Can WD TV series play .ISO files?

I am new to this.  I hope to buy one that could read and play all my DVD movies in .ISO format.

Hello,

Yes. ISO files works fine for me… But not .img

Most ISO files work for me but  a few say unsupported format - I haven’t figured out the difference yet.  IMG files do not work.  I haven’t been able to get .AVI (DV) files to work either.

The ISO files play and you can select captions (and language?) but there is no support for navigation using the DVD menus.  This leaves you with FF and REW at a couple of speeds and the 10 minute jump.  I notice several other players even a $39 one that allow navigation using the DVD menus…

I think the difference between the ISOs that work for you and the ones that give an “unsupported format” error could easily be due to the size difference. For whatever reason, the WD TV Gen1 doesn’t play ISOs that are less than about 30 minutes which is a common length for TV episodes. While not very well documented, you can find information on it if you poke around other forums. Maybe if we bring it up enough, it’ll get fixed. The workaround seems to be to use an MKV container instead of an ISO container.

http://wdtvhd.com/index.php?showtopic=4334

http://wdtv.uservoice.com/pages/17442-general/suggestions/182950-dvd-iso-support-for-chapters-shorter-than-30-mins?ref=title

Thank you for this information. But I would like a firmware update on this from WD. I do not have the time to convert all short files. Please make a update!

My previous post was based on experience with the Gen1. Now that I have a Gen2, I don’t have the problem with .ISOs that are too short.

This is just another indication that WD (or whatever company they have making these things for them) doesn’t know what the heck their doing. I can imagine that they have discussions like “Well, lets make it work on this device, but not on that device. And on this other device, we’ll have completely different features but not all of them. This’ll really confuse customers…yeah…let’s do that.” Even if they’re not, the outcome is the same so it doesn’t really matter.

The TV Mini will play .ISO files you canretain subtitles and chapters.  My problem is that Search will not detect the .ISO files.  Has anyone else found this problem?

The TV Mini will play .ISO files so I can retain subtitles and chapters in the original DVD. The problem is that when I use search it does not find the .ISO files.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Grandad wrote:

The TV Mini will play .ISO files so I can retain subtitles and chapters in the original DVD. The problem is that when I use search it does not find the .ISO files.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Are you saying that the mini can use the .ISO chapters? That’s not the case with the Gen2.