Stream PC desktop to WD TV Live (Mirror PC screen)

by on ‎09-27-2012 02:00 PM

It will be great if we can stream PC screen to WD TV live. This way you can play anything on your TV via WD TV live using your PC.

Since DLNA is designed only for media sharing it seems impossible to stream desktop at first look. However,I have seen many posts on the internet about streaming PC desktop to a DLNA competible device. They basically capture PC screen and stream as a video to their TV. This doesnt work real time ofcourse since your screen is transcoded to a video. On the other hand, I will still be happy if there is a delay in the order of seconds. Since I will only click play from my PC and then enjoy the rest in front of my TV. I think this idea is used by Philips wifi media connect and it works with 2-5 seconds lag.

A similar software can also be developped by WD to make us extreamly happy. This will also prevent users asking for a web browser. (I can imagine that WD does not want to include a web browser since it requires flash and many other plugins, which can be a challange to keep up.)

Comments
by on ‎10-07-2012 12:31 PM

All I can say is this is a MUST. It shouldn't be that hard since there is already a lot of Airplay devices and SW Servers + Players. So why not use something like it? Its something I have been waiting on for Ever... I hate to admit it I'm close to become an Apple Customer but reluctantly....

by on ‎10-12-2012 01:51 AM

THIS IS A MUST !!!

PLEASE PROVIDE AIRPLAY SUPPORT AT THE EARLIEST !

Or invent a proprietary technology to mimic something like airplay, in case its patented.

But without this feature, you will soon loose ground, as most of the ppl will switch to apple TV.

Its flawless in many features and airplay is USP!

by on ‎03-17-2013 10:31 AM

I think it would be nice to simply include VLC and allow its full functionality.

by Moderator on ‎09-30-2013 12:47 PM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Announcements
Please click on News and Announcements for the latest announcements.

For a list of our Idea Exchanges, please click here.

Idea Statuses explained here.
Labels
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD