DTS-MA

by on ‎10-07-2011 11:27 AM

Please Please Please can you add DTS-MA passthrough to your new WDTV Live device/s, this would be an awesome feature for people who have decent amps so they can enjoy loseless audio.

Evidently things changed.

Comments
by on ‎10-10-2011 08:04 AM

It's true, only a few BDAudio ISOs get DTSHD MA pass-through to the receiver. I detected this only on the latest firmware (1.03.10), the first firmwares didn't have this enabled.

The Live gen1 only pass DTS core for all BDA ISOs I have.

I will check later the BDA ISOs that work.

by on ‎10-11-2011 08:48 AM

With this ISO's (BDA - bluray disc audio), DTSHD-MA passes-through to the receiver:

carly simon BDA
deadwing BDA
gaucho BDA
insurgentes BDA
knopfler sailing BDA
shangrila BDA
lightbuld BDA
NY Harvest BDA
steely BDA
reveal BDA

I detected a pattern, DTSHD-MA only works with ISO's that have bluray menu (all the other ISO's I have without bluray menu, do not work).

by on ‎10-18-2011 12:11 PM

Heh, like Tony I'm sure WD will shoot this down but it gets my vote.

The licensing issue is a total farce.  Every other media streamer has this feature.

WD need to "accidentally" enable this in a future update and simply never mention it in the official docs..

by on ‎10-19-2011 01:24 AM
One of the things I've heardis that DTS will only licence this to amps and Blu-ray Disc players, and that some of these other products are Blu-ray Disc players, or at least can havbe a Blu-ray Disc module added. So, why not make the WDTV Blu-ray compatible over USB. Now that might sound difficult, or next to impossible, but that doesn't matter. It wouldn't need to be advertised or promoted as such. If WD say it can play Blu-rays over is BD-Rom USB drive that should be good enopugh. Just a thought. Steve W
by on ‎12-03-2011 09:00 AM
There is no excuse for not having the abailty to pass thru DTS-HD MA. Most other media streamers can do it. I can understand not decoding the audio but pass thru is not an issue. Add the feature!!!!
by on ‎12-12-2011 08:06 AM

My old media streamer, Seagate FreeAgent Theater+, had a nice option in the audio settings which was HDMI audio could be set to RAW pass-through. I agree with the post above by schj98 that I could understand if the WDTV SMP was doing the decoding then there is an issue but, if someone already has an AV receiver capable of decoding DTS-MA  why not allow an option in the settings to pass-through the audio in RAW format and let the AV receiver handle decoding???

by Staff on ‎03-05-2012 12:13 AM
Status changed to: Unplanned
Unfortunately, this is still prohibited by the DTS licensing group.
by ‎03-08-2012 12:41 PM - edited ‎03-08-2012 12:44 PM

That is entirely unacceptable.

WD:  every single other company designing media players around these same Sigma chipsets allows DTS-MA pass-through, at the very, very least.  Some decode.  I know for a fact that many of these manufacturers do NOT have DTS licenses for Blu-Ray players.  I worked with two of them on their sales and marketing campaigns in Europe.

Get it worked out.  The WDTV community has been asking for this for four years!  Why do you ignore the community's requests?

At the very least, allow pass-through to our DTS-MA decoding AVRs.  That requires NO LICENSING, per the DTS Group's contractual stipulations that I've seen.

by on ‎04-09-2012 01:36 PM

Hi WD.

I have been a long time user and advocate of your media player products.  However, if the next gen box does not support DTS-HD audio I will not be purchasing it or recommending it to others regardless of it's other features or price.

If it's a licencing issue like you say then get the licence and charge more for the unit. Price wouldn't matter to me if it has full functionality.

Just letting you know that you have potential to loose your loyal users by not implementing industry standard functionality that other companies have no issue with...

by on ‎04-30-2012 03:28 AM

jchen, would you care to comment on why other manufacturers get their players to output DTS-MA but yours doesn't?

If is, to say the least, massively frustrating when you say "...this is still prohibited by the DTS licensing group," but then other manufacturers don't appear to feel it's prohibited.

And unless we've all missed something, they're not all having legal action taken against them by DTS.

And we don't know why there's this apparent difference.

Steve W

Announcements
Please click on News and Announcements for the latest announcements.

For a list of our Idea Exchanges, please click here.

Idea Statuses explained here.
Labels
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD