Help with network connection

Hi everyone,

The problem is… i have a PC (WINXP) connected to internet with a wireless connection to a router and then i have connected the WDTV with an ethernet connection.

I have connection between them but i haven’t internet in the WDTV. When i check the connection i have “Incorrect DNS server adress”

PC configuration:

wireless

ip 192.168.2.101

subnet 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.2.1

ethernet

ip 192.168.3.1

subnet 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.2.1

WDTV

ip 192.168.3.2

subnet 255.255.255.0

dns 192.168.2.1

gateway 192.168.2.1

Thank you for advance!!!

If the WD is in x.x.3.x it obviously cannot use a gateway in x.x.2.x. The gateway has to be on the same subnet cause this is the machine that allows access to other subnets in the first place. IOW all your machins should be in the same subnet.

Thank you for the reply…!!!

So…

I ve changed my network configuration but i m still having the same problem, i ve internet connection through the wireless network in mi PC but i m still having the same error message “Incorrect DNS server adress”, the IP adress check is OK.

Now with this configuration (see below)i cant see any network shares and i ping the WDTV “ping 192.168.2.110” and i dont have response. With the old configuration i ve been able to see the shares…

The PC and the WDTV have the same workgroup name.

PC configuration:

WIRELESS

ip 192.168.2.101

subnet 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.2.1

ETHERNET

ip 192.168.2.111

subnet 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.2.1

WDTV

ip 192.168.2.110

subnet 255.255.255.0

dns 192.168.2.1

gateway 192.168.2.1

I ran into the same thing with 1.06.43V.  It appeared to go away on its own after I set the WDTV’s network to Manual, assigned an IP manually that is outside of the range of the DHCP server (keep the same DNS address), confirmed that it worked, then finally set it back to auto.  After that, it continued to work for the week or so I left the box at 1.06.43V.

It would be interesting to see if you have exactly the same experience.  The essence of a good bug find is reproducibility.

i ve tried in automatic mode and the message was “Unable to obtain IP adress”…

so… the solution was…

disable all the connections

reset de WDTV

In the PC

enable the wireless connection…

enable the ethernet connection

it set my configuration as:

WIRELESS

ip 192.168.2.101

subnet 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.2.1

dns 192.168.2.1

The follow step:

In the wireless connection properties set the sharing internet access…

It changes the IP from the ethernet connection to

ip 192.168.0.1

subnet 255.255.255.0

gateway BLANK

dns BLANK

In WDTV

Automatic detection of the network configuration

ip 192.168.0.177 (now i changed it to 192.168.0.2)

subnet 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.0.1

dns 192.168.0.1

AND SOLVED!!! checking the connection ive the message “Network connection checked passed”

thank to you all!!!

I have a very simple configuration.  I am on Wndows7 with a wireless capable modem that works well with my other wireless devices, my phone, my camera, my OPPO dvd player and my laptop.  The WD media player(WDBABX0000NBK-00) itself is plugged directly into my TV via an HDMI cable.  I plugged in a netgear dongle, one of those listed as having been tested by WD, and went to system settings.  I then went to network settings and asked it to automatically find my wireless network.  It said it could not find it.  I tried to do it manually with various IP addresses to no avail.  Of course, there is no way of knowing what IP address the unit is looking for but all my other devices have found my modem automatically.  I should mention that I did try the Netgear wireless adapter on my PC and the PC found it and installed the proper driver so there is apparently nothing wrong with the adapter.   When I plug the adapter into the WD unit and navigate to network settings I do NOT get a menu asking me if I want wired or wireless.  I noticed in the WD documention in their FAQs that the unit is supposed to show that menu.   The next menu I get is the one which asks me if I want to set the connection manually or automatically.  I assume that the unit knows I have the wireless dongle inserted since it seems to go out and look for a network.  The message when it returns though is limited or no network connectivity.  That makes me wonder if the WE ports are a problem or is it is the Netgear working with the WD unit even thought the Netgear unit is one of those in the tested list of adapters.  The ports don’t seem to be a problem since the WD unit recognizes the USB external drives when I plug them into either USB port.  It is the Netgear 3100 unit that I purchased. What gives with this unit anyway and why is it so difficult to get working. 

Does your WiFi adaptor have exactly the same version / revision number as that on the approved list? Are you using the latest firmware?

The model number of the netgear adapter matches exactly.  We did upgrade to the latest firmware via a USB flash drive although the instructions to do that were incorrect.  We read to be sure there were no other USB devices attached to the WD unit except for the USB flash drive with the firmware update on it and that the update files had to be in the root directory.  Unfortunately we were not told to be sure there were NO other files on that USB flash drive at all.  Once we tried a new USB flash drive with only the update files on it, the unit found the files and updated itself.  The version number of the network adapter says “not listed” in that list so we  have no way of knowing if it’s the same version or not.  The unit listed as compatible is the Netgear wireless USB  adapter WNDA3100 but as I said above, no version is listed.  The version listed on the box that the Netgear adapter came in is listed as version2.  We have finally managed to get the unit to accept an IPR address of 192.168.0.15 but so far we have not been able to find a DSN or gateway that works with this IPR address.  We got the IPR address from the list of available IPR addresses in our modem software. 

It says not listed* and when you look at the bottom of the list it says.

*If your Wireless adapter has a revision number on the box, the product may be a newer revision than what was validated and may not work. The tested device did not have a version number listed for the hardware on the box or the device. Wireless suppliers have a history of changing the actual hardware (the electronics design and chip), but keeping the model numbers the same and adding a revision level on the box and/or the device.

That sure does make it difficult to get the thing to work then.  One would think they would take care of newer wireless adapters as they issue updates to the firmware realizing it’s impossible to keep up with the variety of units on the market.  Nevertheless since the list of tested units does not, for the most part, contain ANY version number, it makes it impossible to find a unit today that was compatible when they did the testing.   What are we supposed to do I wonder? So far we have gotten it to take an IP address but not the DNS or gateway.  We’ll keep playing with it but so far we have spent two entire days trying to get this to work.  The odd thing is that my phone, my camera, my OPPO bluray player and my laptop all connect to my network wirelessly and with no effort on my part except to initially in the password.  So I know it is possible for companies to make units that work on a variety of equipment.  What gives with Western Digital then that they cannot do the same?  I bought the unit for its wireless capabilities only to find out that so far one has to be a nerd and a half to make it work

The fact is that the old live has no inbuilt WiFi capability, it needs a supported adaptor to work. Its all to do with what WiFi chipset the player firmware supports. As you know on the PC you added the driver for the adaptor, that same requirement has to be in the firmware. Unfortunately the adaptor manufacturers keep changing the internal chip sets without changing the actual model number and equally unfortunate is the fact that the old live player is at end of life.
The newer Live Streaming player gen3 has WiFi built in like your other gadgets and therefore would connect just like them. As you see WD have done the same when it introduced this updated model.