I plug it in, it seems to work at first......and not much happens

I recently purchased My Passport for PC, followed hte installation instuctions etc.  I plug it in every month or so to back things up.  it seems to get stuck on “categorizing your files” and then in the “backup” tab it seems to get stuck on about 1.5 MB of data.  then it just chugs and chugs and nothing else happens.  so i stop the backup, plug it in again, same thing happens.

my goal is to plug this in and have it back my files up.  nothing more.  anyone able to help me out?  thanks in advance.

What is the model number of your passport and the operating system of your computer?

it’s the my passport essential 500 GB, running a laptop with windows vista.

Thread moved to WD Software & Accessories : WD Smartware.

Regards,

Have you tried updating to version 1.5 and using the File backup mode?

merdman19 wrote:

I recently purchased My Passport for PC, followed hte installation instuctions etc.  I plug it in every month or so to back things up.  it seems to get stuck on “categorizing your files” and then in the “backup” tab it seems to get stuck on about 1.5 MB of data.  then it just chugs and chugs and nothing else happens.  so i stop the backup, plug it in again, same thing happens.

my goal is to plug this in and have it back my files up.  nothing more.  anyone able to help me out?  thanks in advance.

in reference to what ardvark said about downloading and installing the latest smartware, I would also make sure to download the lastest firmware and update the drive.  there certainly were issues with previous versions of smartware, so maybe that’s what you’re running into.  just make sure to follow the install instructions to the letter.