Allow 5Ghz band to work and/or allow external 802.11 USB Adapters to work

by on ‎01-04-2012 10:44 PM

I still can't believe that the 3rd generation WDTV HD Live doesn't work on 5Ghz band.    Most of the dual-band routers have DLNA *only* on 5Ghz band.

And why have youi disabled allowing EXTERNAL USB-based adapters?   Allow us to make our own choices, please.

The HW cannot support 5GHz band.
Comments
by on ‎01-10-2012 08:53 AM

I Agree!! My 2.4Ghz is already saturated unlike the 5Ghz band. I used to use a 5Ghz adapter for the 2nd gen WDTV Live and worked perfectly without any hiccup. Now I'm having problem streaming this 3rd gen on its 2.4Ghz. This still has bandwidth problems even if I try using this on the 2.4 band without any other device connected to the network. Please give us 5Ghz access by letting us use our dual band adapters! Thanks!

by on ‎01-18-2012 08:33 AM

It woudl be nice to support external USB adapters to help futureproof the device.  The built in capability only supports 120 wireless nx1 (am i wrong about this,) wherease the latest generation of routers is up to nx3.

by on ‎02-02-2012 12:22 AM

+1.

5GHz is really preferrable for HD media streaming. We purchased 2-band routers exactly to stream media on a 5GHz band while your newest media player cannot use it! Please fix it somehow.

by on ‎02-02-2012 05:42 AM

I agree!  5GHz for streaming HD video is best choise.

by on ‎02-24-2012 04:28 AM

Yes please, allow 5GHZ band. If it is not possible with current hardware at least offer the option to use an external USB adapter.

Streaming into 5GHZ works much better. I have my TV connected to 5GHZ and can reproduce anything via DLNA including 40000 kb bitrate MKV videos meanwhile WD TV cannot reproduce anything with more than 10000 kb bitrate and sometimes has problems with less bitrate videos.

Thanks!

by Staff on ‎03-05-2012 04:29 AM
Status changed to: Unplanned
The HW cannot support 5GHz band.
Announcements
Please click on News and Announcements for the latest announcements.

For a list of our Idea Exchanges, please click here.

Idea Statuses explained here.
Labels
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD