Firmware for WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 2)

I received my unit yesterday from Amazon.com and it says it has Release 1.01.79 on it.

I look online and the only version available is Release 1.01.77.

Why does my unit have newer firmware than is available online?

1.01.79 supports the EuP MCU (the chip that turns the device all the way off to comply with EuP regulations). It has no other changes from 1.01.77, so it would be pointless to release it.

Guy_K wrote:

1.01.79 supports the EuP MCU (the chip that turns the device all the way off to comply with EuP regulations). It has no other changes from 1.01.77, so it would be pointless to release it.

And the question is:  Are you guys going to release a new firmware for the gen 2 sonner or later?, because there are so many things to fix, that I am sure you have noticed in this community

guilleya wrote:

Guy_K wrote:

And the question is:  Are you guys going to release a new firmware for the gen 2 sonner or later?, because there are so many things to fix, that I am sure you have noticed in this community

I don’t know. The firmware roadmap changes so often that I really can’t say either way. I’m sorry I can’t give you a better answer.

If you have read my posts regarding Gen2 you’ll know i’m not impresed with certain changes to the way it operates.

However, to rub salt in the wound it now appears from your comment that if I could downgrade my firmware to.77 then that would remove the main source of my issues aka the thing powering down.

Downloaded .77 and lucky me the stupid player doesn’t detect anything, please don’t tell me it’s been coded so you can’t roll back to earlier firmwares !..I don’t want stupid EU meddling firmware that ruins the things operation.

Anybody know if there’s a way to get.77 on a unit that shipped with.79.

Since the hardware is different between the 77 release and the 79 release, you risk bricking your unit if you do that.  I would strongly advise against it.

However, if you still want to give it a try, you can open the .VER file and edit it in notepad, and change the version ID to something GREATER than 1.01.79, say, “1.01.80.”

That will cause the WD to believe the file is NEWER instead of older.  However, don’t be surprised if it doesn’t work at all, because of the hardware changes, it may check internally to see if it’s for the right hardware.

If there is hardware differences between units that shipped with .77 & .79 then that would make them Gen3’s surely.

I took that post as meaning a chip in the gen2 is being made to shut down the unit via .79 because the EU are making them and that the hadware is present in all Gen2’s but not made to power down via firmware pre .79

I doubt very much that WD would re-engineer the unit a 3rd time?

To those of you with Gen2 WDTV’s running firmware 1.01.77…what is your P/N on he device?

I ask as mine reads: WDBABG0000NBK-01 running 1.01.79.

Essentially I am interested in knowing if you have the “-01” at the end of the P/N or not.

Older GEN2’s are WDBABF… not ABG.

There are two different hardware revs of the gen 2. The second hardware rev is the one that shipped with .79.

So he question is still whether nrnaming to .80 will get my doorstop , sorry .79 version to load the previous

firmware. followed by will it simply stop that **bleep** EuP MCU powering off my unit or not work properly or kill it 

You are NOT going to get an “Ok” from WD on that.    You’re going to be on your own… 

Anyone want to swop for a Gen1 !.. I bet it’s only us suckers in the EU.S.S.R that have these in our Gen2’s

I doubt it…  We blokes here in the USA have it in the Newer Live (which also had an older rev without it)  and all Live Pluses. 

Sounds like a good case for someone to make a homebrew firmware that prevents it going totally off and just spinning down the discs like the last one did.

If anyone with the necessary skills is reading…can you add PGS subtitle detection for m2ts files as by the time

WD get round to it Blu-Rays will probably be obsolete :smileyvery-happy:

Hi guys, I am a complete newbie to all of this. I bought a WDTV HD Media player last week. Firmware version 1.01.79

P/N WDBABG0000NBK - 01

Model WDBABG0000NBK - EESN

I was going to try and get movie screens to show up on my device, but i think that requires soome custom fiirware updates? Does the fact that i have this newer version of the player i am blocked from making any changes to the media player?

I just purchased a new unit from Amazon and it had the 1.01.79 firmware installed. It was a WDBABF model, so I flashed it back to .077 and it works fine. Looks like WD is flashing the WDBABF models with .079 also. This would only work if the hardware was at least backward compatible. I think .079 will be released for the WDBABF sooner or later.

Whish I had a changelog though.

This is were i get confused, WD has released another built of a player that clearly has issues but does not seem to be still supported by WD support.

It is just about  a year since a new firmware was released and they are now release a hardware modified version when they seem to be close to discontinuing it ?

To bad there is no feedback from WD

Powel wrote:> To bad there is no feedback from WD

No feedback???  WD staff has been very open and polite in this thread (as well as others).

Just because “I don’t know. The firmware roadmap changes so often that I really can’t say either way. I’m sorry I can’t give you a better answer” wasn’t the answer you were looking for doesn’t mean that WD hasn’t been paying attention and offering the best answers they can.

If WD doesn’t know whether they’ll ever update the Gen2, or whether they’ll just give up and End-Of-Life it like the Gen1, then you can’t expect any definite answers.

Don’t forget, several further updates for the Gen1 were promised and “coming soon” before WD threw in the towel, so just because they’re looking at things now, doesn’t mean they will ever see the light of day.  At least WD is being honest with the “I don’t know” instead of making promises that ultimately never materialize.

The “update” killed my perectly performing HD TV unit.   DONT DO IT.Â