Customer response to WD Team

What irritates me more than the bugs in this release is the lack of response and apparent lack of concern by bill_s and the WD staff.  Their 2 posts in our Bug Summary thread are far from an adequate level of response.

All they had to do and still have time TO DO is post a sticky message stating:

1. This release contained a larger than normal number of unanticipated issues.

2. The WD staff is working to resolve these issues within the context and timeframe of their other priorities.

3. The WD staff appreciates the feedback from the community to help identify and resolve the bugs.

Customer satisfaction goes a long way. Especially for folks like me who own multiple WDTV Live devices and other WD products.

1 Like

I have to agree. I am a member of a lot of other forums and one thing that I notice here is that there is almost no participation by moderators or WD staff. I know that this is a basically a user to user site but this site would be so much better with more participation from moderators and WD staff.

While i cant comment on their behalf i can however comment on the fact that other companies with electronic devices dont even give a **bleep** about customer response, their reactive response is see the place you bought it, even worse "we’ll have someone call you back at their earliest convenience.’

At least WD are doing something consistantly to help by continually releasing updates.

Also hopefully a Beta will be out soon too

(just my $0.02)

My 2 cents…other consumer media companies offer products that work, and work reliably. Roku in point. One or 2 minor glitches, with quick fixes. Since I bought the WDTV live, I feel like I’m participating in a science project, not a “real” product. Of course it needs a forum, complete with a whole school bus load of “experimenters” with 2000, 3000, 4000 forum posts, and not a **bleep** peep out of WD.  Never again.

Warning I posted complaits like this in the past and it appears my account was disabled.

The thing that really gets me is the fact they are still allowing the latest firmware to be downloaded.

We are customers not beta testers. I plan to place a formal complaint with my company to have this product removed form the shelfs.

Isn’t the free market great?!  It allows us to not buy something if we choose not to.

Personally, I’m happy with the latest firmware.  There’s one minor bug that affects me, but then again, no product is perfect and I can live with it.  Remember: you bought the product in the first place.  WD didn’t have to add features, but they do.  I’m ecstatic that WD listens to its customers.

I believe a lot of it has to do with attitude.  Someone wrote about the Roku being near perfect (paraphrased).  I just read on a tech blog site where Roku just released a firmware update that includes “a suite of bug fixes”.

Buy it.  Don’t buy it.  The choice is yours.  Either way, I like the product.

You are 100% on the money!  Well said Nehptis, regardless of the bleeding hearts that respond otherwise.

One minor  bug, this I find hard to believe. oh wait! I do believe you. You must only use it for that one thing.

The thing is I really dont give a ■■■■ about any new features they have added over time. I bought WDTV Live only to play MKV files at 1080p without issues (as the box on the shelves displays) and I have encountered a lot of bugs: -HDMI bugs. -Playback bugs. -Sound bugs. -Video quality bugs. -Network bugs. But instead fixing the bugs, they keep adding features… filled with more bugs! At least the basic features printed on the box should work without a hitch! If I knew that WDTVLive had or will have more bugs over time, I would not have bought it. How come after 10 betas or more now my unit ALWAYS start at 720p when it should be 1080p? The only fix I encoutered was to set manually at 1080p or go back to 1.02.21 (but it has the MKV header bug…). WD should infuse with good will and energy and should fix all bugs reported as soon as posible and not add any more features (they are good, nice, but I really dont care).

1 Like

Hi All,

Like Goats, the only time I’ve heard from a moderator; is when they pulled my post.

They shouldn’t invite comments if they can’t handle them…

Why don’t they just close down the forum and be done with it…

ecciethetechie wrote:

Hi All,

Like Goats, the only time I’ve heard from a moderator; is when they pulled my post.

They shouldn’t invite comments if they can’t handle them…

Why don’t they just close down the forum and be done with it…

When you registered for this forum you were required to read and accept the terms of service and the community guidelines.  Your post was in violation of the community guidelines, so it was removed.  Nobody is singling you out, nor is anyone even upset with you.  As moderators, we are just doing our jobs.  We do invite comments, but they still have to stay within the community guidelines, or they will be edited or removed. 

1 Like

Nehptis wrote:

What irritates me more than the bugs in this release is the lack of response and apparent lack of concern by bill_s and the WD staff.  Their 2 posts in our Bug Summary thread are far from an adequate level of response.

All they had to do and still have time TO DO is post a sticky message stating:

1. This release contained a larger than normal number of unanticipated issues.
  1. The WD staff is working to resolve these issues within the context and timeframe of their other priorities.
  1. The WD staff appreciates the feedback from the community to help identify and resolve the bugs.

Customer satisfaction goes a long way. Especially for folks like me who own multiple WDTV Live devices and other WD products.

I don’t know how much more I could possibly add that I already haven’t.  I am a moderator, not an engineer.  I will speak on their behalf if and when they ask me to.  But if they don’t ask me, I’m usually busy doing my job.  If you want to know if there is any progress on these issues, you can always ask me and I will find out as much as I can, and then get back to you.  If you post a question to me, you might also want to private message me, so I don’t miss it. 

2 Likes

And there u did it… your PM-box will be flooded now  with “do you know when a new FW is comming out? If not, can you ask the devs?” :smiley:

I second this post. I just want it to work the way it was suppose to

I’m sure the team are working hard to get the next release of firmware to us, but it would be nice to get something like a weekly progress report

bill_s wrote:> If you want to know if there is any progress on these issues, you can always ask me and I will find out as much as I can, and then get back to you.  If you post a question to me, you might also want to private message me, so I don’t miss it. 

Am I glad to hear this!  I asked several months ago on multiple occasions that WD’s upper management be made aware of the level of frustration that their customers were experiencing both with the units and WD’s level of communicaton with their userbase.  Would you kindly find out what’s going on with those requests?  I have yet to hear anything one way or the other.

Failing that, would you be so kind as to make it official that it’s unrealistic of us to expect any sort of improvement in these areas?  It would save a great deal of frustration over the long term.

casm23 wrote:

Am I glad to hear this!  I asked several months ago on multiple occasions that WD’s upper management be made aware of the level of frustration that their customers were experiencing both with the units and WD’s level of communicaton with their userbase.  Would you kindly find out what’s going on with those requests?  I have yet to hear anything one way or the other.

Failing that, would you be so kind as to make it official that it’s unrealistic of us to expect any sort of improvement in these areas?  It would save a great deal of frustration over the long term.

They are well aware of the frustrations, and they are working on fixing what they can.   Btw, I went back seven months, and couldn’t find any messages from you.  To what are you referring concerning requests?  Was it something you posted?

casm23 wrote:

This post from 3 weeks ago? http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Memo-to-WD-this-is-how-to-communicate-with-your-users/m-p/83901#M15932

Or more likely the post two above that one.  :)

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Or more likely the post two above that one.  :)

:stuck_out_tongue: