Occasional Visitor
johnsails

WDsmartware building etilqs_ files in my windows temp folder - filling my drive!

WDsmartware building etilqs_ files in my windows temp folder - filling my drive!

I have a passport  version 1.5.1.6 

the smart software is filling my dirve.

Look in your C:/windows/Temp/  forler, and you'll see a ton of these file.

you need to delete them...  It will choke your PC or notebook to death....

Is there a new smartware version coming out to fix this.?

thanks

Honored Contributor
ThePizzaMatrix

Re: WDsmartware building etilqs_ files in my windows temp folder - filling my drive!

Hi there 1.5.1.6 is the latest version, but what happens to you is normal. Smartware tends to create shadow copies to avoid touching the original files, so either just erase the temp files or stop using Smartware.

I use Windows Backup with my drive, and most people use other preferred tools as well.

You are reading a ghost long gone.
Occasional Visitor
johnsails

Re: WDsmartware building etilqs_ files in my windows temp folder - filling my drive!

that is really not a solution for WDsmartware....

And sure if it doesn't work use another program...

that's a serious defect that should be corrected or the product should not be distributed.

I can think of a few programming ways to fix that problem, why not make the effort and fix it?

thanks for the comments

john

Honored Contributor
ThePizzaMatrix

Tell that to WD, not to me. As far as I know this is intentional since working with shadow copies instead of the original files decreases the possibility of data corruption, so I don't think they will "fix" this if this is how it's meant to work...

You are reading a ghost long gone.
Occasional Visitor
darich

I must be having the same problem?  I have lost 5 gigabytes from my hard drive in the last few days, tracked it down to the etilqs_ files in my temp folder and the most recent change I've made to my PC is creating a back-up plan using SmartWare.  This doesn't seem right.  I've noticed my PC has slowed down a bit too.

Occasional Advisor
CharlieATL

[ Edited ]

I have just spoken with WD Tier 2 support agent [deleted], and he says that the creation of the etilqs files is the proper operation of Smartware.  He also stated that the Windows operating system (all versions) incorporates the SQ engine and is supposed to delete the etilqs files automatically, thereby preventing the filling up of our internal drives.  When I told him that this was not happening with my copy of Windows 7, he indicated that it was a Microsoft problem, that my OS was not operating properly.  

Apparently a lot of us have defective copies of the Windows operating system.

Frequent Advisor
Robert_C

I must have multiple WIndows XP defects too :smileyhappy:

None of my computers EVER have created these "etilqs", except the one and only one that recently had the WDSMartWare installed on. Their support once told me the "DIsk Cleanup" removes these files. It doesn't. I just need to remember to go into my Windows\Temp folder once in a while and remove them.

Shadowing files is fine... Using SQL-Lite (I think that's the name they once mentioned), without deleting the files it creates, is not ok. They need to find a different way to "shadow" files, if that's the case.

Occasional Advisor
CharlieATL

Robert -

What I have found is that if you go into the temp folder using Windows Explorer, and highlight all of the etilqs files, then delete them, you will get rid of all of the ones except those created today.  I guess that is as good as it gets.

Frequent Advisor
Robert_C

Yes of course.. and that's what I've been having to do. But, contrary to what WD told me, the WIndows "Disk Cleanup" does not do that. Think about all the people out there who aren't involved with these threads on this forum. They probably have no idea what's going on, or why they might be running out of disk space.

Occasional Advisor
CharlieATL

Absolutely!  It took me about 45 minutes of searching on the Internet to figure it out.  Plus I was in a panic state because my SSD was totally full when I turned my PC on that morning.  I had 35Gb worth of etilqs files.  

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD