Accidently cross flashed Live Plus with Plus firmware

Will try today, but from what I’ve read so far the b-rad firmware won’t allow cross flashing either

I’m dubious about this whole business, anway, but you can try this.

Do the .VER trick, and rename all the PLUS’s files back to WDTVLIVE.xinstead of WDTVLIVE2.x  

I tried that already, apparently there are checks in the .bin or .fff files

Right…  Same checks go both ways, which is why I’m scratching my head how you could have done that in the first place!  

I want to try to reproduce this.

Exactly WHAT version of firmware was on the Live+ when you started?

Exactly WHAT version of _V software did you flash it with?

I think I had really low firmware version on my Live Plus - just received a refurb version. And flashed  straight to the WDTV_Live_1.03.49_V

shunja wrote:

I think I had really low firmware version on my Live Plus - just received a refurb version. And flashed  straight to the WDTV_Live_1.03.49_V

Are you sure that you have a live plus, does it have netflix.

I doubt it does now!  :dizzy_face:

It says WD TV Live Plus on the actual unit

shunja wrote:

It says WD TV Live Plus on the actual unit

But did it have netflix? and what does it say on the ‘about’ menu. Go to settings - system settings - about. Does it say WDTV Live plus and what is the part number quoted? Some people have reported that they received an incorrect unit when they purchased the unit. It may be that you have a Live with a live plus label on. This may be even more likely given that you have a refurbished unit.

But did it have netflix? and what does it say on the ‘about’ menu. Go to settings - system settings - about. Does it say WDTV Live plus and what is the part number quoted? Some people have reported that they received an incorrect unit when they purchased the unit. It may be that you have a Live with a live plus label on. This may be even more likely given that you have a refurbished unit.

I never had chance to check if it had Netflix because I immediately reflashed after receiving in mail. I did however checked firmware # and it was suspicious because it was not 1_03_29_B for sure, but something lower, also it did not say “Live Plus” for sure. And lastly, I recall I tried one of the _B firmwares first and obviously tried the _V after the _B did not work out.  I’d never  suspect mislabeling, but now it explains everything. I will check serial # later today

If it was LOWER than 1.03.29, then it wasn’t a PLUS. 

That’s the FIRST SW released for the Plus.

In the menu About:

WD TV Live HD Media Player

P/N WDAAN0000NBK

S/N WNV202504095

The sticker on the unit says:

WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player

P/N WDBABX0000NBK

S/N WNV202504095

If the sticker is correct, what I’d assume as the serial number is identical, then you have a Live-Plus.

Now let us know how you manage to get the correct firmware installed!

But why are the P/Ns different?

Cocovanna

The P/N is just in the firmware.   It’s not being read off a PROM like the S/N is.

Presumably you ordered this from WD Somehow?   You might try calling tech support and see if you can RMA it.

shunja wrote:

In the menu About:

WD TV Live HD Media Player

P/N WDAAN0000NBK

S/N WNV202504095

The sticker on the unit says:

WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player

P/N WDBABX0000NBK

S/N WNV202504095

I think that in the about menu you have 

P/N WDBAAN0000NBK

which would mean that you have a WDTV Live and not a plus.

http://support.wdc.com/product/kb.asp?wdc_lang=en&fid=wdsfWDTV_Live

The sticker is correct for a WDTV Live Plus

http://support.wdc.com/product/kb.asp?wdc_lang=en&fid=wdsfWDTV_Live_Plus

I don’t understand how the serial numbers match but perhaps it was a mistake at the factory. I would tend to believe the about menu more than the sticker and therefore I believe that you actually have a WDTV Live and not a Live plus.

I can’t see how the firmware would know the model number and serial number.

As Tony says get in touch with WD and see what they say.

The P/N is just in the firmware.   It’s not being read off a PROM like the S/N is.

Presumably you ordered this from WD Somehow?   You might try calling tech support and see if you can RMA it.

Yes, I oredered 2 refurbs Live Plus from WD store under $50 a piece. The second one is a legitimate Live Plus. I’ll contact WD to see what they say, but if it is too much hassle to return/replace I’d just keep as a Live. Missing Netflix is not that much of a deal to me comparing to inability of all WD HD media players to downmix  to stereo certain digital audio tracks 

I would still shoot to replace it.  This may prohibit the device from being to take any further updates.

1 Like

I have a WD TV Live Plus. I’ve had it for some time now and have enjoyed it. I was pleased when an update enabled more internet media.

Last night I finally had some time to kill so I said yes to an update, to my surprise, It rebooted and asked for another udate to which I agreed. After rebooting again, I rushed to see what was changed and found Netflix gone as well as other features. I spent the rest of the night “killing time” looking, reading and when I discovered this post, found my box had the “V” version sent from WD. I never looked, I don’t know if it was the first update or the second, but WD sent “V” to my box. I tried all night, but all it will do is recognize “V” rollbacks. I’ve tried putting the “v” .ver file with “B” .bins and on and on. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Terry

I spoke with the WD rep and he confirmed that this is sort of mislabeling thing.  They had few players messed up  when they just started making the Pluses. They will replace the unit for me. The case is solved