ABC iView - Australian Broadcasting Corporation catch-up TV service

by on ‎03-03-2012 01:01 AM

We, in Australia, REALLY need ABC iView on the WD TV!

The idea has been posted before, for the older WD TV players, but please, get this happening for 'live streaming' media player.

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/

Comments
by on ‎03-21-2012 07:10 PM

+1

by on ‎03-22-2012 03:06 PM

yes, and why not SBS player while they're at it.

Given that the community has manage to come up with numerous 'downloaders' it should be well within the capacity of WD to give official support.

I wonder if we can also campaign ABC & SBS to support from their end; surely it would reduce the nuumber of 'downloaders' loading up their system.

by on ‎03-22-2012 03:40 PM

Can we expect to have ABC iView on our WD TV players at all, if not, why.

Daveart

by on ‎03-27-2012 04:31 AM

agreed

by on ‎04-03-2012 04:21 PM

A great idea for Australian WD Live SMP users!

by on ‎04-10-2012 07:50 AM
Support here too, ABC iView and SBS Player support asap please... :-)
by on ‎08-22-2013 07:12 PM

Hey! I want ABC's iview too! I guess folks below the equator finally got this on their WD TV Live boxes. A friend of mine who is a producer at ABC told me about iview but when I go to the services menu on my US WD TV Live I don't see iview.

So I guess the software exists but nobody at WD thinks that the US market is interested in Australian TV? Is there a way to get this on my WD TV Live or do I have to get her to mail me and Australian one?

Bill

by on ‎08-22-2013 08:41 PM

There is a ABC "channel" (app) for the (US) Roku.  I have it on mine.

Yet another reason to have both a WD player and  Roku!  A WD for your own media; Roku for all the streaming stuff.  Works for me!

by Community VIP on ‎08-22-2013 09:10 PM

@Navion

See if you can stream from ABC iView's website (to see if they geoblock U.S.)

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/

by ‎08-22-2013 10:03 PM - edited ‎08-22-2013 10:28 PM

Joey, your link worked on my PC, but not the iPad.  I was in abc.net.au in iPad Safari browser and clicked on iView tab there.  It told me to download the app.  So, I went into App Store on Pad and could not find it (it's not in US store.) Went back to abc.net.au and clicked on the icon to get it in the app store.  Was taken to AU app store..  Found the FREE app, and got a message saying I could not "buy" it there I had to buy it from US (Gads, it is a free app!).  Anyway, could not get it; I was in an endless loop.

BUT WAIT, THAT'S NOT ALL.....  I was TRAPPED in the Australian app store and could not get back to US store!!!   Rebooting iPad did not help. Meanwhile, my wife suggests I sign out, of store.  Finally found that at bottom of app store main page.  Signed out.  When I signed back in to my account, I was told I was being signed back in to US app store.  Did not argue with that at all.  WHEW!

Thanks for the little trip to OZ, Joey.  :smileylol:

OK, now that I am back in the USA, I checked out Joey's link on the PC.  Yep, I am on the web page alright, but can't watch a thing.  Notice says it's only for people living in Australia.  Boo.  Even if I go to the main ABC page, any video link takes one to iView to watch it.  Outta luck.

Well, this is just one more reason to sign up for a VPN service that let's one appear to the Internet that they are in any country they want to be in so they can watch these darn videos from US or where ever they are.

One service that looks interesting to me is "Unblock us".  It got good reviews, seems easy enough, and costs around $5/month.

Announcements
Please click on News and Announcements for the latest announcements.

For a list of our Idea Exchanges, please click here.

Idea Statuses explained here.
Labels
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD