Bugs in Firmware Version 1.04.10_V -- Summary only

kraemer_sg wrote:

These last posts are exactly the reason why I opened this thread!

PLEASE – No unnecessary discussion!

I understand why you started the thread, and I appreciate it, and I realize it’s been hard, at times to keep it on track.

But I don’t think pointing out that more information would be helpful is “unnecessary”… Simply adding “___ doesn’t work for me” to an existing list of other vague “not working” points seems to mostly be an effort in futility.

You’re free to disagree… and to even request these posts be deleted.  But I think the point still stands – unless they can work out _ WHY _ things aren’t working for some, a list of what isn’t working doesn’t seem overly helpful – especially when several of the things listed don’t appear to be reproducable bugs at all, but bad encodes or network issues or other non-firmware problems.   You even suggested that people add links to further information in the initial post, if they weren’t adding the information here.

I fully agree, but  a better way would be to use the list and qualify the issue here or in a new thread. Also a little list consolidation would help.> I also have the feeling that the list is quite full and a number of thing get repeated. So maybe we should post the last list once more and start adding links or text about the “bugs” rather than adding new ones.> BTW, I was referring to posts like the one here, which are unnecessary:> * * *

flux242 wrote:do you want to say that after 3 weeks after releasing this ■■■■■■■ firmware you haven’t event started to fix bugs???

Some bugs are obvious and should have been detected in BASIC tests (very basic QA), ie problems watching .vob files in TS_VIDEO folders, icons in the middle of the thumbnail, audio channel not being displayed when pressing options the first time…

While, as a customer, I would do all I can to help engineers, it is still their job to find the bugs, the causes and fix them. As a software engineer myself, I can’t simply let customers do my job and tell me the bugs and their causes, I have to do that myself.

I like the WDTV Live Plus product, unfortunately I am a bit disapointed by the quality of the software. Some very trivial bugs have been there since day 1 (ie in network shares, go to video and browse your folder and you will see folder.jpg files, it is obvious these are not video files, if they tried the feature only ONCE they would have seen this bug and it is freaking easy to fix, it should take 30 seconds to do…).

I am not even asking for new features, simply fix the bugs you have so that it is a quality product. I know they can do it, they seemed to have fixed the hard freeze when browsing with multiple thumbnails. I didn’t encounter it with the new firmware yet, it was really annoying, I had to unplug the power cable from the unit and plug it back in, it looked really bad when I was with friends and gave them a very negative opinion of the product. I can’t say I blame them, if I saw them having to unplug the power from a player (DVD, BD, media…) to get it working again, I would have the same opinion.

Wireless network using belkin USB addaptor does nor work. Gets stuck looking for DNS. Worked fine in previous versions. Tried in 5 boxes in different wifi networks.

I want to thank kraemer_sg and the other posters in this thread for helping to organize the list of issues that people are having. I hope that in the future, people will follow your lead.

This thread has been a valuable source of information and has helped the wd team focus on the issues that mean the most to our users.

I’ve come up with a suggestion for a slightly different format that would make it easier to prioritze issues, and lets users “vote” for problems that they are also having.

It goes something like this:

Category - Description of issue

[one X per user having the problem]

For example:

Network - My wireless network doesn’t connect when I’m 5 miles away
XXXXXXXXX

Feature request - it would be neat if the WDTV dispensed soft serve ice cream
X

Playback - WDTV won’t play my vinyl records
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

3 Likes

Very good suggestion!

Here you go!

Power off/on problems:

• Box does not remember the video resolution/frequency. When manually set (to anything other than ‘Auto’) the box should remember that video setting the next time it is turned on.

• Box does not remember the colorspace value. When manually set (to anything other than ‘Auto’) the box should remember that colorspace setting the next time it is turned on.

• Display resolution defaults to 720p after AC power has been removed for a few hours, Display resolution defaults to 720p 60Hz from 1080p 50Hz after device has been in standby mode for one day. (Please check whether it’s just the splash screen)

• Network Shares (s. http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/New-Firmware-​Release-Firmware-Version-1-04-10-V-for-WD-TV-Live… you might want to skip the facotry reset the first time round)

General

• Fade in/out broken
  • The HDMI output option for 1080p 23.976 Hz has been removed. X

Foto

• When displaying photos, the black level sent to the TV is much higher than it was in version 1.02.21. Pictures look washed out and over exposed.

Audio

• Audio too loud and distorted
  • Switching off TV also kills WD TV Live Audio output

Video Playback

• MKV files seems to stutter
  • After starting play avi xvid file, push option button, option menu appear and icon of audiotracks have info: no audiochannel, but if i move menu < or > then it show correct audioinfo
  • Problems while audio channel switching, sometimes it switch on wrong channel but it show in menu right channel. Sometimes while switching sound out of sync.
  • Fast forward (>4 times, or skip 10 minutes) on transport stream files results in playaback starting from the beginning.
  • Fast forward with some DivX videos results in playback starting from the beginning. Using USB HDD.
  • Vorbis audio has very annoying and frequent intermittent pops and clicks. I have videos (MKV: x264, vorbis) that previously played fine, but now the audio gets the previously mentioned pops and clicks noises throughout the video - it gets worse the longer you play the video.
  • Playback of a video has problems with AC3 audio. With starting it has “electronic” noise “click”/“scratch”. Also after resuming or continuing playback after pause. Didn’t happen with version 1.02.21.
  • Screen Saver does not function when a Video file is paused.
  • subtitle setting never stays ON and after few hours (randomly) it goes back to OFF (default).
  • Incorrect subtitle color palette for embedded sub/idx subtitles in mkv (external subtitle palettte is correct)

Network

• Network shares issues (more often than not works, but sometimes freezes and I have to make a hard reboot -unplugging/plugging mains- the only option. And I’ve tried waiting 5+ minutes!)
  • Open Network Share isn’t available for WD TV Live. Worked before version 1.03.49_V and 1.04.10_V.
  • Network-performance droped compared to former firmware versions → result: stuttering playback of high bitrate videos on low bandwidth-networks (such as WLAN, DLAN)
  • Stuttering of files on the network (e.g. MKV) which worked properly before

HDMI Handshake issues:

• Often no picture via HDMI when powering on the WD TV Live (not sure if this is identical to the RGB-bug below, but I did not alter the color settings at all and have HDMI set to auto = 1080p/60)
  • Digital Audio via HDMI, DTS and DD 5.1 does not work (possibly an EDID issue). 1.02.21 did not have this issue (please WD, just send bitstream through HDMI and ignore EDID information) X
  • Sometimes audio not heard through TOSC however sent through HDMI. Audio setting "digital passthrough optical only’ selected. seems to be AC3 2.0 files
  • When Playing .M2TS files, first there is no sound for a certain time, then the picture freezes and the sound is beeing played. Than sound and pictures are synchronous.

User interface

• User interface translation issues, especially into German X

Color issues

• Setting the display resolution to 1080p/24Hz/12 bit with any color space setting (RGB High, RGB Low, or YCbCr) causes distinctive banding on the blue menu background. This color banding disappears when switching to 1080p/60Hz /12 bit.
  • HDMI RGB level setting is not remembered, maybe limited to HDMI-DVI cable connections. RGB level gets reset t to “RGB High” every time unit is powered on, resluting in black crush.

ISO/VOB/DVD issues

• When playing DVD and hit pause, after resume, the info bar does not go away.
  • DVD Navigation - Progress bar does not hide after skipping chapters
  • Lost the ability to zoom when playing an .iso (since menus are available I think).
  • .ISO Files are working, .VOB files are stuttering

Other

• Playon does not work
  • Only US Layout for USB keyboard
  • USB Keyboard controls are lagging; seems to wait until input is displayed (e.g. passwords) or current onscreen animation (e.g. moving from Video to Audio) finishes before accepting new input.
  • foldersymbols in the middle of the thumbs (annoying!)
  • Screen Alignment problem on a 4:3 TV when using Flingo and facebook - the far left and right of the screen are cutoff.
  • Cant skip to the next/previous song in a Deezer playlist.
  • Login Problems with Deezer- login, power off and then go back to deezer and select My music->playlists and you get a get a no media in current folder message
  • Flingo freezes when browsing channels
  • slow responsiveness when using pause/play/ffw (flingo)
  • Login Problems with mediafly - login, power off and then go back to media fly and select My Channels and you’ll get a no media in current folder message
  • Menu navigation sometimes still slow, but after some time of watching movie it’s become faster.
  • It’s slow react on enter button (on 1.03.49 was faster) when moving in settings or watch movie, sometimes need push it twice.
  • Animation of pics while menu navigations is strange, like garbage from another pictures while moving.
  • While watching movie menu that appear after pushing option is not translated (wdtv is set to russian menu language)
  • jerky playback on Tekzilla

File Manager

• File manager is broken. I try delete from usb hdd folder with 3 files inside, first problem, no highlight of action icons. When first 2 files was deleted, indication hangs. Only back batton allow go out from it.
  • [File Manager] In addition, when trying to move a file from one Hdd to another (USB1 to USB2) using Settings\File Management, the status indication also hangs on 100%, does not report the operation as successfully completed, and only the back button allows you to go out from it.

Festure request:

• Add a new boolean variable in the configuration database, when bootup set to “True”, and only when poweroff the box, set the variable to “False”. In this way when the box poweron after power outage, the player return in standby mode becouse the boolean variable is set to “False”.

Power off/on problems:

• Box does not remember the video resolution/frequency. When manually set (to anything other than ‘Auto’) the box should remember that video setting the next time it is turned on. X

• Box does not remember the colorspace value. When manually set (to anything other than ‘Auto’) the box should remember that colorspace setting the next time it is turned on.

• Display resolution defaults to 720p after AC power has been removed for a few hours, Display resolution defaults to 720p 60Hz from 1080p 50Hz after device has been in standby mode for one day. (Please check whether it’s just the splash screen)

• Network Shares (s. http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/New-Firmware-​Release-Firmware-Version-1-04-10-V-for-WD-TV-Live… you might want to skip the facotry reset the first time round)

General

• Fade in/out broken

Foto

• When displaying photos, the black level sent to the TV is much higher than it was in version 1.02.21. Pictures look washed out and over exposed. X

Audio

Video Playback

• After starting play avi xvid file, push option button, option menu appear and icon of audiotracks have info: no audiochannel, but if i move menu < or > then it show correct audioinfo
  • Problems while audio channel switching, sometimes it switch on wrong channel but it show in menu right channel. Sometimes while switching sound out of sync.
  • Fast forward (>4 times, or skip 10 minutes) on transport stream files results in playaback starting from the beginning.
  • Fast forward with some DivX videos results in playback starting from the beginning. Using USB HDD.
  • Vorbis audio has very annoying and frequent intermittent pops and clicks. I have videos (MKV: x264, vorbis) that previously played fine, but now the audio gets the previously mentioned pops and clicks noises throughout the video - it gets worse the longer you play the video.
  • Playback of a video has problems with AC3 audio. With starting it has “electronic” noise “click”/“scratch”. Also after resuming or continuing playback after pause. Didn’t happen with version 1.02.21.
  • subtitle setting never stays ON and after few hours (randomly) it goes back to OFF (default).
  • Incorrect subtitle color palette for embedded sub/idx subtitles in mkv (external subtitle palettte is correct)

Network

• Network shares issues (more often than not works, but sometimes freezes and I have to make a hard reboot -unplugging/plugging mains- the only option. And I’ve tried waiting 5+ minutes!)
  • Open Network Share isn’t available for WD TV Live. Worked before version 1.03.49_V and 1.04.10_V.
  • Network-performance droped compared to former firmware versions → result: stuttering playback of high bitrate videos on low bandwidth-networks (such as WLAN, DLAN)

HDMI Handshake issues:

• Often no picture via HDMI when powering on the WD TV Live (not sure if this is identical to the RGB-bug below, but I did not alter the color settings at all and have HDMI set to auto = 1080p/60)
  • Digital Audio via HDMI, DTS and DD 5.1 does not work (possibly an EDID issue). 1.02.21 did not have this issue (please WD, just send bitstream through HDMI and ignore EDID information) X
  • Sometimes audio not heard through TOSC however sent through HDMI. Audio setting "digital passthrough optical only’ selected. seems to be AC3 2.0 files
  • When Playing .M2TS files, first there is no sound for a certain time, then the picture freezes and the sound is beeing played. Than sound and pictures are synchronous.

User interface

Color issues

• Setting the display resolution to 1080p/24Hz/12 bit with any color space setting (RGB High, RGB Low, or YCbCr) causes distinctive banding on the blue menu background. This color banding disappears when switching to 1080p/60Hz /12 bit.
  • HDMI RGB level setting is not remembered, maybe limited to HDMI-DVI cable connections. RGB level gets reset t to “RGB High” every time unit is powered on, resluting in black crush.

ISO/VOB/DVD issues

• When playing DVD and hit pause, after resume, the info bar does not go away. X
  • DVD Navigation - Progress bar does not hide after skipping chapters. X
  • Lost the ability to zoom when playing an .iso (since menus are available I think).

Other

• Playon does not work
  • USB Keyboard controls are lagging; seems to wait until input is displayed (e.g. passwords) or current onscreen animation (e.g. moving from Video to Audio) finishes before accepting new input.
  • Screen Alignment problem on a 4:3 TV when using Flingo and facebook - the far left and right of the screen are cutoff.
  • Login Problems with Deezer- login, power off and then go back to deezer and select My music->playlists and you get a get a no media in current folder message
  • Login Problems with mediafly - login, power off and then go back to media fly and select My Channels and you’ll get a no media in current folder message
  • Menu navigation sometimes still slow, but after some time of watching movie it’s become faster.
  • It’s slow react on enter button (on 1.03.49 was faster) when moving in settings or watch movie, sometimes need push it twice.
  • Animation of pics while menu navigations is strange, like garbage from another pictures while moving.
  • While watching movie menu that appear after pushing option is not translated (wdtv is set to russian menu language)

File Manager

• File manager is broken. I try delete from usb hdd folder with 3 files inside, first problem, no highlight of action icons. When first 2 files was deleted, indication hangs. Only back batton allow go out from it.
  • [File Manager] In addition, when trying to move a file from one Hdd to another (USB1 to USB2) using Settings\File Management, the status indication also hangs on 100%, does not report the operation as successfully completed, and only the back button allows you to go out from it.

Festure request:

• Add a new boolean variable in the configuration database, when bootup set to “True”, and only when poweroff the box, set the variable to “False”. In this way when the box poweron after power outage, the player return in standby mode becouse the boolean variable is set to “False”.

The problem with the new layout is that we don’t know what has been added.

richUK wrote:

I guess I don’t see the problem.  If you experience a bug that’s not listed, add it.  If it’s there already, add an X to it.

onewoodguy wrote:

richUK wrote:

I guess I don’t see the problem.  If you experience a bug that’s not listed, add it.  If it’s there already, add an X to it.

While we are at it what about a way to indicate that you are defintitely not experiencing the described problem.

Raphael_C wrote:

I want to thank kraemer_sg and the other posters in this thread for helping to organize the list of issues that people are having. I hope that in the future, people will follow your lead.

This thread has been a valuable source of information and has helped the wd team focus on the issues that mean the most to our users.

I’ve come up with a suggestion for a slightly different format that would make it easier to prioritze issues, and lets users “vote” for problems that they are also having.

It goes something like this:

Category - Description of issue

[one X per user having the problem]

For example:

Network - My wireless network doesn’t connect when I’m 5 miles away
XXXXXXXXX

Feature request - it would be neat if the WDTV dispensed soft serve ice cream
X

Playback - WDTV won’t play my vinyl records
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

I like the idea of being able to track the frequency of occurences of bugs - I think, as you put it, it will help you see which areas need to be focused on.  Your suggestion is a pretty good way to track things with no changes to the system.

This is probably much more work on WDs part than it’s worth and could also be a Pandora’s box, but what about having a ‘Bug Lab’, very similar to the Ideas Lab, where users could list and expaing bugs they experience, others could ‘vote’ on a particular bug (only once) indicating they’ve experienced the same problem and there’s even a way to give details of your bug experience if it’s slightly different than the original bug author via comments on that particular bug.

Just a thought.

parnott100 wrote:

onewoodguy wrote:

richUK wrote:

While we are at it what about a way to indicate that you are definitely not experiencing the described problem.

I hate to suggest using 'O’s for fear of the list looking like a bunch of hugs and kisses. :wink:

parnott100 wrote:

While we are at it what about a way to indicate that you are defintitely not experiencing the described problem.

But, but, but… that would imply that the listed “bugs” aren’t really firmware bugs, but that the problem lies elsewhere. :wink:

Exactly the point.:stuck_out_tongue:

onewoodguy wrote:

richUK wrote:

I am not adding, I am reading it. It used to be that the new problem was added on and now its divided into headings I can’t see whats new without comparing it to the last post.

Newest bug.  Live365 Preset radio station broke in newest firmware.  Works fine on previous firmware.

Power off/on problems:

• Box does not remember the video resolution/frequency. When manually set (to anything other than ‘Auto’) the box should remember that video setting the next time it is turned on. X

General

• Fade in/out broken

Foto

• When displaying photos, the black level sent to the TV is much higher than it was in version 1.02.21. Pictures look washed out and over exposed. X

Audio

Video Playback

Network

HDMI Handshake issues:

User interface

Color issues

ISO/VOB/DVD issues

• When playing DVD and hit pause, after resume, the info bar does not go away. X
  • DVD Navigation - Progress bar does not hide after skipping chapters. X

Other

• Playon does not work
  • Live365 Preset radio stations broke.  This data is kept on Live365 servers, worked on previous firmware.

File Manager

Festure request:

richUK wrote:

I am not adding, I am reading it. It used to be that the new problem was added on and now its divided into headings I can’t see what’s new without comparing it to the last post.

My apologies.  I understand now.

The only thing I can think of would be for anyone adding something new to the list to italicize, make bold and change the color to green whatever they added.  Of course you have to have a starting point, so I propose we start with the latest posting of the list before my post here.

The downside is that that relies on everyone following that protocol.  That’s the best I can come up with using this format.  Like you said, this format has it’s limitations.

Adding my Xs. Also,  under Power off/on problems, I split ‘Display resolution defaults to 720p’ into 2 parts (because I had the first problem, but not the one that was in the 2nd sentence).

Power off/on problems:

• Box does not remember the video resolution/frequency. When manually set (to anything other than ‘Auto’) the box should remember that video setting the next time it is turned on. XX

• Box does not remember the colorspace value. When manually set (to anything other than ‘Auto’) the box should remember that colorspace setting the next time it is turned on. XX

• Display resolution defaults to 720p after AC power has been removed for a few hours. X

• Display resolution defaults to 720p 60Hz from 1080p 50Hz after device has been in standby mode for one day. (Please check whether it’s just the splash screen)

General

• Fade in/out broken

Foto

Audio

Video Playback

Network

• Network-performance droped compared to former firmware versions → result: stuttering playback of high bitrate videos on low bandwidth-networks (such as WLAN, DLAN). X

HDMI Handshake issues:

• Often no picture via HDMI when powering on the WD TV Live (not sure if this is identical to the RGB-bug below, but I did not alter the color settings at all and have HDMI set to auto = 1080p/60). X

User interface

Color issues

ISO/VOB/DVD issues

• When playing DVD and hit pause, after resume, the info bar does not go away. XX
  • DVD Navigation - Progress bar does not hide after skipping chapters. XX
  • .ISO Files are working, .VOB files are stuttering. X

Other

• Playon does not work
  • Live365 Preset radio stations broke.  This data is kept on Live365 servers, worked on previous firmware.

File Manager

Festure request:

I am not sure where to place this but mine seems to be a problem that others aren’t having.  I am getting a reset from 1080p/24 to 1080i/60  after watching some .mkv files.  This happens without a full restart of the machine. 

After the firmware upgrade, my WD live plays mp4 movie but no sound. Even with optical input.

Downgraded to  “wdtvlive_1_2_21_V_Rollback” and sound works again.

I downloaded the firmware rollback from " http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5800"

Connections:

HDMI for both video and audio

Onkyo receiver