Fix it!

The original poster was obviously very upset and resorted to foul language, shouting (caps) and demands. His post did little to benefit anyone. I’m all for posting about about problems, being descriptive, providing all the details about how it is connected etc. Yes, this helps get things fixed. No, I do not work for WD, I’m just an end user.

It is unfortunate that the upgrade prompt comes up so readily. Most companies state “Do not upgrade unless you are having issues” for firmware.

Many people not technically inclined will never connect the device to the internet to begin with I suspect. others can block the update prompt by configuring their router. I simply keep a copy of every release and I keep a USB flash drive with a good working version ready to be inserted to quickly roll back. My wife can do it. Insert stick, turn unit on, accept FW update, remove stick.

I never update my smartphone, my router, my tv, my computer BIOS, my NAS BIOS, my WDTV or any other flash capable device without knowing exactly how I can get back to whatever version I am at. I just ordered a new router online. I’ve already downloaded the manual, the software and every firmware version for this device and I won’t receive it for a week or so.