Feature: volume control

I used to want them to implement this, then I bought an amp with digital input and a remote, so problem solved. Theyre a lot cheaper than most people would think, I got a samsung 5.1 digital dvd amplifier and my sony bravia acts as the audio switch. A problem with the WD TV Live before was that it didn’t do HDMI passthrough of digital audio correctly, so you need to find a good firmware, but be warned some have other issues with them when it’s supported. But now I have my setup perfected with dolby digital on all 5.1 tracks and volume control. It’s awesome, i would never go back to the way i used to have it (RCA plugs, Logitech x530s). But also another problem you will run into is AAC decoding. Unless you want to spring for a $1000 amplifier that can decode the full bandwidth of AAC, it will always come out downmixed to stereo. You’ll need to track down a program called Popcorn Audio Converter or simply Matroska audio converter and familiarise yourself with demuxing audio because you can re-encode AAC to dolby digital in about 5mins. It’s really easy. You’ll also need MKVmerge to remux the video and audio back together, but its all pretty straight forward. I also used to want them to allow stretch source aspect ratio of the file but my sony supports this in its view mode settings, 4:3 videos you can just quickly change the zoom on the telly. All these little software tweaks you really only want cos you have a crappy amp+tv setup, but if you do yourself a favor and buy some new gear, you soon forget about those old issues.