It's sad to see ,how WD ignore nowaday WD TV HD GEN 1!

lomax25fr wrote:

no new firmware since 11/09!! and still so many things to improve!

see my post about green screen on some 1080 mkv ,and many files incompatibility, some slow playback even on video not huge quality, sound sync ,etc etc

i’m very disapointed to see ,that WD ignore product which are not that old!

i don’t want to change my stuff aleady ,and customers deserve to be care even there is new products on market!

it will not cost you a lot , to take a bit time to work on it a little for a new firmware with REAL improvement (files compatibility etc).

i can’t imagine buying a new WD HD live or something ,if  i know in 2 years ,this product will be ignore again.

hoping to see soon , that WD care customers new and older ones.

JB

The Gen1 has been End of LIfed. There will be no new firmware. In my mind, it’s not so much an issue of improving the firmware as much as it is fixing all of the bugs. Some say you got what you bought and shouldn’t expect features you didn’t pay for (such as when buying a car) but there’s a whole lot that WD sold that they didn’t deliver.

What was I sold you ask? I was sold a product that was more versatile than any other product on the market. It would support so many different file types and codecs. Better than any other device because it takes all the guesswork out of filetypes and codecs so you just don’t have to deal with it. And, best of all, it’s firmware is upgradeable so bugs can be fixed and new features can be added (I remember reading about this actually). Well, I think it’s fair to say that this isn’t really what we got. They say that they can’t fix certain things (mp4 audio/sync issue) but there are a whole slew of bugs that could be fixed but aren’t. What really bothers me is that WD propagates these bugs from one device to the next. I figured that would come to a stop eventually but reading reviews for the WDTV Live Hub, and I quote AnandTech’s con list: “Many bugs existing in previous generation products still left unfixed”. WD, THIS IS NOT A SUSTAINABLE BUSINESS MODEL!!!

As far as the cost associated with fixing the problems…Actually, it’ll cost WD more to not fix them. They’ve done more damage to their brand than they realize. I know many people that won’t buy WD anymore… you can find lots of posts on this forum by people who have sworn off WD for their lack of support when it comes to these products, myself included. While I’d like to come back to WD, they’ve given me no reason to. I’m looking for a reason, but their products are just a repackaging of the same ■■■■ and they’re support is not getting better.

1 Like