in a Beta doing so anyway, and then the beatings began again.  “YOU BROKE MY HDMI!!!  WD **bleep**!”  

In the mean-time, they add support for MKV Header Compression, that, while a documented part of the specification, had seldom (EVER?) been used before July.

So, FINALLY, WD goes and brings SIGMA to the Church for a Come to Jesus Meeting (I assume that’s what happened) and they FINALLY nailed the problem down and fixed it for the VAST majority of people, and released a firmware update within just a few weeks of the previous attempt.

Ok, so now we’re five months in.  

Microsoft introduces the “Live Essentials” package into the wild.   It breaks SAMBA.   The bug was in SAMBA’S GPL code, not WDTVs.     People are going NUTS over this.   

So, WD has to completely rework the software to support a MUCH newer version of SAMBA (from 3.0.28a to 3.5.6 … a huge jump)…  and now people who have older versions of SAMBA on their home equipment are bitching because it’s no longer working on their systems.

Also, they’ve got the whole international crowd ringing their bells because of the lack of services that work outside the US.   So, WD spends a lot of time (at least two months from what I can tell examining the progress of fragments of evidence in the BETA packages) working up new features that, apparently, are being VERY well received by the international crowd.

And guess what?   NEW BUGS!  

So, they’re NEVER going to be able to please everyone.  Ever.  They probably will have a hard time even pleasing a significant majority.

Does that excuse buggy code?   No.  But, I think it’s wholly unrealistic for people to expect a device to be as trouble-free as a coffee pot while still satisfying demands for enhancement and growth.

What *I* have been seeing is that bugs that used to exist on only ONE platform now exists on ALL (like the dumb behavior of the progress bar in DVDs, the PLAYON breakdown, etc.)   Yes, it’s annoying.   But it’s a signal of something really good:   My theory is that WD is working also on unifying their boxes to a single code base.   That means that one bug might appear on multiple platforms; but it also means that bug FIXES will come MUCH quicker because they only have to fix one code base.

The post immediately before this one illustrates my points to a tee.   Bicoizzz says “They added new features that have NOTHING to do with Media Playback.”   Whaaaaat?      Tell that to the international folks that are now LOVING Flingo, Deezer, etc, and us domestic folks that are enjoying Blockbuster VOD.    

1 Like

after the newest update, in thumbnail view for videos, the black folder is center on every thumbnail. Is it possible to put this folder back in the corner, or remove it all together so we have a nice view of the thumbnail?

after the newest update, in thumbnail view for videos, the black folder is center on every thumbnail. Is it possible to put this folder back in the corner, or remove it all together so we have a nice view of the thumbnail?

It’s not possible for YOU to fix it, but WD has mentioned that they aware of the issue.

ALSO, the keyboard function does not work in FLINGO. Maybe it’s my keyboard, but my keyboard does work everywhere else. Also, Can we get a web browser app? :slight_smile:

wow this is a kick a$$ update! i’m going to try this shortly. thanks WD i’ve long waited for this update!

04.10 working quite fine here after the EXTREME RESET (clip reset, turn off, factory defaults).

No problems on audio yet, MP3 ok from local and windows lan, MKV 720P ok from local and windows lan, MKV 1080P ok local.

I found Buenos Aires in Accuweather :slight_smile: and the wired usb keyboard works ok (though yet, little unresponsive sometimes).

Found that “kept working in the background” thing for Youtube though. And as I have my WDTV pass-thru powered via the Denon amp, I always turn it off along with that box - and yes, it reverts back to 720p what is a little annoying…

I don’t care about Playon here outside the US, but found Deezer not interesting (poor me who thought it might be an alternative to my dear shoutcast) and Flingo… need to see it yet. Flickr (but can you see your own album?), Accuweather and Facebook are very nice.

Alternative firmware still rocks on the shoutcast support. Hope WD is really devoted to include free radios sometime. Only thing I want beyond stability and…

DO USB HUBS actually work? If so please advise! And which brands do work…

Hi all.

I’m hoping that my problem isn’t unique.

The latestest public firmware release messed up my remote control over the WDTVLive.

I’ve been using a Logitech Harmony 880 remote,through a Radio Shack infrared extender (pyramids) with a split IR cable.  I can hide my components in a cabinet this way, and until now it’s worked very well. (no, I can’t afford a Harmony RF configuration)

Since the release, the WDTVLive seems overly sensitive to remote commands.  ie.  pressing up or down, when viewing a list of files,  will cause the current file highlight to jump forward or back by 1-5 lines.  It makes my WDTVLive pretty well unusable in my current setup.

Through testing, I found that it works fine if I don’t use the extender…  Also, for those knowledgable about Logitech remotes, I have already changed the device response setting (0-5) to 0, and also tried adjusting the various button-press delay settings.   …no luck.

If anyone has had any experience with something like this, or is having the same problem, I’d love to hear about it.

Also, if there is anything that WD can do in a future release to put this back to the way it was before 1.04.10, that would be great.  In looking at the features, I assume that this changed as part of the USB upgrade, in this release.

Thanks!

greenflash,

By extreme reset do you mean you performed that reset after installing the latest FW 1.04.10_x?  I’m having all the usual problems: stutter with .VOBs, but MKVs seem to be OK.  Thanks.

YOU’VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!   One request for Upload to Facebook a week ago and Viola! there it is!!???  What about an option up there to DELETE a file!!!???  There are many dozens of requests for this being requested for years and still nothing. Comeon guys. PRETTY PLEASE !!!

* Supports Facebook application.
    * Supports Deezer application.
    * Supports Flingo application.
    * Supports AccuWeather application.
    * Supports USB keyboards.

i see today new firmware release bad news this applications load the memory not need its not usefull.

im stay in good firmware version 1.03.49

WDTV team try to fix small bugs and dotn add application please in future can add in new player WDTV 3 maybe

with more memory but for shoutcast i dotn have problem is good to see football matches live:smiley:.

There’s still PLENTY of unused memory on the thing. 

All the applications are stored in FLASH.  

The applications don’t use RAM unless they’re active.

So what’s the concern about with memory?

if load one application first go to load RAM how to keep settings.

anyway i dont know what is the limit for flash memory but i see the slow menu.

have different flash memory chip

AT29C512 512k 120ns CMOS Flash Memory

AT45DB321D-SU 32M Flash Memory

AT45DB161D-SU 16M Flash Memory

dont know what use.

hi!!!, Everything is fine since I ve updated to 1.04.10. Really I am very happy with new applications and nothing happen to me. I was afraid some function could be lost.

what I think is the best of all, the usb keyboard support…I CONNECT MY LOGITECH CORDLESS KEYBOARD AND IT WORK REALLY WELL, IT’S VERY USEFUL A CORDLESS’ ONE!.

Not sure you got an answer . . . . Netflix and Pandora were moved to Internet Media from Vidio and Music tabs.

This may be more correct, but is much less convenient (more clicks away)

The previous update added USB keyboard.  We were already usinga wireless USB keyboard.  I’m not sure what they did to the USB drivers with 1.04.10, but keyboard response is slower and error-prone now.