Feature: volume control

I’m probably not the first person to suggest this feature, to control volume with the remote control. At first I thought it’s not possible due to firmware or programming limitation, but then I was surprised to see that feature on the WD TV Remote app on iPhone.

Why not include that feature in the next firmware update? You can use the navigation arrows to control volume.

Possibly because the remote arrows are already assigned to a specific function – subtitle adjustment.

All the arrows are assigned for subtitles? Haven’t tried so I’m not really sure.

Even so, there are many ways to implement it, they can make it an option in settings on what the arrow buttons do, leave the choice to the consumer.

Or, even include it as a sub-setting after “Skip to desired time” when playing a movie.

SenateX wrote:

I’m probably not the first person to suggest this feature

Exactly, that’s why there’s an ideas section. There’s a debate about whether it’s possible. I was under the impression that since the audio stream is digital it would have to be decoded and encoded again. Others insist that even with digital signals volume can be changed without decoding by multiplying the value with a certain factor. The fact that volume can be changed with the Android app suggests this to be correct.

SenateX wrote:

All the arrows are assigned for subtitles?

Yes, but unlike other players only for text subtitles like SRT, SSA/A SS. Up/down changes vertical sub position and left/right adjusts timing. Curiously enough right shows - 100ms but adds 100. They changed this for the SMP where you have to press option first and then adjust subtitle settings from the menu, where they somehow forgot to implement timings.

This might be my most noobish reply ever, but why is it a problem with adding the feature to the remote control and not to the iPhone app? Won’t they both esentially do the same thing?

A signal is sent to WD TV Live which would trigger the sound volume, but instead of using iPhone to trigger it, use the remote.

About the arrows, there is already a menu in WD TV Live where you can control what some of the buttons do, in my humble opinion, they should add arrows to it too, for us to choose whether we’d like the full subtitle options or replace two arrows to use for volume control.

Hi,

I’d like to add my voice to request this feature (volume control on the hard remote).

I understand the argument that the device is mainly used in conjuction with a tv, and a digital audio stream this is not the case for all users.

I currently use the composite video/audio output to an old monitor (pre-hdmi) and a hifi amplifier. The lack of a volume control means I have to walk over to the amp to change the volume, this is particularly tiresome when listening to a playlist on Spotify, where the tracks vary greatly and there is no equalisation/compression to level out the volume difference between old/new tracks.

The fact that this feature is present on the soft remote is inconsistant, and proves that it is possible with software.

I agree with the previous comment that assigning the up/down arrows would be a good way to implement this feature, if users desire to do so.

I wonder what is the official stand from WD regarding this feature, ever since I saw the volume control on iPhone I’ve been wonderingi if they’ll somehow include it in future firmware releases.

I used to want them to implement this, then I bought an amp with digital input and a remote, so problem solved. Theyre a lot cheaper than most people would think, I got a samsung 5.1 digital dvd amplifier and my sony bravia acts as the audio switch. A problem with the WD TV Live before was that it didn’t do HDMI passthrough of digital audio correctly, so you need to find a good firmware, but be warned some have other issues with them when it’s supported. But now I have my setup perfected with dolby digital on all 5.1 tracks and volume control. It’s awesome, i would never go back to the way i used to have it (RCA plugs, Logitech x530s). But also another problem you will run into is AAC decoding. Unless you want to spring for a $1000 amplifier that can decode the full bandwidth of AAC, it will always come out downmixed to stereo. You’ll need to track down a program called Popcorn Audio Converter or simply Matroska audio converter and familiarise yourself with demuxing audio because you can re-encode AAC to dolby digital in about 5mins. It’s really easy. You’ll also need MKVmerge to remux the video and audio back together, but its all pretty straight forward. I also used to want them to allow stretch source aspect ratio of the file but my sony supports this in its view mode settings, 4:3 videos you can just quickly change the zoom on the telly. All these little software tweaks you really only want cos you have a crappy amp+tv setup, but if you do yourself a favor and buy some new gear, you soon forget about those old issues.

I don’t have a crappy amp.

Bendolph I might have a solution for you…

I am also using an old amp without remote, this is what I did. Your tv should have a phones audio out. Connect your tv phones to the amp. The sound runs from the player through the HDMI cable into the tv and then to the amp, so now you can adjust the volume using the tv remote!

Cheers