exFAT support

by on ‎08-09-2012 03:33 AM

Could we have exFat support for the WD TV Live Streaming device please? This is a better compromise format for removable media than NTFS (too much overhead), Fat32 (can't handle >4Gb files) and HFS (overhead and Mac only unless you've got something like MacDrive).

exFAT has the combination of better file system than older FAT-based formats and doesn't have the slowness of NTFS when used on Flash drives - when 64GB flash drives are cheap the limitations of old formats become obvious. I also find it better as a Mac user - Mac OS X can both read/write/create exFAT partitions whereas it can only read NTFS without additional software. I prefer not to use HFS on removable media because then they can only be read by other Macs. Cheers :-)

Comments
by on ‎08-31-2012 06:45 PM

Please support exFAT.  It is a must for people with both MAC and Windows systems.

by on ‎09-28-2012 09:45 AM

Us folks who use Android devices + usb otg cables can't use NTFS either... I add my voice to the calls for exFat!

by on ‎10-22-2012 03:52 PM

Support of ExFAT must be pretty hard for WD.  Usually they are up to date and support both MAC and Windows systems.

by ‎12-10-2012 04:43 AM - edited ‎12-10-2012 05:13 AM

Me too... but Microsoft has not released the exFAT specification to the public domain, and charges a substantial licensing fee for manufacturers like WD to install & support exFAT on their devices. I don't know how many WDTV live devices are sold, but it would need to be many to justify the cost of sending Microsoft tens of thousand of bucks for the license. I understand the open-source community is attempting to reverse engineer exFAT but there is no free or open-source solution yet.

by on ‎02-13-2013 11:22 AM
by on ‎04-28-2013 12:22 AM

I will also be interested in an ExFat support...

I can't use my Key with the WD TV. :smileysad:

by Moderator on ‎09-30-2013 01:26 PM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

by on ‎02-09-2014 07:34 AM

Since I only have my WD TV live a month I would assume it has the latest firmware and exFat files from a flash/pen drive are not recognized, my neighbor has a Roku and claims it will play exFat files, so Im not clear on the accuracy about the licensing statement, or my neighbor is fibbing.

moviethief

by on ‎05-19-2014 02:59 AM

I have Mac and windows computers, please support exFat, I have to move file from external exFat hard disk to usb drive every time! :smileyfrustrated:

by on ‎08-26-2014 04:06 PM

I've got a WDTV live. I just bought a WD my passport ultra 2TB. Because my wife uses a MAC and I have a PC, I decided to format the hard drive with exFat. Little did I know that at this age, WD have not included exFat support for the WDTV Live. I am so frustrated right now because I had done the formatting and copied all my movies into the drive before realising exFat is not supported..

Please please please WD. Pls add support for exFat so that people like us with multi-vendor OS (MAC & WIndows) in the home can have the liberty to share storage in peace. Let me add one more voice in calling for this to happen. 

Announcements
Please click on News and Announcements for the latest announcements.

For a list of our Idea Exchanges, please click here.

Idea Statuses explained here.
Labels
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD