exFAT support

by on ‎08-09-2012 03:33 AM

Could we have exFat support for the WD TV Live Streaming device please? This is a better compromise format for removable media than NTFS (too much overhead), Fat32 (can't handle >4Gb files) and HFS (overhead and Mac only unless you've got something like MacDrive).

exFAT has the combination of better file system than older FAT-based formats and doesn't have the slowness of NTFS when used on Flash drives - when 64GB flash drives are cheap the limitations of old formats become obvious. I also find it better as a Mac user - Mac OS X can both read/write/create exFAT partitions whereas it can only read NTFS without additional software. I prefer not to use HFS on removable media because then they can only be read by other Macs. Cheers :-)

Comments
by on ‎08-31-2012 06:45 PM

Please support exFAT.  It is a must for people with both MAC and Windows systems.

by on ‎09-28-2012 09:45 AM

Us folks who use Android devices + usb otg cables can't use NTFS either... I add my voice to the calls for exFat!

by on ‎10-22-2012 03:52 PM

Support of ExFAT must be pretty hard for WD.  Usually they are up to date and support both MAC and Windows systems.

by ‎12-10-2012 04:43 AM - edited ‎12-10-2012 05:13 AM

Me too... but Microsoft has not released the exFAT specification to the public domain, and charges a substantial licensing fee for manufacturers like WD to install & support exFAT on their devices. I don't know how many WDTV live devices are sold, but it would need to be many to justify the cost of sending Microsoft tens of thousand of bucks for the license. I understand the open-source community is attempting to reverse engineer exFAT but there is no free or open-source solution yet.

by on ‎02-13-2013 11:22 AM
by on ‎04-28-2013 12:22 AM

I will also be interested in an ExFat support...

I can't use my Key with the WD TV. :smileysad:

by Moderator on ‎09-30-2013 01:26 PM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

by on ‎02-09-2014 07:34 AM

Since I only have my WD TV live a month I would assume it has the latest firmware and exFat files from a flash/pen drive are not recognized, my neighbor has a Roku and claims it will play exFat files, so Im not clear on the accuracy about the licensing statement, or my neighbor is fibbing.

moviethief

by on ‎05-19-2014 02:59 AM

I have Mac and windows computers, please support exFat, I have to move file from external exFat hard disk to usb drive every time! :smileyfrustrated:

Announcements
Please click on News and Announcements for the latest announcements.

For a list of our Idea Exchanges, please click here.

Idea Statuses explained here.
Labels
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD