Avoid device booting when it gets power

by on ‎11-04-2011 03:56 PM
If the player gets power after being disconnected it unfortunately boots up automatically. That's annoying as most of the time this is not needed or intended. To save power i use a master and slave power plug. But due to its booting behaviour, it's always on and wasting energy. It should boot only if i press the power button on remote control.
Comments
by on ‎11-17-2011 06:25 AM

A possible solution to this is to remember 'last known state'.  If the WDTV was off, then when power is applied it remains off.  If the WDTV was on at the time power was removed, it powers up full.

by on ‎11-17-2011 09:02 AM

Sorry, but this is not correct. I always switched it off completely (long press power button), before power line was cut. And it fully boots up once power is back.

by ‎11-21-2011 03:35 AM - edited ‎11-21-2011 03:41 AM

Fully agree with this idea...!

Please WD changes default device behavior and keep it "off" (or in "standby" = white light off) after electrical power on.

In my case, this is a real "pain" as I use one Logitech Harmony 900 remote = it keeps "in mind" what is or need to be turned off / on based on activities.

By default, WD TV Live Streaming should be off when not used...

So, everytime I power off / on my WD TV Live Streaming (over night), I first need to manually put it in standby in order to have it in the "state" the Harmony Remote is expecting it to be.

If not done, when activity using my WD TV Live-S is starting, Harmony remote sends a "turn on" instruction which in fact turn off / standby the device... :smileymad:

= manual action required, which is in total opposition to the purpose of such universal remote.

My current (bad and lazy) solution = keeps WD TV Live-S always ON... :smileysad:

by on ‎12-05-2011 06:29 AM

fully agree

by on ‎12-27-2011 08:33 PM

AGREE

by on ‎02-06-2012 03:22 PM
yes I find this extremely annoying
by Staff on ‎03-05-2012 03:28 AM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

by on ‎03-23-2012 01:36 PM
yeah +1 too
by on ‎07-15-2012 01:04 PM

This really needs some attention. The hot summer is causing a lot of rolling blackouts and I am constantly having my SMP boot up at least twice a week. It's totally senseless to have it power on without anyone using it and wasting electricity. Please put some priority on this WD.

by on ‎03-04-2013 07:38 AM

I agree!

Announcements
Please click on News and Announcements for the latest announcements.

For a list of our Idea Exchanges, please click here.

Idea Statuses explained here.
Labels
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD