Few BUG Reports 01.04.10

Hi,

just a quick message about a few issues with the latest fw on my WDTV Live.

1. User Interface: How come we can see the previous and next icon when scrolling vertical only in the first row,

from the moment I go into Video or other sub-levels, there are only icons on top and when you scroll up or down.

In the video on the WD-product page, it shows next and previous icons on all levels. You can even see it in the screenshot:

and the video: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=735 (4th video on the Features tab)

I would personally like to have that back.

1. Flingo: When watching videos on Flingo with audio setting "Digital without HDMI audio" , there is no audio at all, I can even hear to digital-output kill itself when video starts to play, like when you turn the device off. (i can hear that because my surround-set has a little bit of humming noise when there is no sound but input is “active”.

Solution: Activate option “digital”, then there is audio on the TV but still nothing on the optical output.

1. Flingo: Just posted also by another person, it did hang for me also when trying to exit the app.

2. Thumbnails: I have been playing around with thumnail pictures for folders and came to the conclusion, that picstures about 72dpi are not loaded by the device as thumb. The pictures can still be displayed when opened in the folder. Current sollution is to convert all pictures to 72dpi if you want a folder.jpg for example.

3. Connection problem: Sometimes the device will not connect to the network, I still havent found out how to replicate the problem, but noticed it happens when the device is pulled from the AC. First time it automaticly boots back up and no nework, even manually it will display the error that it can not get an IP. Then I turn the device off by remote, start it back up, still nothing and after a 2nd time turning it off and on by remote, network-functions are back. I had this just a few times when doing these actions. I use wifi btw.

4. This is more a request as been asked a few times over the last year: More zoom so the movieframe fits the screen and NO overscan on HD-tv’s.

Hope this helps for a further firmware release.

Grtz

1. … Because the are only two icons to display. Having them on both top and bottom would mean there would be duplicate icons.

2. I think there is something wrong with your net. It shouldn’t be doing that.

3. So, EXACTLY how much zoom out is required for YOUR TV?

1. The possible reason that there are no bottom icons is that you only have two icons to select from, Media Server and network Shares. There used to be Live365 which made 3 and therefore there was always something in between. Add a USB flash drive which makes a Local drive icon and see if this problem still remains.

2. Flingo loads up a module within the Live and when you leave it has to unload or load up another module. I normally find that after approx 15 to 30 seconds the Live menu appears. It would be better if something was shown on the screen to give you some visual feedback.

3. I’m not quite sure what you are saying here. I have folder.jpg with different resolutions, some 96dpi and some 72dpi.

I dont have a network problem at all, I have more then 1 device on wifi permanently, router is even configged to give always the same ip to certain devices. It just doesnt want to get an IP after the actions i did. It was several times that it happend after pulling it from the AC and needed twice a reboot. Strange, but i know it will work after a few tries. and I dont care since i’m used to mess around in all my hardware. Even selecting my other wifi-band that is also setup in the wdtv, it will not connect, a simple reboot fixes it.

The icons, might be true, but even when there are 2, you only see one and magicaly, the other one pops-up when you scrol, because its hidden as 2nd (the network shares). That just looks weird…

The jpg problem, this is what my conclusion is, but it could also be because some were saved as progressive. I saved them again as 72dpi and non-progressive (was for testing) they did work. Got to much time on my hands to fool around, but i like to do that stuff.

To answer to the zoom-thingy.

Did you ever zoomed out and saw what is cut from the frame? If i were you, I would do it some time.

Example; the movie Blade Runner, in the beginning they are sitting on a chair from the Tyrell Corp., it has the name TYRELL on it and its fully in the frame , when played trough the WDTV, its cut off and you see YRELL., when you zoom out, 0.9x, the the whole name is visible, but then u have black borders on both sides, zooming back to 1x (what is NOT 1x, you see its cut off!  That is what frustrates me, those missing details! is about 2cm on every side that you miss!!! This should NOT happen on a HD-tv, overscan is CRT-history.

Since pictures say more then words, here are 2 shots from the left side of the frame.

1x Zoom:

0.9x Zoom:

Unfortunately, whatnyou say is incorrect. The WDTV is NOT overscanning. Your TV is. Unless your display supports 1:1 pixel mapping, you will have some overscan. My older LG HD and Panasonic HDs have overscan. My NEW LG HD has it UNLESS I enable what they call “just scan”

I’m no longer able to use PlayOn with my WD TV Live since installing this update.  PlayOn still works fine with my PS3, but I can no longer watch Hulu or any other PlayOn videos on my WD TV Live now.

Ok, it could be that the tv is doing overscan, but why then, when you zoom out, there is underscan? it should be perfectly possible to have 1 more zoomoption in between, or, like pc’s allow, callibrate the image vertical and horzontal so you can see the whole image from your pc on tv. a 16:9 image that shows a virtual fram and then with the arrows on the remote you stretch or squeeze the picture, till it fits…

you shld check on your tv if it has an overscan option to turn off…

my tv has a function called 16:9 overscan = ON/OFF…it came default set as ON so the image from WD TV Live was cropped slightly…turned overscan = off…i can see the arrowheads at the edge of the screen…

you can use this to check…

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/8577/1080pr.jpg

im missing half the red sides, tv has no option to turn of foverscan. **bleep**, even been looking for a firmware hack or so :smiley: Well, can only hope for a callibation option so the player can overcome overscan on every tv that doesnt allow it…