Firmware updating malfunctioning

I bought my WD HD TV Plus media player a week ago and worked fairly well. I decided to upgrade the firmware following the instructions in the website. However, the player gets into a never ending loop of “upgrading your system” and rebooting. If I take out the USB where only the new firmware resides, no additional stuff, the systems calls for inserting a USB to recover the firmware. I tried to roll back to the original firmware with no results, the very same process happended, a never ending reboot-upgrade-reboot.
Finally I tried resetting the player, but nothing happened.
Your support will be highly appreciated

I’m stuck in the same situation.  My WDTV Live Plus came with 1.03.29.  I put 1.04.17_B on a USB stick and it got stuck in the loop.  After awhile I yanked the USB stick out while it was rebooting and put 1.03.49_B Rollback on it.  Same issue.  I tried another USB stick with the rollback on it, same issue.  The first USB stick I used was my 2GB FAT32 formatted stick that I use to flash a computer’s BIOS.

I just got the unit 2 hours ago, and I really wanted to check it out.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am having the same issue, I was on the old firmware working great

went to update the firmware and not it keeps upgrading and rebooting.

What I can i do

Same problem here on my 4mo old unit. After contacting the support line and going through testing with them I was told to send the unit back. I received the new unit today and went through the process again of upgrading via a USB drive (from firmware v29B). Exactly the same thing happened again. At least it’s not just me.

I really don’t like the idea of paying shipping charges to keep replacing the unit. I was hoping they would have sent a new one already having the updated firmware. Of course it’s costing WD money as well. Maybe they will figure out what the problem is.

Until Western Digital figures out how to fix this problem you might want to go back to your old version of the firmware. It worked for me, although for some reason it thought a newer version was still available (I had no internet connection and I had deleted the newer firmware from my drive so I don’t know why it thought this).

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5800

Had the same issue with the endless firmware update loop.  Rolled back initially to 1.03.49_B using the manual USB drive process, didn’t fix it.  Rolled back to 1.02.29_B and it booted up successfully.  I don’t know if the original firmware was version 1.02.29_B, so not sure if this is the reason why it worked.

How do I roll back to the previous firmware on a WD TV Live HD Media Player or WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player?

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5800

Folks, you may try updating your firmware while connected via composite cable, not HDMI or component. The issue has been discussed several  times here.

I do remember a problem at one time about component outputs but I don’t see how that could have any relation to the looping problem. At any rate I am using HDMI. I just took a look at the New Release Firmware board. Many, many problems. Looping is one of them. I think WD has some work to do. At least I saw this forum before Customer Support asked me to send back another unit at my expense.

Well, one of the recommendations from WD is to do the firmware upgrading just with the USB stick containing the firmware files, nothing else connected, not even HDMI.

So I did, and didn´t work

Is there something I’m missing?

Thanks

GWolfP wrote:

Well, one of the recommendations from WD is to do the firmware upgrading just with the USB stick containing the firmware files, nothing else connected, not even HDMI.

So I did, and didn´t work

Is there something I’m missing?

Thanks

Without any connection to WD it would be a bit difficult to know what was going on and if the update had finished. Its best to use composite output when updating as the HDMI handshake could cause a problem.

I’m having the exact same problem.  I’ve only had the unit a few hours.  I’ve tried all the suggestions above and it just keeps updating.  I guess taking it back to BestBuy is my only option?

Download and install 1.03.29 rollback firmware and install it using your flash drive. It will stop the looping. I went through this problem too and I’m now working fine back at 1.03.29 waiting for the next WORKING firmware.