DTS Master Audio via HDMI

Interestingly, DTS Master audio contained in M2TS (BD) files is output as standard DTS.  Seems odd that the player makes this choice and does not stream directly to my amp which can handle the format.  I have confirmed the files are DTS Master (using Nero’s player, the audio stream is recognised correctly).  Something for the next firmware release?

1 Like

DTS won’t give WD a  license for DTS-MA.

I think they said that no license exists for non-BDROM equipped players…

Although that doesn’t seem to be a problem for Xtreamer, Popcorn Hour or Netgear, who all have media streamers capable of both DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD bit streaming.

We’ve pointed this out to WD many times… they’re either not asking the right questions to DTS or someone at DTS hates WD!

I thought HDMI would pass-trhought the ausio stream in its original form allowing the receiver to do the decoding, but I was wrong.  They have probably made a deal with the DTS guys to prevent HD streaming it return for some or other licence.  If my PC can play it, so could WD.

Whether it’s POSSIBLE is one thing.   Whether it’s LEGAL is another.  ;)

True-hd passthrough with big success in the new firmware.I wish to a dts-ma support in new firmwares.

Why would DTS-HD passthrough require a license? The WD player isn’t doing anything to the audio, just passing it on to the AVR that would probably do a better job anyway.

68rustang wrote:

Why would DTS-HD passthrough require a license? The WD player isn’t doing anything to the audio, just passing it on to the AVR that would probably do a better job anyway.

That’s what WD tells us that DTS tells them, that a license is required.

So why dts dont give the license to wd?Why the other players support dts-ma and wd live not?

I think I’ve made the point before, but it is probably due to some sort of kick-back arrangement along the lined of ‘If WD does not stream DTS Master then DTS will licence WD at a reduced fee per unit’

I’m still pondering over how streaming is prevented, given there is no decoding taking place.  We can all hope that it may be a firmware issue that some enterprising individual will identify and fix.

Lets hope to implement the dts-ma ability to next firmware.

There is more to it. The Xtreamer has dts hd ma passthrough, but it does not work that well. I just checked their forums! It has to separate the data from the video file, then send it through the hdmi, I mean if it has a higher bit rate…

bumpity bump bump

68rustang wrote:

bumpity bump bump

Why?   What is it you’re waiting for?   No one here is going to magically make it happen, and WD doesn’t comment about future plans or negotiations with licensors.  

Just keeping it fresh in everyone’s mind in case someone new comes along that can make it happen :slight_smile: I can hope can’t I?