Occasional Advisor
In_Hong_Kong

Re: WDsmartware building etilqs_ files in my windows temp folder - filling my drive!

Thanks to everyone for information. I had no idea these files were being saved on my main drive but wondered why I was running short of space. I have just retrieved 22Gb by deleting them.

Advisor
Breach

Re: WDsmartware building etilqs_ files in my windows temp folder - filling my drive!

This is totally unacceptable. I am running off my SSD drive which is only 128GB in size and SW had managed to fill my Temp folder with 30GBs of these files. This is not documented, not user-configurable and a total fiasco. Thanks for this thread - I am uninstalling SW and will never look back. Shame on you WD.

Occasional Contributor
Thuse

[ Edited ]

I tried the command line technique in the post several pages above, but ran into problems.  Once it started trying to delete these eti* files it said I didn't have permission.  I went over to the MS User's Blog, and some guy pointed me to the free program you can dowload here:

"Download, install, and run WinDirStat

This program lists ALL your files, including the hidden ones.  You can delete them one at a time, which seems tedious, but very worthwhile if you get rid of 30 GB at a time.  WinDirStat is a useful program in itself.  I wonder why Window doesn't have a similar capability.  Windows explorere, for instance, doesn't show these "hidden" files, so you can't delete them from there.

I've just updated to version 1.6.  I'll sure check to see that this problem is fixed.  It took me half a day of figuring out how to delete this files with MS's help, and no help from WD.p://sourceforge.net/projects/windirstat/

Staff
daytrdr

I wanted to update and post that this issue shouldn't exist in our 1.6.0 version of the software.

Please be sure to click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Occasional Contributor
Thuse

I can get rid of one file at a time with the multistep procedure two posts above, whiich was OK when I was getting rid of 1 to 40 GB at a time.  However, I have about 100 small ones left, and it offends my sense of neatness.  I'd get rid of them with a DOS script, but when I use DEL  on them it says I'm not authorized to delete those files.  

Can WD post a DOS file or something simpler that would allow getting rid of them more easily.  Remember, when I look at this directory with Windows Explorer on  my Vista system these files just don't show up.  Perhaps for version 1.6.x you could get the WD program to automatically delete any obsolete ones that it generated in the past.  Thuse

Occasional Contributor
Thuse

Can someone from WD please give me a method to remove several hundred of these old etil* files in my Windows/Temp folder?  They add up to 7 GB, and serve no useful purpose.  They were generated by WD software.

Occasional Contributor
Thuse

[ Edited ]

I went to the Microsoft Answers Forum for help on this topic, and after a lot of work by me and them, got an answer on how to delete those un-needed etil* files that WD generated.  IMHO it is WD's responsibility to delete them on the many computers they may have put these obsolete files on, or at least tell users how to delete them themselves.  It isn't enough to say that the latest update doesn't make them anymore.  WD left a lot of garbage for others to clean up.

mag

The first URL takes you to the last post, which gives the DOS command to delete these files, after you've done some other things that may be necessary.  The second URL takes you back to the first thread that started this discourse.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-performance/what-ms-tools-are-availab...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-performance/disk-full-messages-keep-r...

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD