Bugs in Firmware Version 1.04.10_V -- Summary only

I think Ibanez meant to do this:

• Digital Audio via HDMI, DTS and DD 5.1 does not work (possibly an EDID issue). 1.02.21 did not have this issue
  • Playon does not work
  • MKV files seems to stutter
  • Network shares issues (please specify in more detail)
  • User interface translation issues, especially into German
  • 12 bit color problems
  • 24 Hz problems, Menus slow, color banding
  • Fade in/out broken
  • Audio too loud and distorted
  • Box keeps starting at 720p (On mine that just the lowest compatability start splash screen, after boot it’s in correct mode)
  • foldersymbols in the middle of the thumbs (annoying!)
  • When playing DVD and hit pause, after resume, the info bar does not go away.
  • Screen Alignment problem on a 4:3 TV when using Flingo and facebook - the far left and right of the screen are cutoff.
  • Cant skip to the next/previous song in a Deezer playlist.
  • Flingo freezes when browsing channels
  • DVD Navigation - Progress bar does not hide after skipping chapters
  • Login Problems with mediafly - login, power off and then go back to media fly and select My Channels and you’ll get a no media in current folder message
  • Login Problems with Deezer- login, power off and then go back to deezer and select My music->playlists and you get a get a no media in current folder message
  • Menu navigation sometimes still slow, but after some time of watching movie it’s become faster.
  • It’s slow react on enter button (on 1.03.49 was faster) when moving in settings or watch movie, sometimes need push it twice. 
  • Animation of pics while menu navigations is strange, like garbage from another pictures while moving.
  • After starting play avi xvid file, push option button, option menu appear and icon of audiotracks have info: no audiochannel, but if i move menu < or > then it show correct audioinfo
  • While watching movie menu that appear after pushing option is not translated (wdtv is set to russian menu language)
  • File manager is broken. I try delete from usb hdd folder with 3 files inside, first problem, no highlight of action icons. When first 2 files was deleted, indication hangs. Only back batton allow go out from it.
  • Problems while audio channel switching, sometimes it switch on wrong channel but it show in menu right channel. Sometimes while switching sound out of sync.
  • On another forum peoples have problem: Start dvd watching from smb share via dvd menu - it’s slow. But if start dvd via play button without dvd menu all goes fine.
  • issues playing some avi files
  • freezing when using flingo
  • jerky playback on Tekzilla
  • slow responsiveness when using pause/play/ffw (flingo)
  • When displaying photos, the black level sent to the TV is much higher than it was in version 1.02.21. Pictures look washed out and over exposed.
  • Setting the display resolution to 1080p/24Hz/12 bit with any color space setting (RGB High, RGB Low, or YCbCr) causes distinctive banding on the blue menu background. This color banding disappears when switching to 1080p/60Hz /12 bit.
  • The HDMI output option for 1080p 23.976 Hz has been removed.
  • Display resolution defaults to 720p after AC power has been removed for a few hours.
  • Display resolution defaults to 720p 60Hz from 1080p 50Hz after device has been in standby mode for one day.
  • Fast forward (>4 times, or skip 10 minutes) on transport stream files results in playaback starting from the beginning.
  • Fast forward with some DivX videos results in playback starting from the beginning. Using USB HDD.
  • Vorbis audio has very annoying and frequent intermittent pops and clicks. I have videos (MKV: x264, vorbis) that previously played fine, but now the audio gets the previously mentioned pops and clicks noises throughout the video - it gets worse the longer you play the video.
  • Playback of a video has problems with AC3 audio. With starting it has “electronic” noise “click”/“scratch”. Also after resuming or continuing playback after pause. Didn’t happen with version 1.02.21.
  • Open Network Share isn’t available for WD TV Live. Worked before version 1.03.49_V and 1.04.10_V.
  • Screen Saver does not function when a Video file is paused.
  • subtitle setting never stays ON and after few hours (randomly) it goes back to OFF (default)
  • Network-performance droped compared to former firmware versions → result: stuttering playback of high bitrate videos on low bandwidth-networks (such as WLAN, DLAN)
  • Incorrect subtitle color palette for embedded sub/idx subtitles in mkv (external subtitle palettte is correct)
  • File manager is broken. I try delete from usb hdd folder with 3 files inside, first problem,
  • no highlight of action icons. When first 2 files was deleted, indication hangs.
  • Only back batton allow go out from it
  • In addition, when trying to move a file from one Hdd to another (USB1 to USB2) using Settings\File Management, the status indication also hangs on 100%, does not report the operation as successfully completed, and only the back button allows you to go out from it.

Let’s try and keep this format from descending back into chaos. Kraemer_sg had a great idea to post only summaries and to include all previous entries and I’d hate to see it fall apart again after we just got it back on track. Otherwise what keeps this thread from becoming just as problematic as the other firmware complaint thread that is very tedious to read?

Great idea, shame people aren’t reading before replying.

For those with short attention spans:

READ THROUGH THE LIST FIRST.  IF YOU HAVE A NEW ISSUE, COPY/PASTE THE ENTIRE LIST, ADDING YOUR NEW ISSUE AT THE BOTTOM.

• Digital Audio via HDMI, DTS and DD 5.1 does not work (possibly an EDID issue). 1.02.21 did not have this issue
  • Playon does not work
  • 12 bit color problems
  • Fade in/out broken
  • Box keeps starting at 720p (On mine that just the lowest compatability start splash screen, after boot it’s in correct mode)
  • Screen Alignment problem on a 4:3 TV when using Flingo and facebook - the far left and right of the screen are cutoff.
  • Login Problems with mediafly - login, power off and then go back to media fly and select My Channels and you’ll get a no media in current folder message
  • Login Problems with Deezer- login, power off and then go back to deezer and select My music->playlists and you get a get a no media in current folder message
  • Menu navigation sometimes still slow, but after some time of watching movie it’s become faster.
  • It’s slow react on enter button (on 1.03.49 was faster) when moving in settings or watch movie, sometimes need push it twice. 
  • Animation of pics while menu navigations is strange, like garbage from another pictures while moving.
  • After starting play avi xvid file, push option button, option menu appear and icon of audiotracks have info: no audiochannel, but if i move menu < or > then it show correct audioinfo
  • While watching movie menu that appear after pushing option is not translated (wdtv is set to russian menu language)
  • File manager is broken. I try delete from usb hdd folder with 3 files inside, first problem, no highlight of action icons. When first 2 files was deleted, indication hangs. Only back batton allow go out from it.
  • Problems while audio channel switching, sometimes it switch on wrong channel but it show in menu right channel. Sometimes while switching sound out of sync.
  • On another forum peoples have problem: Start dvd watching from smb share via dvd menu - it’s slow. But if start dvd via play button without dvd menu all goes fine.
  • When displaying photos, the black level sent to the TV is much higher than it was in version 1.02.21. Pictures look washed out and over exposed.
  • Setting the display resolution to 1080p/24Hz/12 bit with any color space setting (RGB High, RGB Low, or YCbCr) causes distinctive banding on the blue menu background. This color banding disappears when switching to 1080p/60Hz /12 bit.
  • Display resolution defaults to 720p after AC power has been removed for a few hours.
  • Display resolution defaults to 720p 60Hz from 1080p 50Hz after device has been in standby mode for one day.
  • Fast forward (>4 times, or skip 10 minutes) on transport stream files results in playaback starting from the beginning.
  • Fast forward with some DivX videos results in playback starting from the beginning. Using USB HDD.
  • Vorbis audio has very annoying and frequent intermittent pops and clicks. I have videos (MKV: x264, vorbis) that previously played fine, but now the audio gets the previously mentioned pops and clicks noises throughout the video - it gets worse the longer you play the video.
  • Playback of a video has problems with AC3 audio. With starting it has “electronic” noise “click”/“scratch”. Also after resuming or continuing playback after pause. Didn’t happen with version 1.02.21.
  • Open Network Share isn’t available for WD TV Live. Worked before version 1.03.49_V and 1.04.10_V.
  • subtitle setting never stays ON and after few hours (randomly) it goes back to OFF (default).
  • Network-performance droped compared to former firmware versions → result: stuttering playback of high bitrate videos on low bandwidth-networks (such as WLAN, DLAN)
  • Incorrect subtitle color palette for embedded sub/idx subtitles in mkv (external subtitle palettte is correct)
  • File manager is broken. I try delete from usb hdd folder with 3 files inside, first problem, no highlight of action icons. When first 2 files was deleted, indication hangs. Only back batton allow go out from it
  • [File Manager] In addition, when trying to move a file from one Hdd to another (USB1 to USB2) using Settings\File Management, the status indication also hangs on 100%, does not report the operation as successfully completed, and only the back button allows you to go out from it.
  • USB Keyboard controls are lagging; seems to wait until input is displayed (e.g. passwords) or current onscreen animation (e.g. moving from Video to Audio) finishes before accepting new input. 
  • Playon does not work
  • 12 bit color problems
  • Fade in/out broken
  • subtitle setting never stays ON and after few hours (randomly) it goes back to OFF (default).
  • File manager is broken. I try delete from usb hdd folder with 3 files inside, first problem, no highlight of action icons. When first 2 files was deleted, indication hangs. Only back batton allow go out from it
  • [File Manager] In addition, when trying to move a file from one Hdd to another (USB1 to USB2) using Settings\File Management, the status indication also hangs on 100%, does not report the operation as successfully completed, and only the back button allows you to go out from it.
  • USB Keyboard controls are lagging; seems to wait until input is displayed (e.g. passwords) or current onscreen animation (e.g. moving from Video to Audio) finishes before accepting new input.
    • HDMI RGB level setting is not remembered, maybe limited to HDMI-DVI cable connections. RGB level gets reset t to “RGB High” every time unit is powered on, resluting in black crush.
  • Playon does not work
  • 12 bit color problems
  • Fade in/out broken
    • HDMI RGB level setting is not remembered, maybe limited to HDMI-DVI cable connections. RGB level gets reset t to “RGB High” every time unit is powered on, resluting in black crush.
    • Sometimes audio not heard through TOSC however sent through HDMI. Audio setting "digital passthrough optical only’ selected. seems to be AC3 2.0 files
  • .VoB files are shuttering.
  • Facebook login problem. (No network connection message)
  • HDMI shifts to 720p.
  • Youtube browsing is extremely slow.
  • Player sometimes freezes when you exit Flingo.

• Playon does not work

• 12 bit color problems

• Fade in/out broken

• Sometimes audio not heard through TOSC however sent through HDMI. Audio setting "digital passthrough optical only’ selected. seems to be AC3 2.0 files
    • When Playing .M2TS files, first there is no sound for a certain time, then the picture freezes and the sound is beeing played. Than sound and pictures are synchronous.
    • Only US Layout for USB keyboard
    • .ISO Files are working, .VOB files are stuttering
    • Stuttering of files on the network (e.g. MKV) which worked properly before

Hi,

I am not sure, if one of your bug list matches what I am experiencing.  Some of the MP4 files, with the Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1) for the video, and the Codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a) for the audio is not working anymore.  I can see the video, but there is no sound.

This was working fine in the earlier firmware, 1.02.21.  This is only bug that I have noticed so far, since my upgrade.  Please do let me know, if this matches something known, or if this is new.

Thanks!

I was running one of the Beta builds - 1.03.35 and it was working well. I want to report the following bugs when navigating to Media Servers

Select Media Server from the main menu and I select my windows 7 DVR:

1. *wtv and *.dvr-ms files are both listed even though the box will not play *.wtv files - this bug was re-introduced as the previous build would hide the *wtv files in the shares as well

2. Playback via Media Server results in weird behavior - FF will sometimes lock up; other times the show will play audio and no video - just the spinning blue circle. Moving to home menu and audio is still playing and at some point unit will reboot.

3. Playing through share seems to be fine

Personally, i used to give WD and the benefit of the doubt, but this is by far the worst software release I have ever seen. Couple that with bugs that have plagued the unit since it launched and I think i will start returning these half backed products.

I wanted a simple media extender for my DVR - just stream my windows files - and the unit fails. Costco had them with a HDMI cable for less then $100 and I avoided getting another one. It is going to be another year or two before any of these guys figure out that software development is not an after thought.

• HDMI RGB level setting is not remembered, maybe limited to HDMI-DVI cable connections. RGB level gets reset t to “RGB High” every time unit is powered on, resluting in black crush.> I notice that when I unplug power and power on again the unit correctly restores the “RGB low” mode I had previously selected. But after the next stanby/on cycle via remote it’s back to RGB high again although I didn’t change a thing. Weird.> Also, the bug I reported with all previous beta releases is still there: player loses sound and video plays in slowmo eventually after using the player for an extended amount of time. MKV files with DTS tracks and usage of FF/RW seem to make it happen earlier. Need to unplug power.>

No discusssions. Lists only please. See post 1

The Chinese a s s subtiles still have problem and Wireless Networking not working. I use D-Link DWA-131 USB NIC.

This is a summary thread, do not discuss. Add found bugs in a matter of fact way by copying the list and adding to it. Thay way, the last message should always be the only one that new people and WD staff need to read. Feel free to sort, cluster, prioritise. Link to posts for more information or copy from other posts.

First post on this forum, copied last post (rolli-d’s) that was actually a list, as I understand it’s what should be done. Contribution on top in red + bugs from the list that bug me on top in yellow.

• Lost the ability to zoom when playing an .iso (since menus are available I think).

• Network shares issues (more often than not works, but sometimes freezes and I have to make a hard reboot -unplugging/plugging mains- the only option. And I’ve tried waiting 5+ minutes!)

• Playon does not work

• 12 bit color problems

• Fade in/out broken

• On another forum people have problem: Start dvd watching from smb share via dvd menu - it’s slow. But if start dvd via play button without dvd menu all goes fine.

• When Playing .M2TS files, first there is no sound for a certain time, then the picture freezes and the sound is beeing played. Than sound and pictures are synchronous.
  • Switching off TV also kills WD TV Live Audio output
  • Often no picture via HDMI when powering on the WD TV Live (not sure if this is identical to the RGB-bug below, but I did not alter the color settings at all and have HDMI set to auto = 1080p/60)
  • Lost the ability to zoom when playing an .iso (since menus are available I think).
  • Network shares issues (more often than not works, but sometimes freezes and I have to make a hard reboot -unplugging/plugging mains- the only option. And I’ve tried waiting 5+ minutes!)
  • Playon does not work
  • 12 bit color problems
  • Fade in/out broken
  • On another forum people have problem: Start dvd watching from smb share via dvd menu - it’s slow. But if start dvd via play button without dvd menu all goes fine.

Received positive feedback from Wd today, they see our list, find it helpful and said that suggestions will be tested and bugs will be fixed in the next upgrade.

I took this as motivation to consolidate and sort our list and to add a few comments:

Issues with possible solutions:

Issues with possibly known reasons:

• Switching off TV also kills WD TV Live Audio output (Is audio routed through TV?)

General

• Fade in/out broken

Foto

Audio

Video Playback

Network

HDMI Handshake issues:

• Often no picture via HDMI when powering on the WD TV Live (not sure if this is identical to the RGB-bug below, but I did not alter the color settings at all and have HDMI set to auto = 1080p/60)
  • Digital Audio via HDMI, DTS and DD 5.1 does not work (possibly an EDID issue). 1.02.21 did not have this issue (please WD, just send bitstream through HDMI and ignore EDID information)

User interface

Color issues

ISO/VOB/DVD issues

Other

• Playon does not work

File Manager

1 Like

Hi,

Does anyone know when we will be getting the Fixes for all these bugs…

Thanks,

Suresh

kraemer_sg wrote:

Issues with possibly known reasons:

• Switching off TV also kills WD TV Live Audio output (Is audio routed through TV?)

No, the audio is not routed through the TV! Proof: It worked just fine right up until the firmware update. (See separate discussion thread for this bug.)

Received positive feedback from Wd today, they see our list, find it helpful and said that suggestions will be tested and bugs will be fixed in the next upgrade.

I took this as motivation to consolidate and sort our list and to add a few comments:

Issues with possible solutions:

General

• Fade in/out broken

Foto

Audio

• Switching off TV also kills WD TV Live Audio output

Video Playback

Network

HDMI Handshake issues:

• Digital Audio via HDMI, DTS and DD 5.1 does not work (possibly an EDID issue). 1.02.21 did not have this issue (please WD, just send bitstream through HDMI and ignore EDID information)

User interface

Color issues

ISO/VOB/DVD issues

Other

• Playon does not work

File Manager

4 Likes

This is an excellent thread; the best I’ve seen in the last months in this forum.

Is there any survey function in the portal software, so one could use this list and offer the users to make votes to the specific items?

This would also give the WDC lab some help regarding priority of the issues.

Just for everyone to know, this thread has been definitely passed along, and is being looked at.  And the effort shown with this thread is thoroughly appreciated.  However, I don’t know who told the user above that we would “fix all the bugs,” but they didn’t have the right to say that.  Like I said, these issues are being looked into.  We are certainly sorry that certain things got broke, like MKV files and Playon, but we still need to see what happened before we can work on any fixes. 

We thank you for your patience while we look into this.

1 Like