Allow modding!!!

by on ‎12-15-2011 08:27 AM

You really should allow modified content just like the other two have, people love the ability to show off there new tech even more so if they can modify it a little and make it ultra cool! As it stands your Hub version and the WDLiveTv gen 1/2 are the only ones that allow this if i had known that when i was ordering 3 gen 3's i would of got the earlier models!

Themes are good, but custom movie sheets and less firmware limitation is better why is some the old stuff ALWAYS better thanthen new stuff!!?!

Due to digital rights issues.
Comments
by on ‎12-28-2011 08:41 AM

Couldn't agree more.

by on ‎01-04-2012 03:37 AM

i couldn't agree more as well!!!

likely your success with the other wd tv live has been the feature of change things, install plugins, and being able to customize the firmware (in some ways). Maybe the last one i don't support too much, because i prefer the original firmware... but a lot of people love to make up their wdtv!!!

for example in my country (spain) we have a lot of tv channels that put their tv series and shows in the internet! and we can't see them in our wdtv... we can't do all the stuff we would like to do with it, and with the older player it's able... i don't understand!

so pleeeeasee!!! let us install our own made plugins!!!

by on ‎01-08-2012 04:35 PM

This is a good idea!!!!

i want to see more info about my movies...

resolution, soundtrack etc

Backdrops

Folders

movie info!!!

by on ‎01-12-2012 08:15 AM

Come on WD! Just give us the opportunity to add plugins to your firmware. That's all!

Thanks in advance!

by on ‎01-15-2012 11:30 PM

Just bought a WDTV Live Streaming yesterday and was sorely disappointed to find out that modding is no longer allowed.

Will most likely return the unit in the next couple of days.

Will happily repurchase if WD decide to allow modding again.

by on ‎01-18-2012 08:17 AM

I think the WD team is doing a great job and the implementation really is a marvel; however, it really is what it is because it stands on the back of previous open source innovations. 

I think allowing modding would result in features such as a browser, better networking control, cloud network shares, 3D support maybe and more.

If the plan is to firm up the current firmware offering before opening it up, it's a pretty good plan. 

by on ‎02-06-2012 12:02 PM

PLease custom Movie Sheets now !

by on ‎02-21-2012 03:10 AM
Yes, please. Allowing plugins or modding would be great, but wouldn't mind waiting for those if you can add other UK channels on-demand players - ITV, Ch4, Ch5, any others?
by on ‎03-08-2012 12:51 PM

To restrict the firmware through encryption makes no logical sense, and it violates the GPL.

If you point to the DTS Group's licensing limitations as a reason for not allowing DTS-MA simple pass-through (not DECODE, but PASS-THROUGH), then you should also respect the GPL and decrypt the Live Streaming and Live Hub firmware for customization.

The encryption of the firmware is NOT required for licensing the content from any of your streaming partners.  Only their specific keys/routines must be encrypted.

Don't give us the run-around.  You respect some licenses but not others.  Completely unacceptable.  I need the extra moviesheets, newsgroups, IRC, torrent, HDD content encryption, and web browsing functions of the custom firmware.

by on ‎04-02-2012 08:02 PM

+1 please allow modding.

Announcements
Please click on News and Announcements for the latest announcements.

For a list of our Idea Exchanges, please click here.

Idea Statuses explained here.
Labels
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD