What I'd like in the next FW-update

Hello to all, I’m a new user of this community and was a little surprised that there wasn’t a thread like this. Hopefully it can be of benefit for other users as a thread we can express our wishes and for WD to see what we’d like.

First of all, let me say I’m very pleased with the WD TV HD and all I want is to see it perfected even more. These are the changes I’d like in the 1.04 FW.

1. As of now, it’s not possible for songs to seamlessly go from track to track, you always get a gap of silence for a few seconds. On many albums this is ok, but a lot of albums are edited to “flow into each other” in lack of a better term (English isn’t my native lang.) Anyone who’s listened to Pink Floyd or classical will know what I mean. CD-Players often have an “Auto-Space” or similarly named function, but here we have no option to turn off the Auto-Space. Hope this is not a HW-problem and that it can be fixed or made an option.

2. For the very few of us that uses High Bitrate FLACs, i.e. from DVD-Audio, there seems to be a problem when you get to the highest resolutions, can this be fixed?

3. Is it possible to have a folder with pictures that can be used as a screensaver, much like you can in Windows?

4. This one probably cannot be fixed but I can hope, DTS on WD TV HD? :smiley:

5. Better thumbnail-support. I use Winamp to attach a thumbnail to a song or an album, but as of now the player rarely accept it. Maybe I’m doing something wrong but a wider acceptance of thumbnails would be appreciated.

Thanks and best regards

WB

I am sorry to have to rain on your expectations and your naivety as a new member, but I really wouldn’t hold your breath if I were you!

As you may have noticed, WD’s last firmware update was on 3rd December 2009, which followed one on the 18th November 2009. I think it’s somewhat apparent that WD give less than a **bleep** about their customers interests and it would appear that they have now just given up on the product despite it’s mediocre state. What do they care when they’re just making money off of an unknowing public who think they’re purchasing a supported product? It’s coming up to four months since their last firmware update and my suspicions are that they just can’t be bothered to make the very necessary improvements (there are more and more products being introduced with far superior software/firmware)

I am sorry, but your requests/recommendations are hardly worth the time it took you to type them. As you’ll discover from this very “community”… Western Digital aren’t listening! (no matter what the font size!)

Thanks for the reply Diatribal.

But you see Kimberlin from support promised me she would look into this, so she’s going to share my thoughts and this thread to the developers and even whip them to work, aren’t you Kimberlin? :wink:

Whalebiter wrote:

1. Better thumbnail-support. I use Winamp to attach a thumbnail to a song or an album, but as of now the player rarely accept it. Maybe I’m doing something wrong but a wider acceptance of thumbnails would be appreciated.

For MP3s?  I have no problems to embed thumbnails in MP3 files using mp3tag and then display on WDTV (gen1).  I sometimes use winamp to download the cover art but I don’t use it to tag - (winamp will download the cover art into “folder.jpg” file).  Try mp3tag.

By the way, like the previous poster I also hate to be negative but I doubt if WD have any plans for updated firmware for the gen1 now that there is the gen2.

i have decided never to purchase a product from WD, and also tells my friends that how bad the company is! i bought my wdtv last year and hopped all this time that WD will issue a release to fix subtitles and other features. But now to hell with it. i have never seen such a bad support where they dont even listen to you and reply you back.

there r much better products in the market, and i would say to all mu friends and whoever reading this forum to think twice before buying any product from WD.

this is a low budget company who dosnt want to spend in after support and consumer satisfaction. No wonder An american company!!!

Mr_Lazy wrote:

For MP3s?  I have no problems to embed thumbnails in MP3 files using mp3tag and then display on WDTV (gen1).  I sometimes use winamp to download the cover art but I don’t use it to tag - (winamp will download the cover art into “folder.jpg” file).  Try mp3tag.

By the way, like the previous poster I also hate to be negative but I doubt if WD have any plans for updated firmware for the gen1 now that there is the gen2.

Thanks for the tip, I will try mp3tag. I was however talking about FLAC as I don’t much care for mp3 but probably mp3tag will work better there as well.

But doesn’t Gen 1 & 2 share much of the architecture? If so, they may have some sort of unified soft/firmware?

Whalebiter wrote:

Thanks for the tip, I will try mp3tag. I was however talking about FLAC as I don’t much care for mp3 but probably mp3tag will work better there as well.

mp3tag works with FLAC files as well and the WDTV will display the embedded cover art.

Whalebiter wrote:

But doesn’t Gen 1 & 2 share much of the architecture? If so, they may have some sort of unified soft/firmware?

No