Why are file changes not backed up?

I altered the filenames and contents of associated files but neither were backed up, it just gave the old filenames.  This must be a very basic aspect of backup software to be able to deal with changing filenames but it does not seem to work.

Hi mikewd, welcome to the community. Smartware is capable of saving multiple copies of a file without having to change the name, but also if the name of the file is changed Smartware will recognize it as a different file. You can explore the smartware.swstor folder inside the external drive to see your backup files. 

Check page 67 for more information on how to save multiple copies.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705057.pdf#page=71

Thanks for the responses, however this is not the answer.

I had already checked in the smartware.swstor folder and found that only the originally named file was there NOT the renamed version of that file.  I was wondering if it had done something clever such as keeping that copy but also another tiny file of changes which it would apply if it were restored.  However I don’t think that has happened, instead it just seems to have missed it.

In this session I renamed perhaps 100 files and none of them were backed up when I ran a backup on that disk.

I am wondering whether I have to manually delete that folder and let it do a full backup of it with the new filenames - exactly the sort of thing you don’t want to have to do with a backup.

This is not about multiple copies of files, it is just single files with new names.  For example download card from camera, the files have default names, do a backup.  Some months later finally get round to rename the files to have sensible names but this time the software does not back them up for some reason.