Important Notice Regarding Single USB Drives Greater than 2 TB's and WD TV Products

At this time, the WD TV product line does not support the use of single USB drives larger than 2 TB.  Doing so may cause corruption to the data, or damage to the partition.  Our dual and network drives larger than 2 TB’s can continue to be used with the WD TV products. WD is currently working on a remedy to this situation, and will notify our customers when it becomes available.

For further information, please refer to Knowledge Base Answer ID 5875.

2 Likes

Bill,

Thanks for the communication. It’s always appreciated.

Don’t get your hopes up, this is a crosspost to all forums… If  you base things on previous support for the Gen2 when

an update is released it probably will not apply to the Gen2.

Bill, how about addressing some of the other issues regarding Sync issues and MKV header compession.Are you simply worried that WDTV users will not purchase WD 3GB drives ?

I didn’t see that it’s a crosspost to all forums but it’s still communication none the less. I see one of two things happening here… 1) EOL the Gen2 which is the pansy way out and would be in line with everything else WD has done or 2) issue new firmware for the Gen2, even if this is the only thing they fix. If they do issue new firmware, I’d hope that they don’t break something else.

Whether the devices are EOL’d or not (which I haven’t heard that they were), I’m just letting you know.  The point of this is to protect your data.

It would have been nice put this very material limitation in the specs, on the box, or otherwise notify the public of this limitation BEFORE WE BOUGHT THIS POS.     I can no longer return mine to the store, will HP be accepting returns based upon this previously undisclosed limitation??"

1 Like

The limitation was only recently discovered on the Live / Live + / Live Hub.

Drives greater than 2TB  didn’t exist when your "POS"was created.   Do you expect them to write “We don’t know what’s coming in the future, but it won’t be supported!”  on the box???

Sparty40 wrote:

It would have been nice put this very material limitation in the specs, on the box, or otherwise notify the public of this limitation BEFORE WE BOUGHT THIS POS.     I can no longer return mine to the store, will HP be accepting returns based upon this previously undisclosed limitation??"

Just so we’re clear, Western Digital is the company that makes this “POS”. Hewlett Packard doesn’t make it and I really don’t think they sell it either. Now…that doesn’t approach the moral and ethical subject of providing a fix for something you’ve created that destroys people’s data. That’s something different altogether. As an engineer, I’d be ashamed of myself if I were to not provide a fix if I were to find myself in a similar situation.

nijaju wrote:

Sparty40 wrote:

Just so we’re clear, Western Digital is the company that makes this “POS”. Hewlett Packard doesn’t make it and I really don’t think they sell it either. Now…that doesn’t approach the moral and ethical subject of providing a fix for something you’ve created that destroys people’s data. That’s something different altogether. As an engineer, I’d be ashamed of myself if I were to not provide a fix if I were to find myself in a similar situation.

We are working on fixing this.  Whether it can be done is another story.

1 Like

Thank you.

It said “4k” drives, what about 512 formated drives?