New Beta Release - WDTV Live Firmware Version 1.06.38_V (11/13/12)

XRaiders wrote:

Vize_ WOWWWW YEAH!!! how is possible to view this screen??

Thanks David

Linksheets like the example in earlier posting were a feature in early Firmware revisions and somehow got dropped by WD along the way.

The Freeware Program Thumbgen http://thumbgen.org/

does -in full auto mode- a pretty good job in crawling through your Media Files, pulling Infos from a huge variety of Online Databases like IMDB, and generate Linksheets based on Templates  and small Coversheet as folder icon.

However the visual presentation of the Library was IMO much better in Firmware releases early on - for example the Info sheets generated above could be set like a wall paper in the background - much more of an eye candy (like XBMC).

Edit: I stand corrected - Since JPGs are no longer listed/shown under the ‘Video’ Subtree during browsing, the Linksheets can not be ‘selected’ and viewed like before.

Folder & Coverart Thumbnails are ok though.

If you are really interested in the ‘eye candy’, you might want to take a look at community firmware versions for the WDTV Live @ WDLXTV. summarizing more or less the best (& a few more) features across the previous official Firmware releases.

Linksheets can even be looked up and generated ‘live’ during playback (Tronik player), online subtitle search, Trailer download,etc. … I am still amazed what this little box can do.

Best of all - using the ‘Boot from USB’ feature, changing from community firmware to this Beta version and back comes down to a Thumbdrive being either plugged in or not during reboot.

Best of both worlds & so simple to switch … I am really loving it !

BTW this USB Boot feature with its totally independent settings is REALLY neat & offers itself nicely for something like a ‘trial install & boot first’ for new Firmware releases.

In case a user experiences any Problems with the new Firmware, instead of Panic & frantic search for ‘how to roll-back-firmware-advice’, all you need to do is to remove the USB Drive and reboot.

I mean: ‘How cool is that’ ? :dizzy_face:

Be warned though - nothing for total No0bs -  or your WDTV might end up as a brick & paper-weight  :smileyvery-happy: