Windows 8 and My Book Live

I have windows 8 64 bit…Is the My Book Live(have latest firmware) network drive suppose to work with windows 8 store app…

Or does it only work with usb connection and not network drive…

Because my windows 8 app on my laptop doesn’t recognize my MBL network drive?

Thanks for your time and help

Hi, what app are you referring to? And to answer your question, yes the my book live work fine with windows 8, including smartware and wd2go for remote access. If you mean that the latest version of smartware is not recognizing the my book, try uninstalling that version and install the one that came bundled with the my book.

The windows 8 app in the windows store…is there another wi dows app

the app found in win 8 store is NOT meant for WD MBL… sad to say… I was expecting it, but it will work only with WD MyBook 3…

WD will have to get their act together if they still want people who use win 8 to continue take advantage of their devices… it is true that my MBL works fine in win 8 just as it used to work on win 7, but it is not integrated in the win 8 environment: if you look in the Device Manager it will give you “Code 10”, a (class) driver error. Same if you look in Devices tab under “Change PC Settings”: there appears a “Driver Error” message… finally the device does not appear among the Devices when you tap on the Devices button on the Charm Bar: which means it is not integrated in the win 8 environmnet and does not responds to “contracts” with apps…

This is utterly annoying, also given the fact that win 8 has been around since September 2011 for developers to try and test (I myself have been using it on and off since then)…

Given that also WD TV Live is experiencing issues with the win 8 environment (it appears as “Not Certified for Windows”, and, again, does not appear among the “play to” devices on the charm bar), I am wondering what WD is waiting for!!! Or maybe they just want win 8 costumers to say goodbye to WD (given that similar products will surely soon come from MS itself, and will definetely bring more compatibility…)

…in the meantime, let’s hope in (and pester) WD…

1 Like

I hope microsoft does make a product similar soon…I will buy it

apparently MS will produce a smaller XBox dedicated to streaming media from pc, storage devices to TV or other devices…

Windows 8 has all the ingerdiants of a Win7 OS, So all the application of WD whiare are working on Win7 will work in Win8.

Only issue the GUI Interface need to understand well in Win8.

I have just “upgraded” to Window 8 OS and cannot get the My Book drive to operate. It seems that the supplied software is only good for Win7 and it will not work under Win8. Is there an upgrade to the software available?

I have read the earlier reply but it is not correct to say the this drive will work under Win8 - it does not.

I have a laptop with windows 8…it will see the network drive but has an error in device manager…but it does work and i cN see folders with windows 8

Windows 8 32bit seems to work fine. The 64bit version is having driver issues tho.

I didn’t have any issues. Am running Windows 8 Pro 64bit. Initial set up was a bit of a pain - very slow and convoluted but working great now it’s working. I suggest you keep trying.