Audio playback issues

Just bought the box and very much suprised by absence of some basic audio player features.

• It doesn’t play the next folder automaticly… What’s the point to have a player which stops after playing a CD just like an usual CD player?

• In Media Library mode - random play on all files hangs the system and next files ,although showing up, do not actually play. It is also impossible to abrupt the operation while it’s happening.

• It is not possible to play a folder containing multiple other folders.

Some dissapointment on those matters.

Hope it’ll be fixed in next upgrade.

Thanks

2 Likes

What’s the point to have a player which stops after playing a CD just like an usual CD player?

I’ve been asking myself this question considering that several DVD standalones have the same stupid bug.

proaudio wrote:

• It doesn’t play the next folder automaticly… What’s the point to have a player which stops after playing a CD just like an usual CD player?

• It is not possible to play a folder containing multiple other folders.

be fixed in next upgrade.

I totally agree. WD-Team, please eliminate these issues.

If this feature is important to you this is the wrong place to post – please post in the Ideas lab (tab above) after first checking to make sure it isn’t already posted (if it is, add your vote to it).

I purchased the TV Live for music playback primarily, I have a high proportion of Audio Sets and Dark side of the Moon type sequences with no gap between the tracks. More and more music is being produced this way.

HOW CAN ANY BODY MARKET A MUSIC PLAYER THAT DOESN’T PLAY MUSIC THE WAY IT WAS RECORDED. SURELY THAT’S THE NATURE OF DIGITAL REPRODUCTION ISN’T IT ??

Taking mine back and replacing it with something a little more modern, as WD technical don’t seem interested in resolving this major issue!

1 Like

Well, there IS a reason it’s called the WD TV – video playback is first and foremost the function of the player.

Personally I’d never use such a media server for music playback – iTunes is so far superior in every way that a simple Apple Airtunes express unit is the way to go for such things.  I think you’ll be far happier with such a solution (and the best of luck to you).

A system that requires me to have a PC on instead of simply a device connected to my amp to be used with a remote is in no way superior. Granted, since the Live is called TV I did not expect it to excel at audio playback (convenience).

Oh it’s FAR superior – that PC (or NAS or whatever) can perform things a hardware only solution can never do (for one thing, Smart playlists can do things you can’t even imagine in terms of delivering music to you).  If you ever tried iit you wouldn’t want anything else.

But since the poster was looking for other solutions I was just trying to give him some (unlike you, who just want’s to complain about everything).

mkelley wrote:

Well, there IS a reason it’s called the WD TV – video playback is first and foremost the function of the player.

Personally I’d never use such a media server for music playback – iTunes is so far superior in every way that a simple Apple Airtunes express unit is the way to go for such things.  I think you’ll be far happier with such a solution (and the best of luck to you).

Not very opinionated are you?! It always seems like what YOU are using is the BEST!

With the WDTV there are many ‘workarounds’. (You have to work around all the flaws, or undocumented features).

With that being said, once you figure it all out, it actually works pretty well.

I am running the WDLXTV firmware. I have 2TB of local storage via USB (all movies, library mode). Mostly MKV and VOB files with a few AVI thrown in.

I also run Wild Media Server for my music and TV Series (another 2TB via network) as this way, I can keep the TV Series sorted out of my Movies listings. I also have MUCH more control of my music using the server… (and my album art actually shows-up).

Once you add in the ‘sheets’ (backgrounds, etc), that the custom firmware allows, you actually have a very nice setup that is very appealing to the eye. I only see the WDTV UI when I choose either Local or Server, once chosen, it enters the UI that I created.

If you need a ‘Smart Playlist’ generator to pick your music, then you might as well turn on the radio. 

My 2 cents…

But if you LIKE the Live in this way you’re missing the point – the poster with the problem didn’t (and returned his) and was looking for alternatives.  Is that too hard for you to understand?

mkelley wrote:

But if you LIKE the Live in this way you’re missing the point – the poster with the problem didn’t (and returned his) and was looking for alternatives.  Is that too hard for you to understand?

Not hard to understand at all…

I offered several options (other than trade it in for an Apple product, and “good luck” (don’t let the door hit you in the **bleep**)…

After all, I’m not the “ex-genius”…

mkelley wrote:> unlike you, who just want’s to complain about everything.

Yeah right, genius! What I want is for WD to finally fix that bugs that are still there since day one and take justified complaints from their customers seriously.

Oh, and no one else wants that?

You’re such an ■■■■■ – when someone comes here looking for alternatives to the Live (and others are trying to help them) all you can think of doing is taking the opportunity to complain.  Let’s face it – you’re Debby Downer.  Sometimes you have to understand it’s not always about you.

This board is an effort BY users FOR users – if you want to complain go somewhere else.  If you want to help, then help.  It’s really that simple (oh, but I forget – your whole life is about complaining, which is why you apparently run some site about it.  Sorry to interrupt your mojo – get back to complaining about something.  Hey – you can complain about this post! )

Techflaws wrote:

Yeah right, genius! What I want is for WD to finally fix that bugs that are still there since day one and take justified complaints from their customers seriously.

I thought we’d long ago established that the only truly active member of WD staff is Bill, who monitors all forums single-handedly.

He does not read every thread, evidence of which can easily be found when he does reply and has unfortunately missed the gist of the conversation.  He does the best he can but if you think he’s hanging on your every word and reporting back to WD headquarters, you’re sadly mistaken.

The only people listening to your rants are other users, some who may be sharing your frustration and others who might be more optimistic and finding good use for their product (I’m in the latter camp; the WDTVLive plays all my media fine).

If you want to contact WD, write them a letter.  Screaming like a child for attention on this forum serves no purpose other than annoying the actual adults who are trying to discuss issues and find solutions.

I loved your blog btw.  Buying cheap media players and then expressing outrage at their limitations?  Genius.  :)

mkelley wrote:

You’re such an ■■■■■

That’s rich coming from you of all people :wink:

mkelley wrote:

you can complain about this post!

Or how about I simply ignore you cause I just don’t give a **bleep**.

PixelPower wrote

Buying cheap media players and then expressing outrage at their limitations?

Right, so just because they are “cheap” the manufacturer does not have to deliver on advertised features. They just gotta love customers like you.

Oh GOODIE – I’ve just ignored all of TechFlaws posts!  (Joining, apparently, a long line of folks – thanks, people, for all your support).

(Yahooo – TF, it’s been bad to know you :>)

Buney wrote:

I purchased the TV Live for music playback primarily, I have a high proportion of Audio Sets and Dark side of the Moon type sequences with no gap between the tracks. More and more music is being produced this way.

HOW CAN ANY BODY MARKET A MUSIC PLAYER THAT DOESN’T PLAY MUSIC THE WAY IT WAS RECORDED. SURELY THAT’S THE NATURE OF DIGITAL REPRODUCTION ISN’T IT ??

It isn’t the way it was recorded, you just said it was split up into tracks. There are spaces between tracks. Don’t like that - then join it to one long track.

Techflaws wrote:

But what you want is irrelevant to the rest of us. Nobody from WD tech is reading it here, its only annoying other posters.

mkelley wrote:

Oh GOODIE – I’ve just ignored all of TechFlaws posts!  (Joining, apparently, a long line of folks – thanks, people, for all your support).

(Yahooo – TF, it’s been bad to know you :>)

Well alrighty then, and there we have it… the ‘ex-genius’ has spoken.

648+ postes in 5 months… get a life dude… and to quote… good luck!

JD out

Oh, cool – ANOTHER one I can ignore (life keeps getting better and better :>)