Never to buy a WD product again

Bought WD My Book Essential 2T today…replacing a 1T My Book  Essential which I gave up on approx 6 mos ago due to it’s filling to capacity with backups when  I only have 335 GB memory! Called support and they wanted me to send the drive back to them (with all of my personal info still intact, as it would not erase) and they’d replace…I declined this ridiculous offer, of course. I chalked it up to  a defective drive and decided to give WD a 2nd try today.

Well, well, well…after installing and doing the required “update”…which is anything but user-friendly…I did the also required “restart”…which never happened. It only restarted if I UNPLUGGED the power source! I went through all of the steps again and computer still would NOT RESTART with the WD monster powered! I unplugged it, computer restarted, and  my computer (new, up to date, fast as He!!, etc) became as slow as  molasses when I turned WD back on…and NO it HAD NOT  started it’s 1st back-up yet…it was just “on”.

I am returning the p.o.s. tomorrow and going w/ Toshiba or Seagate.

Thanks,

Disgruntled WD product returner w/ a doctorate so I’m not totally stupid…

First off the update is not required. If you didn’t follow all of the steps like power cycling the drive the drive is probaby bricked. A lot of people skip things they think unimportant and wind up this way.

Joe

That’s right, you have to follow all the steps before you update the firmware, they are not there just cause…