Which filetypes are backed up

By default a range of file types are NOT backed up, for example shortcuts .lnk files are not backed up.  However if you select the folders and disks separately these files do seem to be backed up although I am not entirely convinced as i have not seen any documents saying that everyting is backed up with this option.

Is there a definitive list of what is or is not backed up with each option as searching only seems to find lists for very old versions of smartware and I suspect they may be out of date.

Personally I can’t see why shortcuts are not backed up by default, in my photo workflow they are extremely important and I have thousands of them so any backup that misses them out is more or less useless. 

If you do a category backup, only supported file extensions will be backed up, but if you do a file backup you can backup all files in a folder, though this does not work for sytem or programs files.  

Supported and non-supported file types in a Category Backup in WD SmartWare Version 1.6.x and earlier

How to backup specific files and folders using WD SmartWare Version 1.6.x and earlier 

Thanks for the reply.  This confirms what I suspected and had found from the first link but not sure why it says version 1.6 which implies it might be different for other versions.

It is very misleading to say that things are backed up when they are not and to say that almost all filetypes are covered when some of the common ones are not covered.  They should certainly fix this, either by making it back them up (best idea) or by changing the wording.